Gopaldhara Darjeeling First Flush

Grass, Peach
Edit tea info Last updated by Nicole

• “sipdown! but i apparently didn't add this to the cupboard so it doesn't really count haha. Another tea from *nicole* I'm learning to apprecaite dajeelings a little more. I still won't pick one...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4704 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown # 65, this one also from *Sil*, who received it from *Nicole*. Thanks! Admittedly, I'm not as huge of a fan of Darjeelings as I am of some other teas, & although I enjoy them, I've yet to...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2859 tasting notes
  • “This is very reminiscent of a green tea in a lot of ways. The leaves are very, very green and the liquid is light golden. It is very light, very mildly astringent and fruity. I don't often drink...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 512 tasting notes
  • “Its not often I like the greener first flush Darjeelings, but Gopaldahara has made a really interesting one! I tasted notes of stone fruits and peach and mango. Pretty tropical despite technically...” Read full tasting note
    sftgfop 149 tasting notes

From Single Origin Teas

Darjeelings, by their very nature, are defined by choices. The first comes with the picking season, determining whether the tea is a first flush or a second flush. This particular example is a first flush picked from the Gopaldhara tea estate that grows on slopes as high as 7000 ft. One of the larger estates at 172 ha, Gopaldhara was one of the first tea estates to commercially introduce oolongs, white teas, and autumn and frost pickings. Given this, Gopaldhara is leading the Darjeeling tea market into uncharted waters.

Another choice occurs during the preparation of first flush teas. Some estates create a more oxidized version, while others, like Gopaldhara, favor a lighter fermentation, resulting in a greener, more delicate brew. This first flush Darjeeling is flavorful with a mild astringency, boasting traces of mango and other tropical fruits.

This tea is truly unique, and as such does require a special brewing method: it is best to not use boiling water, but rather boiled water that has cooled for about 3-5 minutes. Freshly boiled water will burn the tea leaves!

About Single Origin Teas View company

sipdown! but i apparently didn’t add this to the cupboard so it doesn’t really count haha. Another tea from nicole I’m learning to apprecaite dajeelings a little more. I still won’t pick one up over a good black or puerh per say, but i for sure like them more than i used to. This one has a touch of stringency to it but in a way that reminds me of some green teas that i’ve had. It’s got lots of fruity notes to it…similar to peach but not quite. Overall an enjoyable cup! Thanks again Nicole!

Sipdown # 65, this one also from Sil, who received it from Nicole. Thanks!
Admittedly, I’m not as huge of a fan of Darjeelings as I am of some other teas, & although I enjoy them, I’ve yet to ever find one that I would crave. I might find myself in the mood to drink a Fujian Black, or a Laoshan Green, or a Wuyi Oolong, but I kind of doubt that I’ll ever find myself in the mood to drink a Darjeeling, especially the ones that look fairly green to me. Nonetheless, this wasn’t a bad cup by any means, kind of light & fruity.

This is very reminiscent of a green tea in a lot of ways. The leaves are very, very green and the liquid is light golden. It is very light, very mildly astringent and fruity. I don’t often drink first flushes so I don’t have a lot of points of comparison but this is nice.

Its not often I like the greener first flush Darjeelings, but Gopaldahara has made a really interesting one! I tasted notes of stone fruits and peach and mango. Pretty tropical despite technically being a black darjeeling. As I let it over brew I got green peppers.

The leaves are really green!

I went to the orthopedist this morning for my shoulder and the first thing out of his mouth was, “well we could do surgery” EEEEEKKK luckily he followed it up by saying he’d prefer to do PT and cortisone shots along with NSAIDs for now. Me too!

But now I hurt from his poking prodding and manipulating. Normally I’d go for a standard comfort tea but my shame at seeing the number of samples sitting in my cupboard unreviewed overtook me and luckily this was a nice choice for something light.

Now onto the tea—Fruity! Peachy and light. Very green tasting. My first Darjeeling in a very long time. I’ve forgotten what they tasted like so I don’t know what to compare it to.

The site said to use boiling water that had cooled for 3-5 minutes. I want to know what temp! I guessed 195 and well it tasted good so that’s something?

ETA held up to a second steep nicely. I had no idea if I should try or not but figured worse case I wasted 6oz of water. Steeped for about 3-3.5 minutes. Lighter flavor but more fruity than grassy this time.

Flavors: Grass, Peach