Gopaldhara Darjeeling First Flush

Edit tea info Last updated by Nicole

• “sipdown! but i apparently didn't add this to the cupboard so it doesn't really count haha. Another tea from *nicole* I'm learning to apprecaite dajeelings a little more. I still won't pick one...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4026 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown # 65, this one also from *Sil*, who received it from *Nicole*. Thanks! Admittedly, I'm not as huge of a fan of Darjeelings as I am of some other teas, & although I enjoy them, I've yet to...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2475 tasting notes
  • “This is very reminiscent of a green tea in a lot of ways. The leaves are very, very green and the liquid is light golden. It is very light, very mildly astringent and fruity. I don't often drink...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 423 tasting notes
  • “Its not often I like the greener first flush Darjeelings, but Gopaldahara has made a really interesting one! I tasted notes of stone fruits and peach and mango. Pretty tropical despite technically...” Read full tasting note
    sftgfop 122 tasting notes

From Single Origin Teas

Darjeelings, by their very nature, are defined by choices. The first comes with the picking season, determining whether the tea is a first flush or a second flush. This particular example is a first flush picked from the Gopaldhara tea estate that grows on slopes as high as 7000 ft. One of the larger estates at 172 ha, Gopaldhara was one of the first tea estates to commercially introduce oolongs, white teas, and autumn and frost pickings. Given this, Gopaldhara is leading the Darjeeling tea market into uncharted waters.

Another choice occurs during the preparation of first flush teas. Some estates create a more oxidized version, while others, like Gopaldhara, favor a lighter fermentation, resulting in a greener, more delicate brew. This first flush Darjeeling is flavorful with a mild astringency, boasting traces of mango and other tropical fruits.

This tea is truly unique, and as such does require a special brewing method: it is best to not use boiling water, but rather boiled water that has cooled for about 3-5 minutes. Freshly boiled water will burn the tea leaves!

About Single Origin Teas View company

sipdown! but i apparently didn’t add this to the cupboard so it doesn’t really count haha. Another tea from nicole I’m learning to apprecaite dajeelings a little more. I still won’t pick one up over a good black or puerh per say, but i for sure like them more than i used to. This one has a touch of stringency to it but in a way that reminds me of some green teas that i’ve had. It’s got lots of fruity notes to it…similar to peach but not quite. Overall an enjoyable cup! Thanks again Nicole!

Sipdown # 65, this one also from Sil, who received it from Nicole. Thanks!
Admittedly, I’m not as huge of a fan of Darjeelings as I am of some other teas, & although I enjoy them, I’ve yet to ever find one that I would crave. I might find myself in the mood to drink a Fujian Black, or a Laoshan Green, or a Wuyi Oolong, but I kind of doubt that I’ll ever find myself in the mood to drink a Darjeeling, especially the ones that look fairly green to me. Nonetheless, this wasn’t a bad cup by any means, kind of light & fruity.

This is very reminiscent of a green tea in a lot of ways. The leaves are very, very green and the liquid is light golden. It is very light, very mildly astringent and fruity. I don’t often drink first flushes so I don’t have a lot of points of comparison but this is nice.

Its not often I like the greener first flush Darjeelings, but Gopaldahara has made a really interesting one! I tasted notes of stone fruits and peach and mango. Pretty tropical despite technically being a black darjeeling. As I let it over brew I got green peppers.

The leaves are really green!