Decaf Vanilla Nut Creme

Hazelnut, Nutty, Root Beer, Sarsaparilla, Sweet, Vanilla, Almond, Artificial, Bitter
Edit tea info Last updated by Alaina

From Stash Tea Company

A deliciously smooth, full-bodied black tea with a rich vanilla nut aroma and flavor. Add milk and sugar for a sweet, creamy dessert-like drink. Decaffeinated.

About Stash Tea Company View company

Rewatching the Sherlock Season 3 Ep. 1 with Tre, and needed some tea to drink with the episode. My teeth are killing me right now, and I’m not sure if that’s related to my just generalized feeling of sickness or whether they’re actually sore. Anyway, supposedly a hot teagbag on a sore tooth is a good home remedy so I made bagged tea to watch with the episode.

I also figured I might as well make it a sipdown, and try something new! So, this is from VariaTEA who sent me a couple Stash teabags a while back after noticing that Stash is my favourite bagged tea company (so thoughtful). Since she sent one each, that makes this my first time drinking it and also a sipdown! This one is sold at my local grocery stores though, so if I do really like it then it will be attainable.

So, boiling water in a 10 oz. mug with one teabag, steeped for three minutes. Dry, the bag smelled sweet and nutty and loosely reminded me of mulberries. Steeped it smells much the same, very sweet and creamy with nut notes. After steeping, I actually held the hot teabag to my teeth for a few minute prior to taking a sip – and it did briefly work to ease the pain. But, it certainly wasn’t a “lasting” cure. It only numbed things for like five minutes – so back to the drawing board for home remedies for toothaches…

Taste wise – pretty good. Very smooth, with lots of rich vanilla flavour and a kind of “medium” presence of the nuts. The black tea is there – but it’s relatively well masked by the all the other sweet flavours. No mulberries in the actual taste – but I didn’t expect there to be any, so all is good. It’s very sweet, though and not painfully unique as far as the flavour combination goes. So, I did very much enjoy the cup (despite the tooth pain), but I don’t think I’ll be seeking it out to restock.

Why are black teas tasting fishy to me lately?
Okay look I do not have high expectations for any bagged tea anymore now that I have learned how wonderful loose leaf is.
This tea smells good.
I actually still enjoy one cup of quality coffee each morning.
This tea does taste a bit like a latte and I am okay with that – a really weak latte though. Its colored like watered down coffee too. But then again I drink turkish coffee often so watered down looking to me is normal to most folk.
Still what is with this slightly fishy flavor? This is not the only black tea recently I have tasted this way.
I wish I could find a couple of good decafs for my stash because I really don’t need the caffeine late at night but I don’t feel this is one of them.
I mean its “okay” … but weak – I really am not getting a lot of the flavors coming through – I am sure this is another one of those “its better after it has cooled down some” teas.
So I shall wait.
(time lapse)
Well I waited …still not better.
Sorry this does not get the thumbs up from me.

Edit note: After much time – and another go at the Harney and Son’s Vanilla Comoro – I have noticed that both the black teas I accused of tasting “fishy” are both vanilla flavors and both decaf … hummm – so tomorrow going to try some NON decaf vanilla and then if I can fit it in will have some decaf (if I can find any) of a non vanilla flavor. I am thinking it may be either the flavor or the decaf.

Thanks to Josie Jade for sending me a few bags of this tea to try out! The dry tea bag smells like vanilla and reminds me of coffee (full disclosure, I’m not a coffee drinker, so you may disagree). After brewing, I can definitely smell more of the nuttiness coming through. It also is very dark like coffee (again, not a coffee drinker, bear with me). The tea tastes like vanilla at first and finishes with a nutty aftertaste. The black tea base seems weak but I’m not sure if that’s because it’s decaf. I think it would taste great with some milk added, but as I am still unpacking, I don’t want to swim through my stuff to go get some. I’m super sensitive to caffeine, so I’ve been on the hunt (sorta) for some good decafs and herbals. Next time I will try this with milk to determine whether to add this more permanently to my stash (haha, Stash, get it?).

It smelled so good. Tastes amazing – definitely an after dinner tea. Added milk and Splenda and am really enjoying it.

It’s kind of like a cappuccino!

Tied with Stash’s Holiday Chai as my favorite supermarket bagged tea of choice for a quick dessert treat (bonus, little/no caffeine!). I always add milk and a tiny pinch of raw sugar.

Tastes like aspartame-soaked sticks. No tea flavor detectable by me, just a lot of cheap vanilla-y perfume.

With cream it’s almost like drinking coffee. The hazelnut flavor really comes out, more so than the vanilla. Don’t go by smell because the smell of it in the packaging isn’t that appealing, but once it gets brewing it smells wonderful. It’s just a bit too much like coffee to be something I’ll drink all the time, but the fact that it’s decaf is nice.

The taste is terrible – vaguely like a Baileys-esque liquor actually, but in an awful way. This tea had a weird slick texture that did not sit well with me, which I guess was the “creme” part. Couldn’t even finish one cup and threw the rest of the bags out.

Score one for bagged teas! This is quite lovely. The brew smells nutty, malty… almost chocolate-y. It tastes like cashews, chicory, and malt, with just a hint of vanilla at the end of the sip. Adding rice milk brings out a roasted nut flavor and strengthens the vanilla flavor at the end of the sip.

This has sarsaparilla in it. I didn’t know what that was so I had to look it up. After reading that it’s used in old-fashioned root beer, I suddenly began tasting root beer in this tea. It now seems super obvious and dominant right down to that tingly root beer after-taste. I’m super skeptical of the timing here though. It’s impossible to tell how much my sense of taste is being influenced by knowing what the ingredient is. It might just be that knowing the ingredient gave me the ability to more precisely name what I was already tasting. Or the taste might have built, or changed, as I got further into the cup and the brew cooled. I love how there are so many factors that go into this one sense, and any one of them can lead the tastebuds in a different direction. Usually I have this experience more with straight unflavored teas but it’s interesting in a flavored tea too.

Thanks to EmilyGee for the sample!

Cavocorax

Oooh! I love sarsaparilla!

Dexter

OOOOh me too – aren’t many teas with it – might need to look this one up :)

i might have these at my work stash. If i do i’ll send you some dex/cavo