Edit tea info Last updated by fleurdelily

From Stash Tea Company

A Stash Tea best seller and long-time customer favorite! Earl Grey is black tea scented with bergamot, an oil extracted from a pear-shaped Mediterranean citrus about the size of an orange. Earl Grey brews up a beautiful amber cup with a distinctive flavor and lightly fragrant aroma.
Earl Grey is a versatile tea, at its best in the afternoon or after dinner. Delicious and flavorful plain, it may also be served with sugar and milk. Plus, it makes a wonderful, refreshing iced tea.
The tea leaves in Earl Grey are usually a blend of Chinese black or Indian Darjeeling teas. Stash uses superior grades of Ceylon black tea from Sri Lanka and black teas from China for our Earl Grey. We strive for a distinctive tea flavor that is not overwhelmed by the pungent citrus, and we use only 100% pure bergamot oil, not a mixture.
Story has it that in 1830 Englishman Charles Earl Grey (the second Earl Grey, 1764-1845) was on a diplomatic mission to China, when a mandarin presented him with the recipe for making this distinctive tea. Now it is the most famous scented tea in the Western world.

About Stash Tea Company View company

Personally, I find this tea tolerable only if I prepare differently than I prepare my standard cup of Earl Grey. I usually add a capful of Lemon Juice (or one wedge), with two tea bags in a standard mug.

I add the Lemon to bring out the Bergamot, however with Stash this is for some reason unnecessary. I am not very fond of it, but it will do in a pinch. It’s flavor is sub-par in my opinion, but its definitely not terrible.

(NOTE- I like my tea very bitter. I never take black tea with cream.)

Boiling 8 min or more

Somewhat bland. But that is probably my fault. Either that or the hotel had it for awhile. I will have to come back and update this when I have a newer tea bag of this tea type.

I really like this tea, actually. It’s very flavorful. Maybe it’s not how perfect Earl Grey is supposed to taste, but I still really like it.

I was really surprised by how unpleasant this tea was. Stash is usually a pretty safe brand, but their Earl Grey tastes like a cheap version of a Chocolate Orange. It has a really soapy, bad chocolate flavour. I couldn’t finish my cup, even though it was the only thing keeping me warm! Very disappointing.

It may be that the cafe had a bad/old batch, but I found the tea had a faint sickly-sweet/rancid aftertaste that reminded me of fetid garbage. Underneath that it tasted like cheap weak stale tea.

A pleasant alternative to a loose earl grey! few bagged teas get it right, but I think they did. Not as strong as I would like, but I feel that’s a bit picky for the overall quality of it.

This is my favorite tea. The right amount of bergamot, with quality leaves.

For a mass produced bagged tea it is actually really good

I brewed a small pot of this and tried it two ways — first clear, then with milk and honey. I found I slightly prefered the flavour clear, though as always the feel with milk and honey was better.

The flavour is stronger than other Earl Grey teas that I’ve had, which I appreciate.

Boiling 8 min or more

Of the several Earl Grey teas that I have sampled so far, the Stash Earl Grey has the most prominent Bergamot flavor. It has a bright taste that I enjoy as my second cup of the morning, after my first cup of a stronger and more awakening breakfast tea. Although the Bergamot presence will not be denied in this tea, it is not strong enough to mask the very pleasant tea flavor beneath it. Believe it or not, Stash also offers a DOUBLE Bergamot tea formula! I am curious to try it to see if you have to be a Bergamot addict to enjoy it.