Candied Chestnut

Black Food Oolong Blend
Chestnut, Citrus, Lime, Maple, Rum, Wood, Autumn Leaf Pile, Brown Sugar, Earth, Tobacco
Edit tea info Last updated by dcs121989
Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

From Single Origin Teas

Candied Chestnut is one of our holiday teas! Made with candied chestnut pieces on a black tea base, this sweet tea is perfect for the season (or any time of the year). Made using marron glace pieces, French chestnuts that undergo a candying process, our Candied Chestnut tea is one of a kind.

This Chinese black tea is made in an oolong style. The tea brings out a delicious nutty taste many people associate with an oolong (despite the fact that this tea was fully oxidized)!

About Single Origin Teas View company

1916 tasting notes

I wouldn’t know a chestnut if I tripped over one like a banana peel. So my nose didn’t know what to look for when I opened this little sample from Single Origin Teas. My first thought was that I was sniffing chai spice.

Steeped, however, this takes on a whole ‘nother personality—a congenial one! It reminds me of a really, really good oolong (the vendor description confirms that I’m not making that up!) with brown sugar sweetness and that unfamiliar “something” that must be the chestnutty goodness. Leaves your lips and tongue sweet after each sip—like little sugar kisses.

Nicole

Sounds interesting.

FAVORITE TEA EVER!!!!!!!!!!

Synopsis of my long post: The tea gods love me. You must try this lightly sweet nutty wonderful tea. Full tasting notes come at the end of the post.

Back in 2010 I spend a semester at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland and found this amazing tea shop Anteaques. There I had this wonderful chestnut tea. When I came back stateside I searched for a comparable tea. And searched, and searched, then searched some more. Some of the chestnut/nut teas were truly awful – undrinkable- others were ok. I admit I might have been overly hard on these nut teas, but I was on a mission.
Several months ago I was on a Ceylon fix – I’d just finished my last Ceylon – and I purchased some truly delicious teas from Single Origin Teas. Recently I decided to revist their site and that’s when the stars aligned and the tea gods smiled on me. Right there on the home page: Candied Chestnut tea.
I was all like “Be still my beating heart, you’ve been disappointed before”, but given the high quality of the teas I already purchased from Single Origin Teas I had to give it a try. When I smelled the leaves I knew I had found my chestnut tea at last. I swear this is the same tea. This tea makes me happy – the aroma, the taste, the warmth – Keats should have written an ode to this tea. The best part is that the tea lives up to my memory of it. I was starting to think that I had idealized this tea so much that should I drink it again I would be disappointed. Not so. It’s my tea “dream come true”.

Tasting note time:

As I’ve said before with Single Origin Teas what you see is what you get when it comes to the leaves. The dried leaves smell sweet. The first sent to hit your nose is sugary vanilla then comes the sent of chestnut with a barely there hint of fruit from the leaves.
Once brewed the predominant aroma is sweet chestnut with a touch of vanilla and the slightest fruity/floral hint.
Everything about this tea is light, but in a good way. The chestnut flavor is present throughout with a background note of vanilla. It’s sweetest when it’s in your mouth. As you swallow the phantom fruity/floral quality appears again. As the tea cools the fruity note becomes slightly more present.

SFTGFOP

yay for tea obsessions!

I ordered some samples from single origin and made sure to include this one. I’ve always sort of loved the idea of roasting chestnuts despite never having seen actual chestnuts until I was an adult. Thanks for nothing American chestnut blight! Im glad now I did get it because it has a lot more to offer than fictional nostalgia.

Opening the bag of this and smelling it was strange. It reminds me of like a dark chocolate I once had. Maybe a smoked one? Or one with toasted breadcrumbs? I can’t quite put my finger on it. There is also that toasty sweet smell I recognize from my one (unfortunate) attempt at roasting my own chestnuts.

After brewing it has more of a tea smell and is a dark amber color. I noticed the brewed leaves are different colors some being dark like most black teas while others are milk chocolate colored or even greenish. I looked back at the description and apparently this is a black tea produced like an oolong. It certainly lacks much astringency. It tastes much like it smells with the chocolate and toasty nutty chestnut flavor. I’m also getting burnt sugar flavors. Not bad burnt just the sort you get when you carmalize sugar to a dark amber.

All in all a fantastic, unique, and doesn’t require milk or sugar to taste right flavored tea.

Single Origin Teas

Thanks for your review! The sugar you are probably tasting comes from the the chestnuts that are used. A marron glace are candied chestnuts from France.

I share your same concern over the chestnut blight! There is actually a project to bring back the trees to American forests. . Chestnut trees used to be the dominant species in the Eastern American forests, its so shocking to think about how we as people can so carelessly destroy entire ecosystems (just by bringing one infected tree to a new ecosystem).

Please send me an e-mail (or a private message on here) with your order number/address and I’ll send you some more teas that I think you would enjoy! :)

Gooseberry Spoon

I’ve heard they actually found what may be one of the last adult trees in an undisclosed location in the northeast. Hopefully it’s got good genetics they can use to further their breeding program.

Now we just have to worry about the walnut/butternut blight coming in from the west.

Super tasty! Though I am biased as I love chestnut teas!

The flavor is pretty natural roasted chestnuts without being too sweet. The black base, though light and pretty close to a high oxidized oolong (which this is actually a chinese oolong fully oxidized) with roasty caramel flavor. The base goes well with the chestnut flavor. I got a really good second infusion too!

Full review at Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/single-origin-teas-flavored-tea-review/

Kittenna

Sounds amazing. I love Lupicia’s Chaud les Marrons (or whatever it’s called).

I have just now gotten around to trying this sample that James sent with my most recent order, several months ago now! The scent in the cup as it sat on my desk kept reminding me of black licorice. It was a tasty cup that I had no idea what to except from. I added some half and half for the last part of the cup and that turned it into a creamy delight. I don’t especially care for the scent but the taste is good!

Cameron B.

Yummy. :D

Backlog! From SEVERAL days ago, so all I have is the stuff I jotted down while sipping.

Here goes:

Bitter nut shell.
Citrus.
Maple.
Sour.
Lime.
Rum.

I remember that it did taste more like an oolong than a black tea. The weight of the liquid, the lightness of body and the almost sparkling texture…it was very bright. It wasn’t what I was expecting. I’ll try this again soon, and I’ll make sure to be more precise in my description! Thanks for sending this my way hapatite!

Flavors: Chestnut, Citrus, Lime, Maple, Rum, Wood

hapatite

Glad you enjoyed it!

Single Origin Teas

hearing Lime and Rum makes me think I should re-name it Cuba Libre!

The dry leaves smell of rum and sugared nuts (think of those roasted nut stands in Asia).

The smell of the brewed tea is of roasted nuts and smokiness with a hit of sweetness at the end. The liquor is a light amber. The sip starts buttery and sweet and finishes with a woodsy smoke reminiscent of tobacco. The finish is brought back to an earthy sweetness.

I enjoy this tea and its complexity. It is great as an oolong because black tea would be too astringent. This oolong borders on being almost too astringent, but it pulls itself back from the edge with the sweetness and smokiness. From the leaf I thought it would be much sweeter, but it is actually quite well balanced. I could see this becoming more indulgent with sugar and cream, but I like it just the way it is.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Brown Sugar, Chestnut, Earth, Rum, Tobacco