Vietnam Black OP1

Edit tea info Last updated by gmathis

From Single Origin Teas

An unusual black tea with a faint spiced aroma. Freshly dried black pepper and cinnamon tastes overlay this full-bodied black. A good tea for the winter, or for making Chai!

Vietnam is one of the lesser known tea producing countries. Ranked as the 6th highest producing country for tea, we enjoy the unique spicy terroir of this brew. Our Vietnam Black OP1 does not come from a single farmer, but a cooperative in northern Vietnam.

About Single Origin Teas View company

Distressingly close to the bottom of the packet. Don’t have many new adjectives for this one (sweet, bright, peppery and perky used previously); but it has been consistently and reliably good, appears to be in the can’t-ruin-it category. Well worth checking out if you need something pleasant to go with your elevenses.

Thanks, Nicole_Martin again!

This tea reminds me a lot of Assams. It is fruity, malty and full-bodies, but still fairly light and sweet.

Backlog:

An exceptional black tea. I’ve tried a few Vietnamese black teas, this one might be my favorite thus far.

It tastes rich, warm and welcoming. A strong tea – it would hold up to the additions of milk and honey well if you like to add those to your tea. Me, I don’t usually, so I found this to be perfectly lovely on it’s own.

A sweet, honey-esque undertone with notes of earth and leather. Hints of a fruity sweetness too, like dried fruit – raisins. I also note a cinnamon-like taste here too.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/10/15/vietnam-black-tea-op1-from-single-origin-teas/

This is another of my many samples from Nicole_Martin. I think this might be my first Vietnamese tea, and I’m enjoying it quite a bit. The flavor is crisp and sweet with a hint of malt, kind of like a very light Assam. I’m not getting pepper, but that’s no loss as far as I’m concerned. I’ll be enjoying the rest of the generous sample Nicole shared; my one criticism is that I do wish Single Origin gave brewing instructions for their teas. Since they don’t, I went with 1 tsp./8 oz., boiling, for 3:30, just for reference.

This was a tasty cup this morning. It’s strong and does seem like it would go with some chai spices and even milk. I don’t know if I steeped too long but it’s just shy of being astringent. It’s a little sweet somehow and a bit peppery at times. Thank you Single Origin Teas for the generous sized sample, I wouldn’t have found you otherwise :)