Amba Ceylon OP1

Edit tea info Last updated by Nicole
Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

• “Big ol' long leaves just like the picture; I am going to have to _think_ about this one a lot. Steeps to a rich, deep red orange and has the essence of citrus and sweet spice. But not perky...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1630 tasting notes
  • “I was surprised to discover that I hadn't already rated this lovely Ceylon so here it goes: In my book, this is the archetype of a high quality Ceylon. You get what you see: the hand rolled...” Read full tasting note
    dcs121989 35 tasting notes
  • “In my opinion, this tea is a real beauty. I wanted to try something from Single Origin Teas for a while and this really intrigued me. I definitely get the eucalyptus aroma here, along with a bit of...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2177 tasting notes

From Single Origin Teas

This tea comes from one of the few artisanal tea producers in Sri Lanka. It is also the finest example of terroir in Sri Lanka. We feel it accurately represents the Uva climate in this diverse country; the high altitude and harsh drought conditions this estate faces create a unique and unrivaled quality. These stressful growing conditions are then complimented with a fine level of plucking: one leaf and one bud. Hand rolled, fermented and dried, this tea receives a level of care that is close to devotion. We believe this tea to be our finest!

Amba is prized because of the unique, menthol almost eucalyptus aroma from the leaves. Add a maraschino cherry sweetness with the classic citrus undertones of Sri lanka and you experience a very complex cup of tea!

Uva is one of the many premier tea regions of Sri Lanka. This highly mountainous region proves ideal for tea. Across the valley from Amba one can see Lipton’s Seat, one of the best view points in Sri Lanka.

While not certified; we know Amba to be an organic tea estate. Located at the top of the Ravana Ella falls, Amba looks out over a dramatic tableau of the Sri Lankan mountains, and is truly the perfect place for growing tea. It is operated by an aid worker, Beverly, who utilizes her knowledge of Sri Lanka to bring economic development to the region of Ambadandegama, as well as several charities around the area and in Colombo.

One of the classics, this is what an Uva Ceylon can and should taste like! We would urge you first to try it without milk, as its delicious nature deserves to be appreciated on its own

About Single Origin Teas View company

Big ol’ long leaves just like the picture; I am going to have to think about this one a lot. Steeps to a rich, deep red orange and has the essence of citrus and sweet spice. But not perky cinnamon-orangey. Deep, dark spice. Nutmeg, maybe.

For sure, it’ll change any preconceived notions you have about Ceylon teas!

Hmmmm you’ve intrigued me :)

gmathis

Thanks! As well-steeped as you are, I take that as a compliment of the highest order.

yyz

Interesting. I have a Ceylon that believe it or not I brew gongfu style. It’s syrupy and fruity. This one sounds lovely.

Nicole

I am not a Ceylon person, but I recall liking this one.

ashmanra

I dislike high altitude Ceylons but love low altitude ones. This sounds like my cup o’ tea!

haha i haven’t tried a lot of teas… still so many to explore! but i’ve sort of stayed away from most ceylons (straight) so i’m intrigued enough to add to the list to try later!

gmathis

I think Ceylons get a bad rap because the description shows up on so many cheap B-grade teabags.

probably :(

I was surprised to discover that I hadn’t already rated this lovely Ceylon so here it goes:

In my book, this is the archetype of a high quality Ceylon.

You get what you see: the hand rolled leaves you see in the image are exactly what you get, once steeped they unfurl and give off that wonderful earthy-Ceylon smell. None of that menthol aroma on these tea leaves.

This tea has both earthy and floral notes, and its a lovely amber color. As the tea cools the earthiness becomes more predominant. When piping hot – my favorite way to drink tea – the steam an floral aroma mix and its not so bad to be awake in the early morning. The smooth floral flavor has an elusive hint of fruit that I just cant put my finger on.

This also makes a delicious iced tea with or without lemon.

In my opinion, this tea is a real beauty. I wanted to try something from Single Origin Teas for a while and this really intrigued me. I definitely get the eucalyptus aroma here, along with a bit of malt, full bodied sweetness and the citrus fruitiness. This is definitely a cup of tea to be savored at a quiet time with some contemplation. I love the long, slender leaves here as well.

Ceylons don’t tend to rank highly in my “favorite tea” department but when I find a good one I can be kind of blown away. This is definitely a good one. Sipped on it plain with no milk or sweetener. If you like ceylons I would suggest giving this a shot, it’s really lovely… not too brisk at all, in fact it’s almost syrupy as it rolls around in your mouth.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML