Decaf Chocolate Hazelnut

Decaffeinated
Edit tea info Last updated by Catherine

2 Images

From Stash Tea Company

Our Chocolate Hazelnut is a deliciously smooth and rich dessert tea. Chocolate, hazelnuts, vanilla, and premium black tea combine to create a fascinating blend of flavors. Sugar and a splash of milk bring out the taste of the chocolate and hazelnuts. The black teas are naturally decaffeinated, so you can savor this tea any time of day.

Ingredients: Decaf black tea, natural flavor of chocolate, natural flavor of vanilla nut, natural flavor of hazelnut. Contains peanuts and hazelnuts.

About Stash Tea Company View company

I like this tea. It does smell a bit fake in bagged form, but I didn’t taste that in the cup. The hazelnut flavor was mellow, and the chocolatey flavor was a bit weak, but a teaspoon of sugar helped this tea immensely. Usually I use honey, but I thought it might be a bit odd in this tea. I can’t drink caffeinated tea in the evening, so this was a nice change from my usual herbal tea routine.

shesteeps

Tried this again at about 3 am with some cream and sugar. Yuck!

Chocolate Hazelnut… fabulous flavor combination. Who doesn’t love some Nutella? But this isn’t nutella… it’s decaf black tea. Hmmm. A lot of chocolate teas suffer from a weak flavor or an identity crisis.

The good news is that tea does not skimp on the flavor. The sweet hazelnut-vanilla-chocolate flavors impart a surprisingly creamy impression to the underlying black tea all by themselves, but this cup just begs for a splash of some milk or alternative creamer. The initial impression is intriguing, but then the lingering flavor feels more than a little artificial, like I liberally poured some flavored coffee creamer into my cup of black tea. I can imagine people who love flavored coffees lapping this one up with enthusiasm, but to me this just tastes a bit… trashy. Like the tea equivalent of junk food.

I only drink black tea when it’s decaffeinated, and because some decaf teas have funny flavors, I’m often disappointed. This tea did not disappoint me, however! There is a slightly odd artificial scent to the bagged tea, but it tastes fine when you drink it. I drink it with sugar and almond milk for a rich, sweet confection that’s reminiscent in some ways of a hazelnut coffee drink.

Sure Stash teas seem to come out really weak (wouldn’t think it’d be a problem when I’ve got an electric kettle and the water is bubblin’), but even still this one is yum-tacular!
Choco-hazelnut + milk + 1xsugar => nirvana.
If I thought the teabag was capable of it, I’d like to be like Garfield and get into a big warm cup of this :)

8 min or more

It’s not awful, but it’s not the best either. I think it’s difficult to have a good chocolate tea on its own, and this one definitely benefits with milk or cream. Chocolate and hazelnut is a good combination, but I don’t know how well it works with tea.

I tried the bagged version of this. It’s a pleasant chocolate tea, but I couldn’t taste the hazelnut at all, which disappointed me. It is decaf, which is a big plus for me, since I’m extremely sensitive to caffeine, but it didn’t taste as good as Stash’s Black Forest Cake – it was a bit bitter, and didn’t have as complex a flavor. I’ll probably buy this again though, unless I find a decaf chocolate tea I like better.

Flavors: Chocolate

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

So the office water comes out to about 165. Not great for black teas, but I think I’ll bring in cheaper teas, and flavored black teas. And of course, there are teas that like that temperature.

I tried steeping this one a little longer to make up for the water temperature. I’m not sure if it was that which caused this tea to not go so well, or this just isn’t a great tea. It left a bitter, tart, almost metallic taste in my mouth. I won’t rate this, or any tea I try at the office, bad just in case its the waters fault and not the tea.

Flavors: Metallic

I used two bags this time and i was able to get a pretty good chocolate flavor. I’d say this tea is pretty enjoyable, actually.

Stephanie F.

p.s. i think my cup tends to be a lot more than 6 or 8 oz., probably closer to 12 or 16, so that’s probably why i need two bags.

Quality control lacks on this tea, some boxes have been full of wonderful chocolate flavor, some fall flat.
I called Stash tea direct (1800-800-8327) to report this and was told I could send in 2 of my tea bags for them to test (at my expense) and they in return would send me a coupon for a new box of tea.
I can take the box to the store I got it from and save myself the hassle, the rep at Stash did not seem to get that and only after I offered the batch number did she hesitantly take it down, so I seriously doubt they care about the taste.
It is hard to rate ,some boxes are great,and this one was blah.