Breakfast in Paris

Bergamot, Lavender, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Jan Blencowe

• “I’m a gaming geek. Every Friday night, I’m seated at a table along with my motley bunch of nerds rolling dice, playing an axe wielding barbarian, a creepy necromancer, or an exuberant bard. ...” Read full tasting note
    MsWhatsit 58 tasting notes
  • “I'm a fan of strong black teas, and citrus-y Early Gray, but not so much for teas with floral notes. However, this tea with it's bergamont oil, vanilla and lavender is just exquisite. It has a...” Read full tasting note
    Jan1 1 tasting notes
  • “This is the first tea with bergamont oil that I've had in years. I did not like Earl Grey at all the first time I tried it, and I've been avoiding it for years. But this, this tea is divine! I...” Read full tasting note
    arichard 67 tasting notes
  • “I bought this on a whim as I didn't have any particularly lavender teas. It's become a household favorite. I like it on occasion. It's more floral than a jasmine tea would be, and for some it can...” Read full tasting note
    CaseyThomas 11 tasting notes

From Stash Tea Company

Wonderfully aromatic lavender is the perfect complement to the citrusy bergamont oil and full-bodied black tea.

About Stash Tea Company View company

I’m a gaming geek. Every Friday night, I’m seated at a table along with my motley bunch of nerds rolling dice, playing an axe wielding barbarian, a creepy necromancer, or an exuberant bard. Dungeons and Dragons, (well, they call it Pathfinder now) is a fun but sedentary game with the unfortunate side effect of the gaming table attracting all sorts of junk food. So besides doing battle with imaginary monsters, each week I find myself at war with my own lack of willpower.

Fortunately, there are other tea enthusiasts among my gaming companions. Upon learning this, I purchased a new tea cup, loaded a small tin with my best assortment, and tucked them into my gaming bag alongside my notebooks, gaming guides, and accumulated dice.

I have declared 9pm on game nights as “Tea time.” A nice hot cup of tea is a fine thing. Once I have that before me, all those chips and cheese doodles seem ridiculously unrefined by comparison. They seem beneath my sophisticated palate and I don‘t want them so much anymore. It’s a welcome respite and distraction.

This week, I tried a new flavor—Breakfast in Paris by Stash. I had been craving Savoy’s Paris Morning, the tea I waxed poetic about last winter and while I had a delightful experience with Parisian Breakfast Black from The London Tea Room, it was different enough from my old favorite to leave me reminiscing. So when I saw that Stash had a version of the same concept, I grabbed it. After all, I consider Stash to be pretty good at their art. Many of their blends have a permanent place in my cupboard, so I was eager to try their take on Paris.

This blend clearly represents morning in a different part of Paris than I am used to. Savoy’s version depicts Paris right next to the vanilla bean vender’s market stall. It would appear Stash represents Paris downwind of the lavender and bergamot fields or else in the professional laundry district.

I like lavender. I like it a lot. I’ve been known to make lavender bread, lavender lemonade, lavender apple crisp, lavender fruit salad, and lavender-vanilla coffee drinks. But I’m also aware that too much of the stuff can make your food and drink taste like laundry detergent. This tea is definitely too much of a good thing.

Maybe it’s an unbalanced batch. I can’t detect any vanilla at all and the levels of lavender and bergamot are intense enough to be harsh and slightly irritating to my mouth. There’s nothing particularly attractive about the underlying tea either. To add insult to injury, the strings are not firmly attached to the tea bags and come off when I’m attempting to use them. I’m not enchanted at all by this. Hell, I could make a better version of it myself, and I’m no master blender by any stretch of the imagination.

It smells nice though. Maybe I’ll try a very dilute cold brew and dump in some vanilla extract. Or if that doesn’t work, use it to make a nice lavender scented rinse for my hair.

gmathis

Chips, cheese doodles, and Breakfast in Paris—-love the combo!
(A Savoy visit is on the calendar soon…wonder if I should email them to stock up on Paris Morning :)

I’m a fan of strong black teas, and citrus-y Early Gray, but not so much for teas with floral notes. However, this tea with it’s bergamont oil, vanilla and lavender is just exquisite. It has a lovely round, smooth feel and the lavender is a secondary note that’s delightful and slightly lingering but not over powering. I like it brewed for a full 5 min. and add a splash of milk.

MsWhatsit

Yours must have been from a better batch than mine. Glad to hear you had a more positive experience.

This is the first tea with bergamont oil that I’ve had in years. I did not like Earl Grey at all the first time I tried it, and I’ve been avoiding it for years. But this, this tea is divine! I bought it for one of my students and decided to have a cup with her. I loved the balance of lavender, vanilla, and citrus. It has no bitter aftertaste, but that might be due to the honey I added. I also only steeped it for about 3 1/2 minutes. The only downside – I don’t normally drink strong black teas and I got a bit jittery since I was also enjoying my normal morning milk oolong tea in my Timolino. Definitely a tea to put on my re-order list!

I bought this on a whim as I didn’t have any particularly lavender teas. It’s become a household favorite. I like it on occasion. It’s more floral than a jasmine tea would be, and for some it can be overpowering. I was oblivious to the vanilla notes until reading the reviews here. I don’t like citrus bergamot, but lavender bergamot is pretty good!

Flavors: Bergamot, Lavender, Vanilla

Usually I don’t add milk to a tea unless it’s a very strong or astringent black tea, or I’ve given up on it otherwise. And I really wanted to enjoy this tea for what it is, but something just wasn’t doing it for me. Most likely I’m used to loose leaf and large infuser sachets, and the leaf bits in a smaller bag just don’t have the same profile. I still have quite a bit, and there seems to be a lot of high praise for it, not to mention it is one of the few I have that do the job of waking me up in the morning. So, I finally decided to make this breakfast tea breakfast style, with almond milk and sugar, and it really is much better. The softer flavors of lavender and bergamot are eased out much more gently, and the whole thing is silky smooth. Here’s to a productive morning!

Sipdown! Oh, I love this tea so very, very much.

The drunk idiots next door woke me and my housemates up at 4:00 am with their bass-blaring. Our walls were shaking, for God’s sake. One of my housemates had to be up two hours later to get to work.

I’m all for partying it up one last time before graduation, but the people who don’t want to still have the right to peace and quiet in the wee hours of the morning! I called campus security on them, and they got them to knock it off.

Needless to say, I was unable to fall asleep after that little incident. So here I sit, with my second steaming Mason jarful of this, and sadly, it’s the last of the box. I find the combination of lavender, vanilla, and bergamot very comforting and delicate, and at the same time revitalizing. It’s the perfect tea for a morning like this.

I will most certainly be restocking this the next time I’m at the grocery store!

Oh, this is pleasant! Lavender’s got some good marketing behind it, man; I always feel more relaxed any time I smell or taste it. I find the vanilla note perceptible here, as well, which is, I think, what saves this tea from being too floral for my tastes. I wish it were caffeine-free, as this would be a wonderful tea at bedtime, but alas. On the upside, I think this will make a unique and refreshing iced tea, and I can’t wait to try it out that way!