Wuyishan Black

Caramel, Tobacco, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

3 Images

• “My steepster select teas came a few days ago, & how could I not start with this one? I am a fan of Wuyi teas, & this one is no exception. It has a deep earthy kind of taste, & a fruity richness. My...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2475 tasting notes
  • “This tea came in the Steepster select box for December. Definitely has flavors that are reminiscent of a wuyi oolong which is understandable given the origin of the leaf. Very earthy with a hint of...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2159 tasting notes
  • “Steepster Select! This tea was pretty unique! Smokey apple wood, smooth and cherry with a little astringency at the end. It seems like the perfect tea to sip on, while I watch my husband grill...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 932 tasting notes
  • “Hmm, I dunno about this tea. It is smokey, tart, and a little bitter. I'm not getting much sweetness from it so it seems unbalanced somehow. I can appreciate its uniqueness, but it is definitely...” Read full tasting note
    paradigmamnesia 684 tasting notes

From Steepster

A rare and innovative black tea from Fujian, China. Sweet and smooth with notes of caramel and sour cherry. Unlike traditional black tea, our Wuyishan Black is made from oolong varietals. This unorthodox method imbues our Wuyishan with complex fruit aromatics and a deep flavor that reveals itself through multiple infusions.

About Steepster View company

I am hesitant to try Chinese blacks anymore, except yunnan. Others usually taste like veggies that have been steamed in a dry pot. yuck! But the description of this one made it sound much different: fruit, cherry, caramel. . I almost detected the fruit at first, but then I lost the detection. This tea, to me, has that smokey undertone that I can’t appreciate, like a keemun. These type of teas literally taste all identical to me. I can’t get past the smoky to notice other flavors. I am leaving this tea unrated since I cannot be a fair judge here.

Steep Information:
Amount: 4 tsp (2 sample packs)
Water: 1000ml at 205°F
Tool: Breville One-Touch Tea Maker BTM800XL
Steep Time: 2 minutes
Served: Hot

Tasting Notes:
Dry Leaf Smell: sweet, malty
Steeped Tea Smell: sweet, caramel
Flavor: light vegetal, malty, carmel finish
Body: Medium
Aftertaste: malty, fruity
Liquor: translucent very dark red brown

From the Steepster Select tea subscription.

Company or farm obtained from unspecified. Listed as sold out

Resteep:
1000ml at 205°F for 2 minutes 30 seconds
smooth, almost silky, malty, less sweet

Resteep:
1000ml at 205°F for 3 minutes 30 seconds
Dark color but very light flavor

Rating: 2/4 leaves

Blog http://amazonv.blogspot.com/2014/02/loose-leaf-black-tea-wuyishan-black.html

Another from the December Steepster Select box! This tea was very earthy, smokey, and a bit tart. It reminded me of a milder version of some pu’er that I had before (though I’ve only had it once). Seems like a good quality tea, just a bit too earthy tasting for my taste.

For me, the recommended brewing time wasn’t quite long enough. I let the tea steep for an additional 30 seconds, which brought out both the caramel and black tea notes. In a lot of black teas, any caramel sweetness comes out below the tea flavor, like the sweetness requires thinking about and parsing out. This tea seems to lead with the caramel, with the soft round black tea coming in second.

This tea seemed like the perfect fit for sitting in front of a fire and watching Netflix. I added a pinch of sugar because it seemed a bit tart and astringent on the first infusion, but I think I added just a hair too much – much of the complexity I detected earlier is hidden. I will have to see how this holds up to other infusions in order to give any ratings. Its still pleasant to sip on though.

2 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

An excellent quality black tea but not my taste of black. I tend to like a sweeter black tea. This one is smoky and savory. Maybe with more and knowing what to expect I would find a place for it in my cupboard.

An all right tea; I brewed mine much longer than the recommended two minutes (I think more like 6 minutes), because I prefer a stronger tea. It was a lightly flavored and lightly scented tea, not bitter even despite the apparent oversteeping, and it was okay with milk, but doesn’t seem to be “made” to have milk and sugar added. The tasting notes (caramel and sour cherry) were very light, and I barely tasted them.

This is the first of the Steepster select teas I have tried. I was initially pretty unimpressed by the amount of tea in the packet, as I would generally use more tea to fill my mug. But I wanted to get the right flavor, so I measured out 8oz for each of my two steeps, and I would say this amount of tea is perfectly suited for 8oz of water.

I thought the dry leaf smelled like other plain black teas – nothing too significant about it. I prepared according to the instructions, and thankfully didn’t get the wet dog scent that others have noticed.

I find that this is a smooth and tasty black tea. On both steeps, I got similar flavor profiles, just less intense on the second go-round. It’s definitely slightly fruity, with a pleasant mouthfeel and no acidity or astringency whatsoever. It has a light, smoky flavor, and it’s not a strong tasting black tea, but I do like it.

For a plain black tea, this is a winner. I would recommend giving it a try if you get a chance!

Mildly smoky and delicious. Definitely fruity. Too subtle to blend.

well….it’s ok. i agree with others that the smoky flavor overwhelms the others. i found by adding a little sugar the smoke dissipated a little, letting some of the other flavor come out. still, just too much. after i added some milk (gasp!) was quite drinkable, not a bad cuppa for an afternoon, but not a favorite.

ON EDIT: second steeping waited a day, with the damp leaves left in empty pot overnight in fridge – steeped about 4 minutes, it was this time a very nice, boring black tea. most smokey flavor was gone, just a pleasant but not astounding flavor. milk and sugar helped. eh.