Bergamot, Earl Grey, Earth, Tannin, Smooth, Lemon, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by fleurdelily

From Stash Tea Company

A Stash Tea best seller and long-time customer favorite! Earl Grey is black tea scented with bergamot, an oil extracted from a pear-shaped Mediterranean citrus about the size of an orange. Earl Grey brews up a beautiful amber cup with a distinctive flavor and lightly fragrant aroma.
Earl Grey is a versatile tea, at its best in the afternoon or after dinner. Delicious and flavorful plain, it may also be served with sugar and milk. Plus, it makes a wonderful, refreshing iced tea.
The tea leaves in Earl Grey are usually a blend of Chinese black or Indian Darjeeling teas. Stash uses superior grades of Ceylon black tea from Sri Lanka and black teas from China for our Earl Grey. We strive for a distinctive tea flavor that is not overwhelmed by the pungent citrus, and we use only 100% pure bergamot oil, not a mixture.
Story has it that in 1830 Englishman Charles Earl Grey (the second Earl Grey, 1764-1845) was on a diplomatic mission to China, when a mandarin presented him with the recipe for making this distinctive tea. Now it is the most famous scented tea in the Western world.

About Stash Tea Company View company

After a month at my new job, I finally realized that I wasn’t going to buy a gaiwan for work, and my morning cuppa Yorkshire Gold just wasn’t going to cut it as my only tea until 5, so I bought a box of this, based on the facts that the Earl Grey Addict liked it, it was cheap, and it would probably be good without milk or sugar (we have creamer at work, but I don’t want to buy milk that will just sit in the work fridge). I use microwaved water, which isn’t the best choice, but it’s what we have (unless I can convince the other content writers to chip in for an electric kettle).

Anyway, this is pretty good. Nothing astounding, but a decent Earl Grey. The citrus smell of the dry bag is very strong, but it’s much more balanced in the cup. I probably won’t be buying another box when this one runs out, but that’s only because of the wonderful experience I had recently with Twinings Darjeeling.

Well, I have a LOT of experience with this Earl Grey, Its the tea that I had every morning at my college cafe (where the guy who works there would say in a strong unknown accent “My freind, you want da Earle Grey Tee!?”), powering me through horribly long days of studying and dealing with incompetent professors.

For starters you can taste the Oil of Bergamot in this tea – the whole point of Earl Grey.
The flavor is smooth and perfectly complemented with a little bit of sugar. Brew it for a LONG time and it will be strong. Even the non-tea people I know liked this tea!

While I had a good year with this tea, it seems that recent batches have gone downhill in quality with an off-chemical taste. I have no idea why this is but the bags at the Cafe, as well as the most recent box I bought at a local grocery store taste wrong in comparison to the previous hundreds of cups I have had. So, I must forewarn you, try this tea at your own risk – perhaps its back to the way it was a few months ago (and if it is, its worth a try. But due to this, I cant recommend it)

Boiling 8 min or more

This tea did not have enough bergamot flavoring for my picky palate.

0 OZ / 0 ML

I got a box of this tea in my stocking at Christmas, and have been happily enjoying it since. It’s brighter and almost more citrus-y than the Twinings Earl Grey I’m used to drinking. Rather lovely :-)

This is one of my least favorite teas from Stash. I’m usually a big fan of theirs, maybe slightly due to being from Portland… but this one simply tastes “off” to me every time and doesn’t have enough bergamot in it.

I drank this and wish I hadn’t! Stash, despite hailing from Portland OR, somehow falls short in quality and flavour. It’s hard to go wrong with black tea, but they really do.

Personally, I find this tea tolerable only if I prepare differently than I prepare my standard cup of Earl Grey. I usually add a capful of Lemon Juice (or one wedge), with two tea bags in a standard mug.

I add the Lemon to bring out the Bergamot, however with Stash this is for some reason unnecessary. I am not very fond of it, but it will do in a pinch. It’s flavor is sub-par in my opinion, but its definitely not terrible.

(NOTE- I like my tea very bitter. I never take black tea with cream.)

Boiling 8 min or more

Somewhat bland. But that is probably my fault. Either that or the hotel had it for awhile. I will have to come back and update this when I have a newer tea bag of this tea type.

I really like this tea, actually. It’s very flavorful. Maybe it’s not how perfect Earl Grey is supposed to taste, but I still really like it.