YMY 1690 Chrysanthemum Pu-erh

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Alaina

From Stash Tea Company

From the Yamamotoyama tea gardens. Chrysanthemum’s yellow petal, a cooling herb in traditional Chinese medicine, adds a flowery note to Yunnan Pu-erh tea. Pu-erh is fermented tea, prized since the Song Dynasty for its medicinal properties. Contains: Pu-erh, chrysanthemum flowers.

About Stash Tea Company View company

TTB Tea #9:

Ok… the bag of the wrapper says “Pu Erh Oolong”… It really irritates me when a tea company mislabels a tea like this. They should know better. I’m glad this isn’t my 1st YMY experience or I probably would have been turned off from the company.

Steeped as suggested, no rinse. 1 bag (1.81g)/6oz just below boiling water.

Now this is not how I normally prepare pu erhs so bare w/ me…

The liquor is a dark, flat brown w/ just the slightest red tint almost as dark as some coffees.

The aroma is of the entire Chrysanthemum plant… dirt and all. I think I’m detecting a faint black pepper note as well.

The flavor is what you’d expect from the aroma. Based on the steeping parameters I was expecting to get lots of fecality, but instead I was surprised to get just earthy dirt with a slight floral;y sweet aspect. Unfortunately I’m not getting the “grass clippings” that others have gotten… but that could just be due to the color of the liquor. Not bad for a shu (I’m assuming this is shu) considering I’m not a shu kinda person.

Robert Godden

Last week I sampled a pu-er & chrysanthemum mix (loose, mixed on the spot) at Oriental Tea House in Melbourne. I’m not that fond of either, but I found it really good.

Pamela Dean

i like this tea with milk and sweetner

Cofftea

Yeah I don’t like any tea with sweetener unless it’s a flavor echoed in the tea itself (maple syrup in maple sugar black) and I only like milk in chai or chocolate teas.

Not a bad start but got distinctly grassy towards the end of the cup.

Tried a sample. Could’ve been user error on my part, but tasted a lot like lawn clippings.

2nd steep on a teabag, and it’s good in strength and taste — nothing added. That pu-erh is powerful stuff! My gardener son, grinning, calls it “compost tea.” The chrysanthemum does add just a bit of sweetness, without being overtly floral.