Queen of the Hill

Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian

From Sloane Tea Company

An extremely tippy Assam tea from India’s steamy Brahmaputra Valley, this Sloane Tea Company Exclusive has a robust character that is complex yet simple to enjoy, making it an ideal companion at any time of day.

TEA PROFILE: Rich golden amber liquor, medium-bodied, brisk and full with a delicately sweet earthy linger.

STEEPING INSTRUCTIONS Steep 1 teaspoon per 6 oz of freshly boiled water for 3-4 minutes, depending on taste. Savour this tea straight or with a touch of milk.

ICED TEA BREWING INSTRUCTIONS (to make 1 litre/quart)
Boil 2 cups of water and pour over 7tsp. (approximately 14g) of tea, in a heat-safe pitcher. Steep for 12 min and then fill with 2 cups of cold water. Remove tea leaves (Sloane Sachet) from pitcher. Garnish with fresh mint, blueberries, or citrus slices.

About Sloane Tea Company View company

Funnily enough, I also picked this one out of my cupboard today. Maybe Terri and i were operating on the same wavelength today or something. :) In the grand scheme of things, this is an average tea. It’s certainly not worth the price in my opinion (9.50 per ounce). Not that it’s an outrageous price but LB is cheaper than that, as is #49 (which is super cheap at 2.50 an ounce or something?) or teavivre’s black dragon pearls etc… long story short, there are better for that price. :) However, i certainly didn’t pay that price as i got a super awesome deal on this one, which makes it much easier to swallow. HA! get it.. yeah… in any case, there’s an astringency here that i’m not a fan of but it’s not so much that i can’t enjoy this tea today. :)

keychange

ha! saw what you did there!

yeah i’m a dork. :)

Terri HarpLady

I enjoyed it with breakfast. There is a very bright upper edge that would have made my tummy hurt if I drank it without having food, but yeah, not worth a high price tag.

Can you spell ASSAM?
I think I am in super taster mode for ‘bitter’ today. Most of you probably know this, but there are basically 5 tastes: Sweet, Sour, Salty, Bitter, & Umami (the savory taste). In Ayurveda & some other Asian cultures there are 6 tastes: Sweet, Sour, Salty, Pungent, Bitter, & Astringent. Anyway, this is a bold & somewhat bitter cup, & the last tea I drank was also a bitter cup. Either I’m really picking up the bitter taste today, or I’m over-leafing, or I’m just drinking bitter teas, LOL.

Sometimes when I am tasting the bitter taste, I take a moment to ask myself, “Am I feeling bitter/resentful towards anyone or anything?” (including myself) If I am, I take a few moments to wish that person happiness, prosperity, good health, etc. If there is something I need to do or say, the best thing is to just do it or say it, & then let go & move on. In this way, tea contributes to my mental state, but giving me a moment to reflect, by reminding me that I have choices today.

caile

That is such a nice idea when drinking bitter teas!

Terri HarpLady

It goes with another practice of mine, when I’m craving sweets, I ask myself if I am lacking sweetness in my life. Regardless of the answer, then I take a few moments to reflect on the sweet elements of my day…the beauty of my home & garden, the beauty of music, the sweetness of my children/grandchildren/students/& others faces. The smell of flowers, colors of nature. There is a lot more sweetness in the world than just the taste: sweet sounds, visuals, words (like poetry), touch, etc. Usually when I’m craving the sweet taste, I’m feeling unsatisfied in some way, which means I need to slow down & appreciate the sweetness of my life. Then if I still want it, I can have pancakes or something, lol.

caile

Hehe – I just took a brownie out of the freezer to thaw as I wanted something sweet! And I was drinking a sweet tea just before that! I think I better start using your practices. :-)

K S

Terri, I read through all the reviews today and checked them off but had to come back and read this one again. I love your questions to yourself. What a wonderful practice. It is interesting how a quite moment with a cup of tea can connect us to the deeper things of life. I will try to remember this post and do likewise.

Savor the moment!

MsWhatsit

I liked the idea of considering the need for other kinds of sweetness in my life. I ought to try that too.

I ♥ NewYorkCiTEA

Good reflective posts and comments. ♥ Thx !

Sipdown, 139. Thanks to Sil for this sample. Another assam, haha. I tried this straight first, did a quick nope, and added milk and sugar. I have come to the realization that I was correct in my assessment that assams are, in general, not for me. Too “brisk”, too “robust”. Taiwanese assams often are the exception to that rule, but I am generally not much for teas from the Indian subcontinent in general. Ah well.

at least you know now…well have a better idea :)

Dinosara

Yes, I’m very glad to have gotten all these samples from you… Always gotta try it out!

Finally got around to tasting this sample kindly sent to me by Sil some time ago.

It is indeed as she noted. An okay tea but nothing special.