Decaf Vanilla Nut Creme

Hazelnut, Nutty, Root Beer, Sarsaparilla, Sweet, Vanilla, Almond, Artificial, Bitter
Edit tea info Last updated by Alaina

From Stash Tea Company

A deliciously smooth, full-bodied black tea with a rich vanilla nut aroma and flavor. Add milk and sugar for a sweet, creamy dessert-like drink. Decaffeinated.

About Stash Tea Company View company

Smelled medicinal when I opened the bag, but actually, not bad at all. Granted everything’s a trifle on the weak side, but at least it doesn’t have the acidic mulch taste of most decafs. I do get the vanilla, the nut, and the creme, plus there’s some sarsaparilla in here that really makes it all more interesting.

The first waft of Vanilla Nut Creme confused me. It’s pleasant… but I was prepared for vanilla to be the prevailing aroma. Instead, it’s the sarsaparilla, an herb used in soft drinks such as root beer and (what else?) sarsaparilla. The tea itself has a strong, sweet fragrance reminiscent of those beverages. There’s a whiff of hazelnut in there, too – and no vanilla scent to speak of. Hmmmm. I’ll reserve judgment until after the first few sips.

And I’m glad I did. The flavors comprising Vanilla Nut Creme balance out nicely in this dark brown brew. Hazelnut and sarsaparilla overtones make a sweet, earthy cup that’s followed by a warm, lingering, subtly vanilla finish. And when steeped for the shorter end of the recommended time (3 to 4 minutes), I don’t get that sharp taste of tannins that often occurs in black tea.

There are also hints of nostalgia and playfulness in Vanilla Nut Creme. By “playful,” I don’t mean a zing of caffeine. Rather, this tea reminds me of being a kid, lazing by the pool and having an ice cream sundae or a root beer float. (Remember what I said about the sarsaparilla?) This tea really is a lot like drinking root beer, but with a more nutty taste. In fact, I wonder how this tea would taste if chilled and used in a root beer float.

I wouldn’t call Vanilla Nut Creme an “after-dinner treat,” however. Au naturel, the tea is tasty but lacks the indulgent creaminess that pairs so well with nighttime or dessert. Adding sugar and a splash of milk does help with this, though; and the fact that Vanilla Nut Creme is decaffeinated makes it an attractive option for anyone who’s sensitive to a late-day jolt of energy. But with the sarsaparilla’s dominance and the absence of vanilla, the only seasonal evening ambiance this tea fits would be summer.

Read my full review here: http://bibliophilesreverie.com/2014/07/25/tea-time-at-reverie-stash-tea-companys-vanilla-nut-creme-decaf-black-tea/

Flavors: Hazelnut, Nutty, Root Beer, Sarsaparilla, Sweet, Vanilla

This is definitely not my cup of tea. It has an unpleasantly artificial vanilla almond flavor, and is somewhat bitter. It’s disappointing since it sounded so good.

Flavors: Almond, Artificial, Bitter, Vanilla

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

A sample from VariaTEA. I surprised myself with this one, because I’m not usually a decaf kind of girl. If I want caffiene free tea in the evening, I usually got for a herbal. Last night I really, really wanted black tea, but I knew it was a bad idea. Then I remembered this one!

The smell of the dry leaf is A-MA-ZING. It reminds me of Starbuck’s Vanilla Nut Latte! It’s scented strongly of vanilla, with a nutty background note. I gave it about three minutes in boiling water. It brewed up pretty dark, so I added a good slug of milk.

It tastes almost as wonderful as it smells. Not quite, because probably very few things actually do, particularly when it comes to flavoured black tea. It’s better than I thought it was going to be, though. There’s a nice, creamy vanilla flavour, not too overpoweringly sweet, and a toasty nuttiness…hazelnut, I think. It’s a really delicious and well balanced combination, and it stands up well against the black base. I can taste “tea” quite strongly, but as it mostly confines itself to the aftertaste, it doesn’t interfere too much with the initial flavour of the sip, which is all vanilla-nut loveliness. A really nice evening treat — just the thing! Many thanks to VariaTea for sharing this one with me :)

Love it! The flavor is really good I can definitely taste the vanilla and the nuttiness. First tea bought from Stash and it won’t be the last. :)

Flavors: Vanilla

meeeh definitely not exactly what i was expecting, will probably finish this cup but unsure of how i would feel about brewing another cup.
added some milk and agave nectar

While this would be an awesome coffee flavour, I find it odd as a tea. But it is keeping my hands warm.

I’m mostly let down by this tea because it’s not anything like it’s described. The nuttyness is there but not the creaminess. I’ll finish the box but I won’t be purchasing it again.

Read my full review here – http://www.notimeliketeatime.com/stash-tea-vanilla-nut-creme/

Love this tea. Smells and taste exquisite!