Decaf Earl Grey

Edit tea info Last updated by Alaina

• “What a day. Today was my first day in Vancouver, and I started it off with breakfast by the quay with a cup of this. They really didn't have much else to choose from, and when I picked it from the...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 848 tasting notes
  • “1 bag for 250mL water, bare. It's a bagged tea. And a decaf bagged tea. So it has limits. I have found this one at once harsh and dull, and a bit thin in body. But, the other night, quite by...” Read full tasting note
    MButlerHallett 519 tasting notes
  • “ehh, not so good. I had regular stash earl grey yesterday but ran out. The decaf version really can't compare. The difference in flavor is obvious and I think I'll only resort to this when I...” Read full tasting note
    coral23 93 tasting notes
  • “Now that I've drunk enough earl greys to have something to compare this tea to, I realize just how weak and watery it really is. I heard somewhere that the de-caffination process can leach the...” Read full tasting note
    JillDragon 1621 tasting notes

From Stash Tea Company

We’ve created a decaffeinated version of our popular Earl Grey that has all the rich flavor with less than 6 mg of caffeine per cup (compared with 40 mg for our regular Earl Grey and 80mg in a cup of coffee). Stash Decaffeinated Earl Grey is made with naturally decaffeinated black teas using a completely natural European process which removes 99.5% of the caffeine leaving the tea leaves with all the flavor, color and aroma you expect from Stash premium black teas. Stash Decaffeinated Earl Grey is a versatile tea, at its best in the afternoon or after dinner. It brews a beautiful amber cup with a distinctive flavor and lightly fragrant aroma. Delicious plain, this tea may also be served with sugar and milk. Plus it makes a wonderful, refreshing iced tea.

About Stash Tea Company View company

What a day. Today was my first day in Vancouver, and I started it off with breakfast by the quay with a cup of this. They really didn’t have much else to choose from, and when I picked it from the basket, I didn’t notice that it was decaf.

What can I say, it was underwhelming and ultra bland. The bergamot in this was a sad attempt. Not even distinctly bergamot, but rather a dull, vague citrus. I had to resort to adding milk and sugar to make this more interesting, and even then, it tasted watery. I let it steep for around four minutes too.

But that’s ok. To all the Canadians out there, I ran into Rex Murphy today so that was cool. I felt bad talking to him but at least I made him laugh. Unlike this tea, the experience definitely wasn’t decaffeinated or banal.

Lynne-tea

That is AWESOME!

Fjellrev

It was so random! I had no idea he lived in Vancouver.

1 bag for 250mL water, bare.

It’s a bagged tea. And a decaf bagged tea. So it has limits. I have found this one at once harsh and dull, and a bit thin in body.

But, the other night, quite by accident, I made it with water just off the boil, at much the same temp I’d make green tea with. I didn’t get to the kettle in time, and then got distracted, hence the cooler water. Guess what? It greatly improved this tea. Steeped in slightly cooler water, it comes out sweet rather than bitter, gentler, and almost creamy, with a touch of Keemunish smoke in the aftertaste. The bergamot balances quite nicely without smelling like either perfume or furniture polish. I really enjoyed it.

Michelle Butler Hallett

Thoroughly enjoyed this cuppa before bed last night. Must re-try Stash’s decaf English Breakfast with cooler water, too. That one can be bitter.

Michelle Butler Hallett

Just swigged a bit left in my travel mug from last night. This tea is very nice cold.

ehh, not so good. I had regular stash earl grey yesterday but ran out. The decaf version really can’t compare. The difference in flavor is obvious and I think I’ll only resort to this when I absolutely have to.

rabbysmom

I love the regular Stash Earl Grey too- wonder why the taste difference when it’s just decaf?

Now that I’ve drunk enough earl greys to have something to compare this tea to, I realize just how weak and watery it really is. I heard somewhere that the de-caffination process can leach the flavour from the tea aswell as the antioxidants. Does anyone know if this is true?

Anyway, so in summary this is a pretty pathetic specimen of an earl grey tea. Boo, hiss.

takgoti

Dag. Carolyn [I think it was Carolyn] linked me a good article about decaffeinating teas once, but I have no idea where it is. CAROLYN HALP!

I wish I could find a strong DECAF earl grey (any suggestions anyone? I seem to even have a hard time at loose tea stores here) so in the meantime I drink this version. Its not bad, not my favourite. Occasionally has a bit of a soapy quality.

I added a little bit of silk soy milk today and it doesn’t seem to bad. At least it was enough to get me out of bed.

Uniquity

Tetley has a decaf Earl Grey (I noticed you have a couple Tetley teas in there). I can’t speak to it’s taste though..

I’m such a black-tea addict that I like to have a good cuppa before bed, but for obvious reasons the caffeinated versions are no good.

For years I just gave up on finding a good, strong and tasty decaf and simply didn’t have any tea late at night.

Then I found the Stash decaf Earl Grey. Obviously you’re going to loose flavour with 1. Decaffeinated tea and 2. Bagged tea. So you really have to keep that in mind when drinking a tea like this. You can’t expect diamonds from quartz, you know?

With that in mind, brew this with a full rolling boil and let it steep for a good 4 minutes and you’re good. I like mine with a splash of skim milk and about 1/4 teaspoon of white sugar for a good comfort drink. Perfect after a long hard day when I still need to sleep at night!

This was an okay Earl Grey, but I didn’t find it anything special. As a sample it worked out well for the morning/afternoon I was drinking it at work, but I don’t think I’d go out of my way to have it on hand in my house.

I like the bergamot flavor in this one, decaf isn’t the best for a morning wake me up tea, but I can’t have too much caffeine. this one is one of my favorite go to comfort teas.