Black Chai Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Alaina

From Stash Tea Company

Spicy, aromatic blend of black teas, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, clove and cardamom.

About Stash Tea Company View company

Drank this with milk this morning.

calebcherry

do you mean you just creamed the tea with milk or you warmed milk with the teabag?

Jillian

No, I just added some skim milk after it was done steeping. I’d like to do a traditional-style chai one of these days but I either lack the time or am too lazy. ;)

setownsend

Great way to have it, with milk. Good choice.

Jillian

Thanks. :) Most chais are too harsh for me to drink plain, although I try to be careful not to drown the flavour either when I add stuff.

New years day! My mom made quiche this morning and I made this chai. Breakfast in the kitchen nook. A quiet, overcast day and snow on the ground. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I’m really warming up to this chai. I gave it a long steep and added a tablespoon of raw sugar and probably a tablespoon and a half of heavy cream. It’s sweet, silky, and the spices come through near the end of a sip. The tea flavor isn’t quite as strong as I’d like – a little watery I suppose – but, I think if I used two tea bags next time it would be perfect. Nevertheless! Chai Spice gets a bit of a ratings bump.

Happy new years, everyone! I hope it’s a good morning for you, too.

Cofftea

Quiche and chai… hmmm… never thought of pairing those.

Micah

Any strong black tea would probably be great with quiche since the tea would cut through the heaviness of the eggs and cheese nicely. But this was also good! Savory and sweet.

Micah

Although… I suppose if you don’t like a “thick” feeling in your mouth you might want to drink your tea without any dairy added if you’re eating quiche.

Cofftea

thinks to self… Matcha quiche/omlette?

takgoti

That sounds like a beautiful way to kick off a decade.

Definitely one of those american version of indian chai(which itself mean “tea”). It seem pretty simple one to me, might be cause I am used to a lot of spices and was kind of expecting it. While a real chai must have milk(not cream) and sugar(not honey), this is one which you can take as it is. Just make sure that you do not over brew it. My real complaint with the tea is that its predominantly Cinnamon-ised. While in real chai the two main spices are Ginger & Cardamom(which seem to have been lost in cauldrom of spices this tea have). In reality you just need some Ginger & Dried Cardamom as spices to make a great cup of chai.

Below is how to make your own good chai at home(skip it you do not care for it) :)
Water – one cup
Milk(whole) – 3/4 cup (depends on taste, so be careful)
Sugar – 2 teaspoon (agan depends on taste)
Ginger – 1/2 inch (mash it up)
Green Cardamom – 2-3 (just crush it, whole – do not leave the covers)
Good Assam/Darjeeling Tea – Tata Tea Gold(blend of CTC & Long leaf tea) – 1.5 teaspoon
1. Heat up the water, DO NOT let it come to a rolling boil.
2. Once you see the bubbles forming up, put in the tea & ginger.
3. Most Important – Let it remain in low heat itself for about 8-10 minutes. If you heat it up a lot then the tea will become bitter, but less heat and long time imparts all the flavour.
4. Add Milk & Sugar, push up the heat to Medium and let it come to boil for once.
5. Add Cardamon – Let it Boil for a second time, a take it off the stove top.
6. Wait for couple of minutes before you filter it out. Do not sqeeze the filter at all.
Use more Cardamom in Summer time, and more of Ginger in winter. The dominant spice normally vary according to the season. Also cardamom oil is not a substitute for real cardamom in this tea.

Now its time to enjoy a real cup of Chai. :)

TheTeaFairy

The chai recipe is very insightful, certainly sounds more yummy than the one you just reviewed :-)

StarlitSilences

Thanks, let me know how it turns out for you.

Ze_Teamaker

Will be trying this…

Drinking at the salon with vanilla creamer. Hot tea under the dryer was a bad idea, but it is very yummy!

Ashley Bain

I always wonder why I accept hot coffee when I’m sitting under the hot dryer. But I drink it anyways, haha.

Pretty tasty! I wasn’t sure about this tea when I bought it last night. But it does have a little kick to it to get my morning off and running. I like the blend of spice too…really smooth.

This tea is spicy as hell. After trying Bigelow’s Vanilla Chai sampler and being absolutely delighted with it, I chose to get this chai tea because I couldn’t find Bigelow at my local supermarket. This tea denied all the expectations I had, as I hoped for a toasty mellow tea with just enough spice to add a new dimension to it. What I tasted was a tea that was very heavy on the spice (particularly ginger?), and in this case more was definitely not better. I even felt that the spices tasted like some artificial chemical, and I couldn’t take that off my mind throughout the cup. Also, the tea flavor was definitely lacking, just like the other Stash tea I tried.

EDIT: No wonder I found this tea spicy. I bought the double spice instead of the normal one!!!

I really like this, especially the cloves and nutmeg. The ginger is a wee bit strong for me, but that’s me, I don’t like a lot of ginger. A surprisingly smooth tea for a spicy blend.

Jillian

It’s funny because I’m not tasting the ginger, all I can taste is the cinnamon. I can barely taste ginger or anything else at all!

I love this tea! It’s wonderful for soothing a sore throat, and great for just something to drink. Adding only two teaspoons of sugar and a little bit of cinnamon, and a splash of milk really brings out the flavour of it. I highly recommend it to everyone who enjoys a nice warm cup of chai spice :)

MsWhatsit

Ah ha, I found you!!! :)

Feeling better today, though a little more sleep would not be unwelcome. So, feeling lazy, I decided to use one of the bags I have a work.

Not a bad tea, but with this brand, there’s always been this oily taste that I’m not fond of. I’m not sure if it’s the cinnamon or the clove. It’s not there in other chais that I have tasted. So I’m not sure what it is that’s not to my taste. I just know that I’m unlikely to purchase this particular flavor for myself, though I generally do like Stash teas.

I love the ginger and cardamom notes in this tasty tea. It’s one of my favorites and very affordable for those on a budget.

Rabs