Earl Grey Classic

Edit tea info Last updated by Lala
Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 12 oz / 354 ml

• “I believe this is my first straight Earl Grey tea I've had in loose form!! I have only tried EGC before this, so I was quite looking forward to it. I had my nap, so now I can actually write a...” Read full tasting note
    misslena1221 903 tasting notes
  • “I knew I was going to like this one based solely on the smell. Strong and sweet oil of bergamot with a black tea base lingering in the background. The tea brews up a nice dark orange colour. It is...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 762 tasting notes
  • “I thought I'd already logged this tea when I was reviewing the other three tea in the Sloane sampler set, but apparently this one fell by the wayside. It's a fairly mild incarnation of earl grey -...” Read full tasting note
    JillDragon 1582 tasting notes
  • “I was given this tea as a gift for Christmas last year and I have been slowly savoring it. I'm now down to my last four sachets. I take it unsweetened with a little milk and it is perfect. The...” Read full tasting note
    jwright7 10 tasting notes

From Sloane Tea Company

This immensely popular black tea is named after British Prime Minister Earl Grey, and since the 1830’s it has been considered a classic. Earl Grey is not a type of tea, rather, it is a blend, consisting of a black tea blended with a robust portion of a beautifully aromatic oil of bergamot.

About Sloane Tea Company View company

I believe this is my first straight Earl Grey tea I’ve had in loose form!! I have only tried EGC before this, so I was quite looking forward to it. I had my nap, so now I can actually write a decent tasting note on a new tea. Also, first tasting note, woo!

The dry smell is soo much bergamot. Wow. It is just crazy how aromatic it is, very perfumed, but not unpleasantly so. I tried steeping this for 4 minutes, again on the low end of the scale of 4-6. The steeped smell is also very bergamot, but toned down at least.

As for the flavor, it is pretty good! This being my first straight EG in loose form, and having not had any bagged of it in AGES, I might be easily impressed, but it seems to be tasty! There is definitely a robust bergamot flavor with a nice black base, a small hint of dryness at the end of the sip, but not overly drying. I don’t think it is bitter, but it is fairly strong, but not to the point where it’s soapy, which is quite a win, as I had a rough bunch of cups with the last bit of EGC by DavidsTea due to a horrid soapiness lol.

Overall, this is a pleasant Earl Grey! I think I still like the cream ones a bit more just because they are a bit more decadent, but this feels like a nice stable tea that makes me feel very alert and almost strong haha, it seems like it could become a solid staple tea for dreary mornings or something. I am definitely not an expert on EG, but I like this one, whether it’s super true to flavor, I couldn’t tell you because I don’t have much to compare to, but it’s enjoyable. Yay for tea :) and another tasty find from Sloane Tea Company!

I knew I was going to like this one based solely on the smell. Strong and sweet oil of bergamot with a black tea base lingering in the background. The tea brews up a nice dark orange colour. It is a smooth with a light to moderate black tea base, it is not bold and there is no astringency. The bergamot is strong but not overpowering, just the way I like it. It is sweet, orange/lemon flavoured. It doesn’t say that it is natural oil of bergamot but it feels natural on my taste buds and there is none of the chemical taste that sometimes comes with just flavour of bergamot. I bought the Sloane sample pack a long time ago and forgot I had not tried this one yet. I am mad I waited so long, but also happy that I know have the whole 1.1oz to savour. I will most likely be purchasing a large tin of this whenever I find it on sale.

I’ll keep you posted if they have a sale here!

I thought I’d already logged this tea when I was reviewing the other three tea in the Sloane sampler set, but apparently this one fell by the wayside. It’s a fairly mild incarnation of earl grey – nice and smooth with the bergamot notes going for subtle rather than ostentatious. It’s fairly average for me as I tend to like the bergamot a bit stronger, but personal bias aside it’s still a well-crafted tea.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

I was given this tea as a gift for Christmas last year and I have been slowly savoring it. I’m now down to my last four sachets. I take it unsweetened with a little milk and it is perfect. The bergamot taste is perfectly strong without being too much. I’ll miss this tea when I finish it.