Singbulli Oolong Darjeeling

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jennkay

• “My tasting notes about this one seem to be all over the place and this one is no different. Today, it reminds me a lot of a breakfast tea with some astringency, which is appropriate for this morning. ” Read full tasting note
    jennkay19 349 tasting notes
  • “ The aroma’s very strong on a certain herbal, or perhaps grassy, note I find in some first flush Darjeelings. It’s not one I particularly enjoy, so I’m pleased that it’s much less prominent in the...” Read full tasting note
    greenteafairy 170 tasting notes
  • “So this one one of the free samples I got when the company was offering them. I'm just getting to them now, but at least I'm getting to them. Lol. The leaves are beautiful. Twisty with silvery...” Read full tasting note
    Shadowfall 149 tasting notes
  • “Yay for more samples! I enjoyed this Darjeeling, it really is an interesting oolong in that it is a more oxidized black tea. The darjeeling muscatel notes are very pronounced tempered with the...” Read full tasting note
    sftgfop 122 tasting notes

From Single Origin Teas

While the Darjeeling province is renowned for their black teas, this unique oolong shows the level of diversity these fine estates can muster. To make this oolong, smaller batches are prepared and processed in a unique manner, creating a darker oxidized brew. Smaller batches ensure a high quality and taste, while the partial oxidization gives a unique nutty taste along with a muscatel aroma. Tightly twisted and rolled leaves create the tea’s bronze-color, with a high number of tips.

Singbulli is an organic tea estate established in 1924. It has recently applied for Fair Trade certification, and is committed to maintaining a high level of quality in tea.

About Single Origin Teas View company

The aroma’s very strong on a certain herbal, or perhaps grassy, note I find in some first flush Darjeelings. It’s not one I particularly enjoy, so I’m pleased that it’s much less prominent in the flavor. This is a bright, almost citrusy tea. I’m not picking up on the nutty oolong aspect of it mentioned in the description, and I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have been able to identify it as an oolong if I hadn’t known beforehand. There’s a little bit of astringency, which I enjoy in a Darjeeling. Thanks for the sample, Nicole_Martin!

So this one one of the free samples I got when the company was offering them. I’m just getting to them now, but at least I’m getting to them. Lol.

The leaves are beautiful. Twisty with silvery fuzz on them, but easy to measure out with a normal tsp.
Honestly, if I were to go by smell alone I’d have dumped this tea without trying it. The smell was very musky and reminded me of the smell that hits me when I go into the Australia house at the Zoo. Bleh. Thankfully I don’t get that same taste when I drink it. It’s kinda fruity, with just a hint of musk (though more woodsy musk and not animal musk). It’s pretty astringent to me, especially as it cools.

Glad I gave this a try, but as with many other darjeelings I’ve tried, this one isn’t my cup of tea.

Yay for more samples! I enjoyed this Darjeeling, it really is an interesting oolong in that it is a more oxidized black tea. The darjeeling muscatel notes are very pronounced tempered with the nuttyness of an oolong.

I have had a fairly generous amount of it for a while now and I believe it I obtained it at Shadowfall’s stash sale. I think I had it at least once before, but it is only a few days ago that I actually got around to focusing on its nature.

I must say that I really liked it! I remember that the aroma was absolutely gorgeous and sweet. The flavors I got from it were a cross between a lightly roasted oolong (perhaps dong ding?) and a delicious, not-too-strong darjeeling. I think this is a very unique tea and I wouldn’t mind getting some more in the future, whether from the Single Origin Teas or other place.

Oh, and the dry leaf is SOOOO beautiful. It’s silver-lined light green, wiry and thick leaves.

TTB&C #10

This one jumped out at me tonight. I didn’t read much about this one before brewing a cup and to be honest I am not sure what to think. It is not like any oolong I have had. It has the musky darjeeling taste. It is sweet at the finish of the sip, and there is a hint of oolong. Not a favorite, but not bad.