Yunnan Imperial Black Tea

Edit tea info Last updated by Amanda Wilson

• “Caramel sweetness, fresh-brushed horses, barnyard aroma (that's a _good_ thing for you city slickers)...yep, exactly as advertised, though the barny stuff isn't very prominent until it cools some....” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1631 tasting notes
  • “My birthday weekend has passed and it was pretty mediocre event wise but I got some excellent presents. A nice shiny new pound of dice from Ben and a nice shiny monetary gift from my dear...” Read full tasting note
    SoggyEnderman 204 tasting notes
  • “*Nicole* sent me a big package of yunnans as I can taste several of them. Until now I didn't really explore this type. This one is delicious : malty, smooth. I am afraid being too much urban to...” Read full tasting note
    Ysaurella 294 tasting notes
  • “Wow, this takes me back. I had a horse when I was in junior high/high school. Add another vote for a match on "fresh brushed horses" and "barnyard aroma." Lightly sweet, golden malt... this is a...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 428 tasting notes

From Single Origin Teas

The Yunnan province located in South China above Burma offers many interesting teas. While best known for their Pu-Erhs, Yunnan also produces some excellent black teas. With a unique taste reminiscent of freshly brushed horses, this tea gives a wonderful example of the Yunnan teas. The Imperial grade offers a full bodied black tea, with still a nice level of golden tips for sweetness.

Rich malt with a caramel sweetness gives this tea a wonderful base. Add to that a clean barnyard aroma (we know, an odd way to describe a tea! But it’s a term used in wine, so why not tea?), and this is undoubtedly one of our more complex black teas.

Perfect for afternoons or evenings when you need a nice relaxing black tea.

About Single Origin Teas View company

Caramel sweetness, fresh-brushed horses, barnyard aroma (that’s a good thing for you city slickers)…yep, exactly as advertised, though the barny stuff isn’t very prominent until it cools some. I’d add “weathered leather” as well. Say that five times fast!

Another thumbs up for Single Origin!

K S

Horses (excuse me… fresh-brushed), barnyard, weathered leather – Wow, rarely see those descriptions with a black tea. Awesome!

gmathis

It’s all subtle; not like getting whapped across the face with a feed bag. Someday when you have time for a long yarn I will have to tell you how kindergarten standardized testing ruined my life because I thought a picture of a pillow was a picture of a feed sack.

ashmanra

LOL! I feel your pain, gmathis. My kids were so upset with GeoSafari because it asked what room each thing would be found in. Our fireplace is in the kitchen. That was not the correct answer. I don’t know if they have gotten over that yet. Standardized testing is a travesty, because life isn’t standardized. I now award you belated feed sack points. With interest.

Nicole

Somehow I missed trying this one. I need to place an order with them anyway…

gmathis

The question was: Sally cried when she dropped this. There was a picture of an ice cream cone, and a picture of said pillow/feed sack. Now, I don’t know about you, but ice cream can be replaced. If I dropped a 50 pound sack of grain on my foot, I would cry!

My birthday weekend has passed and it was pretty mediocre event wise but I got some excellent presents. A nice shiny new pound of dice from Ben and a nice shiny monetary gift from my dear grandparents (which I used to order a Minecraft hoodie I have been lusting after for quite a while.) A bit of good news has occurred, I feel inspired again and not only designed some neat perler bead creations, I made a Minecraft Cat 3-D statue too! Go me!

Enough about being inspired to do crafty things, it is time for tea! Today’s tea is another awesome selection from Single Origin Tea, Yunnan Imperial Black. As you can most likely tell from the name, this tea comes from the famed tea growing region of Yunnan, China, a region known for amazing Pu Erhs and even more amazing Black teas (no offense Pu Erhs.) The aroma of this tea is muscatel and sweetly oaky with a tiny hint of cedar and earthiness. It reminds me of oak wine casks with a tiny drop of chocolate and a strongly woody after thought.

Time for a nice steeping! The aroma is much earthier and oakier with the muscatel notes being milder. It is very smooth and sweet and has a touch of loam, like the forest floor after rain. The aroma of the liquid is honey sweet and slightly like sweet grapes, mildly earthy and woodsy as a last whiff. The aroma is still very smooth and sweet, it makes my nose tingle.

The taste is sublime, this is one of the smoothest Black teas I have ever had, bravo! Sweet and earthy with a wonderfully gently mouthfeel. There is a tiny amount of an astringent feeling in the back of the throat after you swallow giving the tea an almost citrus like taste. The aftertaste is oaky and reminds me of the oak cask again. As the tea cools it becomes more woodsy and astringent, the taste also becomes sweeter like honey with a mild chocolate aftertaste. It leaves a pleasant mouth tingling sensation when you drink it cool. This tea is very delicious and is wonderful after a heavy meal or first thing in the morning, adding sugar or cream does not accentuate the flavors at all and really takes away from this tea, so I do not recommend it, enjoy this beauty in its natural form.

For blog and photos (Include the cat statue :P): http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2013/11/single-origin-tea-yunnan-imperial-black.html

CelebriTEA

Ahhh…this sounds wonderful

CelebriTEA

Ahhh…this sounds wonderful!
A belated Happy Birthday to you:-)

Amanda Wilson

Many thanks! _

Nicole sent me a big package of yunnans as I can taste several of them. Until now I didn’t really explore this type.

This one is delicious : malty, smooth. I am afraid being too much urban to detect the fresh brushed horses unfortunately but I get a kind og leather note.
Leather is a note I particularly appreciate in perfumes (like Calèche of Hermès or Cuir de Russie of Chanel). No exception for tea.

Wow, this takes me back. I had a horse when I was in junior high/high school. Add another vote for a match on “fresh brushed horses” and “barnyard aroma.” Lightly sweet, golden malt… this is a really good, really smooth Yunnan.

Ysaurella

you had a horse…I won’t say that to my daughter otherwise she will request me to get one…
This tea seems very nice.I didn’t drink very much Yunnans, for no special reasons, I think I should explore these teas one of these days.

Nicole

Seems like all young girls want horses at some point. :) A horse is an awful lot of work, though. Just tell your daughter that when she asks for one. :) If you need a Yunnan sampler, just let me know. I’ve been obsessing about them for a while now and have several that could be shared. :)

gmathis

Did you binge on horse books? That was my coping mechanism in 3rd grade: Black Beauty, Misty of Chincoteague, National Velvet, and miscellaneous dime store hardbacks with teenagers in plaid shirts and bandannas…

Nicole

I binged on cheap plastic horse models from the local farm & home store. My Barbies rode in style. :) And before I had a horse, I was lucky enough to have a pony – when I was young enough to not be expected to do much of the hard upkeep. :)

gmathis

I remember those plastic horses. But if I had them there wouldn’t be room on the bookshelves for my Trixie Belden collection. Am I dating myself here or what?