Vietnam Black OP1

Edit tea info Last updated by kimquat
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 11 oz / 325 ml

2 Images

From Single Origin Teas

An unusual black tea with a faint spiced aroma. Freshly dried black pepper and cinnamon tastes overlay this full-bodied black. A good tea for the winter, or for making Chai!

Vietnam is one of the lesser known tea producing countries. Ranked as the 6th highest producing country for tea, we enjoy the unique spicy terroir of this brew. Our Vietnam Black OP1 does not come from a single farmer, but a cooperative in northern Vietnam.

About Single Origin Teas View company

Distressingly close to the bottom of the packet. Don’t have many new adjectives for this one (sweet, bright, peppery and perky used previously); but it has been consistently and reliably good, appears to be in the can’t-ruin-it category. Well worth checking out if you need something pleasant to go with your elevenses.

Thanks, Nicole_Martin again!

This tea reminds me a lot of Assams. It is fruity, malty and full-bodies, but still fairly light and sweet.

Backlog:

An exceptional black tea. I’ve tried a few Vietnamese black teas, this one might be my favorite thus far.

It tastes rich, warm and welcoming. A strong tea – it would hold up to the additions of milk and honey well if you like to add those to your tea. Me, I don’t usually, so I found this to be perfectly lovely on it’s own.

A sweet, honey-esque undertone with notes of earth and leather. Hints of a fruity sweetness too, like dried fruit – raisins. I also note a cinnamon-like taste here too.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/10/15/vietnam-black-tea-op1-from-single-origin-teas/

This is another of my many samples from Nicole_Martin. I think this might be my first Vietnamese tea, and I’m enjoying it quite a bit. The flavor is crisp and sweet with a hint of malt, kind of like a very light Assam. I’m not getting pepper, but that’s no loss as far as I’m concerned. I’ll be enjoying the rest of the generous sample Nicole shared; my one criticism is that I do wish Single Origin gave brewing instructions for their teas. Since they don’t, I went with 1 tsp./8 oz., boiling, for 3:30, just for reference.

This was a tasty cup this morning. It’s strong and does seem like it would go with some chai spices and even milk. I don’t know if I steeped too long but it’s just shy of being astringent. It’s a little sweet somehow and a bit peppery at times. Thank you Single Origin Teas for the generous sized sample, I wouldn’t have found you otherwise :)

From the Unflavored Traveling Tea Box.

Brewed Western style. The dry leaf aroma smells of maple syrup and caramel, and the wet leaf aroma of chocolate. I intended to use only 8oz of water but overestimated by 100% (I had just woken up….). I thought that the taste would be watered down, and to put in another teaspoon of leaf. But this tea is flexible. The liquor – orange, medium-bodied, and clear – is still flavorful with malt and bitter dark chocolate. It also has a spicy aftertaste, a little like ginger snap cookies. Delicious morning cup!

Single Origin Teas

I like to think that the spice flavor comes from growing in such a unique country!

MzPriss’ Unflavored Tea Box – Tea #17
I’d agree with everything Veronica said about this one! Malty, with mild spice notes, and very raisin like! The cup is a mid-level strength… so I wish it were more malty and raisiny. Just read her much better tasting note. :D Sorry for the lame tasting notes lately, I’m NOT doing this tea box justice!
Just so everyone is aware, though this tea is good, I’ve tried a few other teas from Single Origin that I liked even more. Keep the Kaporet Kenya in mind as well as the Ginseng Oolong: super-brain-poweriest of all the Ginseng Oolongs. Maybe if I were sipping some now, my tasting notes would be better.

Single Origin Teas

Raisin is a great description. Usually when I read anything raisin I think grape and then muscatel. But this kind of has that raisin sweetness without the grape? haha now it sounds like I need to drink some of the Ginseng Oolong!

(From the Unflavored Traveling Tea Box)

The UTTB arrived today, and after much oohing and ahhing at the amazing teas I get to taste I chose this one as my starting point. I’ve never tried a tea from Vietnam before, and SOT’s description of it intrigued me.

This tea is good. Very good. The color of the infused tea is a medium amber, and the smell is a mix of spice and leather. It’s an appealing and very comforting smell. It makes me think of a nice study with deep leather chairs to curl up in while reading. The taste also has a hint of cinnamon as well as some malt. It’s not as malty as an Assam, but there are similarities. There are also notes of raisin as the tea cools a bit which I’m really enjoying. I also like how full this tea is. It has a thickness and a richness to it that makes me want to stop everything and just enjoy it. I think this could be either a breakfast or an afternoon tea, but I see myself reaching for it more in the afternoon when I’m really needing a nice tea break.

Well, if this is any indicator of the kinds of teas I’m going to be drinking for the next few days then I am a luck girl. This tea is going on my shopping list.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML