Candied Chestnut

Black Food Oolong Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by dcs121989

• “I wouldn't know a chestnut if I tripped over one like a banana peel. So my nose didn't know what to look for when I opened this little sample from *Single Origin Teas*. My first thought was that I...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1628 tasting notes
  • “FAVORITE TEA EVER!!!!!!!!!! Synopsis of my long post: The tea gods love me. You must try this lightly sweet nutty wonderful tea. Full tasting notes come at the end of the post. Back in 2010 I...” Read full tasting note
    dcs121989 35 tasting notes

From Single Origin Teas

Candied Chestnut is one of our holiday teas! Made with candied chestnut pieces on a black tea base, this sweet tea is perfect for the season (or any time of the year). Made using marron glace pieces, French chestnuts that undergo a candying process, our Candied Chestnut tea is one of a kind.

This Chinese black tea is made in an oolong style. The tea brings out a delicious nutty taste many people associate with an oolong (despite the fact that this tea was fully oxidized)!

About Single Origin Teas View company

I wouldn’t know a chestnut if I tripped over one like a banana peel. So my nose didn’t know what to look for when I opened this little sample from Single Origin Teas. My first thought was that I was sniffing chai spice.

Steeped, however, this takes on a whole ‘nother personality—a congenial one! It reminds me of a really, really good oolong (the vendor description confirms that I’m not making that up!) with brown sugar sweetness and that unfamiliar “something” that must be the chestnutty goodness. Leaves your lips and tongue sweet after each sip—like little sugar kisses.

Nicole

Sounds interesting.

FAVORITE TEA EVER!!!!!!!!!!

Back in 2010 I spend a semester at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland and found this amazing tea shop Anteaques. There I had this wonderful chestnut tea. When I came back stateside I searched for a comparable tea. And searched, and searched, then searched some more. Some of the chestnut/nut teas were truly awful – undrinkable- others were ok. I admit I might have been overly hard on these nut teas, but I was on a mission.
Several months ago I was on a Ceylon fix – I’d just finished my last Ceylon – and I purchased some truly delicious teas from Single Origin Teas. Recently I decided to revist their site and that’s when the stars aligned and the tea gods smiled on me. Right there on the home page: Candied Chestnut tea.
I was all like “Be still my beating heart, you’ve been disappointed before”, but given the high quality of the teas I already purchased from Single Origin Teas I had to give it a try. When I smelled the leaves I knew I had found my chestnut tea at last. I swear this is the same tea. This tea makes me happy – the aroma, the taste, the warmth – Keats should have written an ode to this tea. The best part is that the tea lives up to my memory of it. I was starting to think that I had idealized this tea so much that should I drink it again I would be disappointed. Not so. It’s my tea “dream come true”.

Tasting note time:

As I’ve said before with Single Origin Teas what you see is what you get when it comes to the leaves. The dried leaves smell sweet. The first sent to hit your nose is sugary vanilla then comes the sent of chestnut with a barely there hint of fruit from the leaves.
Once brewed the predominant aroma is sweet chestnut with a touch of vanilla and the slightest fruity/floral hint.
Everything about this tea is light, but in a good way. The chestnut flavor is present throughout with a background note of vanilla. It’s sweetest when it’s in your mouth. As you swallow the phantom fruity/floral quality appears again. As the tea cools the fruity note becomes slightly more present.

SFTGFOP