Bergamot, Lemon, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by fleurdelily

From Stash Tea Company

A Stash Tea best seller and long-time customer favorite! Earl Grey is black tea scented with bergamot, an oil extracted from a pear-shaped Mediterranean citrus about the size of an orange. Earl Grey brews up a beautiful amber cup with a distinctive flavor and lightly fragrant aroma.
Earl Grey is a versatile tea, at its best in the afternoon or after dinner. Delicious and flavorful plain, it may also be served with sugar and milk. Plus, it makes a wonderful, refreshing iced tea.
The tea leaves in Earl Grey are usually a blend of Chinese black or Indian Darjeeling teas. Stash uses superior grades of Ceylon black tea from Sri Lanka and black teas from China for our Earl Grey. We strive for a distinctive tea flavor that is not overwhelmed by the pungent citrus, and we use only 100% pure bergamot oil, not a mixture.
Story has it that in 1830 Englishman Charles Earl Grey (the second Earl Grey, 1764-1845) was on a diplomatic mission to China, when a mandarin presented him with the recipe for making this distinctive tea. Now it is the most famous scented tea in the Western world.

About Stash Tea Company View company

I got a box of this tea in my stocking at Christmas, and have been happily enjoying it since. It’s brighter and almost more citrus-y than the Twinings Earl Grey I’m used to drinking. Rather lovely :-)

This is one of my least favorite teas from Stash. I’m usually a big fan of theirs, maybe slightly due to being from Portland… but this one simply tastes “off” to me every time and doesn’t have enough bergamot in it.

I drank this and wish I hadn’t! Stash, despite hailing from Portland OR, somehow falls short in quality and flavour. It’s hard to go wrong with black tea, but they really do.

Personally, I find this tea tolerable only if I prepare differently than I prepare my standard cup of Earl Grey. I usually add a capful of Lemon Juice (or one wedge), with two tea bags in a standard mug.

I add the Lemon to bring out the Bergamot, however with Stash this is for some reason unnecessary. I am not very fond of it, but it will do in a pinch. It’s flavor is sub-par in my opinion, but its definitely not terrible.

(NOTE- I like my tea very bitter. I never take black tea with cream.)

Boiling 8 min or more

Somewhat bland. But that is probably my fault. Either that or the hotel had it for awhile. I will have to come back and update this when I have a newer tea bag of this tea type.

I really like this tea, actually. It’s very flavorful. Maybe it’s not how perfect Earl Grey is supposed to taste, but I still really like it.

I was really surprised by how unpleasant this tea was. Stash is usually a pretty safe brand, but their Earl Grey tastes like a cheap version of a Chocolate Orange. It has a really soapy, bad chocolate flavour. I couldn’t finish my cup, even though it was the only thing keeping me warm! Very disappointing.

It may be that the cafe had a bad/old batch, but I found the tea had a faint sickly-sweet/rancid aftertaste that reminded me of fetid garbage. Underneath that it tasted like cheap weak stale tea.

A pleasant alternative to a loose earl grey! few bagged teas get it right, but I think they did. Not as strong as I would like, but I feel that’s a bit picky for the overall quality of it.