Black Chai Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Alaina

From Stash Tea Company

Spicy, aromatic blend of black teas, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, clove and cardamom.

About Stash Tea Company View company

Opened the bag expecting brilliance (or as much as one can get from a bagged tea) and instead got a nose-full of Big Red. Funny…the smell didn’t translate over into the taste as this basically tasted like plain black tea. I mean, there is a sense that cinnamon might be present in the tea, but it really doesn’t show its face unless you keep the bag brewing throughout the drinking process (and it’s effing annoying to get teabagged everytime you take a sip). Also, there was a lot of dust from this bag, not a fan of that. At least it got me caffeinated enough to find a better tea.

Full review here: http://theteablag.blogspot.com/2011/01/between-devil-and-deep-black-tea.html

I absolutely love this tea. I have only really been a tea drinker for about three months (a youngling, I know), so I need some help from some of the veterans on this site to help me know what is the best tea to drink. I love this new realm of taste that I have been exposed to and look forward to trying as many teas as I am capable of.

Cofftea

Chai is a bold place to start- I’m proud of you:) I love chais as long as they don’t have annis or fennel. My stomach is weird… black teas tend to upset my stomach, but chais don’t. Some suggestions for you:

*Stick w/ loose leaf when at all possible. If you’re on the go, you can buy empty tea bags (I love the ones at www.adagio.com) to fill w/ your favorite teas so you can have both eas and quality.

*Seek out unique chais. www.adagio.com has some great ones and stash has a white tea based chai.

*Seek out “weird” or “taboo” teas… white cucumber, pu erh, flavored oolongs, etc.

*Try tea blends like mine:

It tastes like wood pulp and sand. Literally undrinkable. I had to return it and ask the cafe to please give me anything else.

I don’t know what they’re putting in there, but this thing tastes like neither tea nor spice. I’m used to brewing chai at home with black tea, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, black pepper, fennel and nutmeg if it helps to know where I am coming from.

If I were trapped in a cave-in and my choices were down to this and brackish rusty mine-water, I might go for a 50/50 split of the two.

Having worked at Borders (pre-Seattle’s Best), Starbucks, and Barnes & Noble I’ve tried their chai drinks and didn’t care for any of them. I likened the tastes to liquified servings of cinnamon & sugar toast. Granted, I never did try the Tazo tea bag version of this during my tenure at Starbucks, so I decided “what the hey” this morning and gave this free sample a go.

While I waited for the tea bag to steep I took a sniff of the packet and my head involuntarily shot back. The spice smell was so intense that my sinuses actually cursed at me in several languages. I quickly tossed the packet in the trash and tried to get myself back into a zen-like state of open-mindedness regarding this tea.

The smell reminds me a lot of the Extra Cinnamon gum that I had to stop chewing because it irritated my mouth so much. And here I must note that I’m a straight-up-no-additive tea drinker. I could imagine this tea being benefitted by some sugar and milk (but then I think that it’d be back to the liquified cinnamon & sugar toast taste). I actually preferred this black version over the other chais I’ve tried. The smell is a lot more intense than the taste. Someone mentioned that this tea reminds them of Christmas – I can see that, but Harney and Sons’ Holiday tea has already taken that spot for me.

Overall, I wouldn’t turn down this tea if it were offered to me, but I will not be purchasing this one. I am now very curious about their Double Spice Chai (with which I will NOT do the pre-steep packet sniff). M

Not bad for bagged. The spice aroma is definitely there, although it takes 2-3 teabags per cup to get the real strength of a chai. I also end up using about 4-6 of those little creamer cups we have at work since I don’t keep milk in the work fridge. Some sugar, maybe put it over some ice… It’s not the best chai I’ve ever had, but it suffices as a nice change from the cheap black tea during the workday without sacrificing my caffeine.

Made a cup of chai milk tea for dinner tonight to pair with my Trader Joe’s indian food. Wonderful combination!

Boiling

Yes, I know that Chai tea is a spice tea served with milk (like a latte) or not. Maybe I am not a spicy type of guy. This tea has the black tea as a base with spices. In my opinion it is strong on the spice. As the liquor touch my pallet I was instantly struck with cinnamon (and maybe ginger) that overwhelmed me.

I have tried other Chais, but this one wouldn’t find a place in my cupboard.

I always brew this very strong, and have it with milk and a bit of honey instead of sugar. One of my favourite chais.

setownsend

Yes, that is one of my favorite ways to have this tea as well. Good choice on the honey.

This was the first chai I ever tasted, and I was very impressed at first, but that faded somewhat as I grew more accustomed to drinking other straight black teas. I began to realize that the balance of this tea is off. There’s too much cinnamon and not enough black tea here. Even so, sometimes a cup of hot cinnamon water can be very soothing, especially when mixed with an appropriate amount of milk and sugar.

This chai also works well when you mix it with other teas and tea additives. I guess that’s the real thing to know about this tea: it works well when you mix it with other things. As a stand-alone tea it’s a little boring. Turn this into a chai latte, an iced chai, or some other chai concoction and you’ve really got something.

So far, this is my favorite (straight) chai tea blend out of all the companies. They get it completely right. Perfect balance of sweet, spice, and can be drank straight or doctored.