Wuyishan Black

Caramel, Tobacco, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

3 Images

• “My steepster select teas came a few days ago, & how could I not start with this one? I am a fan of Wuyi teas, & this one is no exception. It has a deep earthy kind of taste, & a fruity richness. My...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2480 tasting notes
  • “This tea came in the Steepster select box for December. Definitely has flavors that are reminiscent of a wuyi oolong which is understandable given the origin of the leaf. Very earthy with a hint of...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2163 tasting notes
  • “Steepster Select! This tea was pretty unique! Smokey apple wood, smooth and cherry with a little astringency at the end. It seems like the perfect tea to sip on, while I watch my husband grill...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 933 tasting notes
  • “Hmm, I dunno about this tea. It is smokey, tart, and a little bitter. I'm not getting much sweetness from it so it seems unbalanced somehow. I can appreciate its uniqueness, but it is definitely...” Read full tasting note
    paradigmamnesia 687 tasting notes

From Steepster

A rare and innovative black tea from Fujian, China. Sweet and smooth with notes of caramel and sour cherry. Unlike traditional black tea, our Wuyishan Black is made from oolong varietals. This unorthodox method imbues our Wuyishan with complex fruit aromatics and a deep flavor that reveals itself through multiple infusions.

About Steepster View company

My nose is a little congested today so I am not getting much aroma from this tea. That may be why I am missing the earth and smoke that others have described. However, this is one of the best black teas I can remember having. It reminds me of the best elements of a cherry truffle without being overly sweet. For a black tea it has very little astringency so that the flavors of the tea remain smooth and linger. You can easily pickup the slight caramel sweetness and the tart cherry flavors. These flavors are very balanced. A great tea to start the day and paired nicely with the scrambled eggs I had this morning.

Mild black tea flavor, very nice notes of fruit in the finish. Not a particularly bold tea, would be nice for summer and warmer days. Nice flavor complexity, with many delicate overlapping tastes. Light tannins, very easy to drink. 8/10

TTB&C #8

This is an epic fail on my part. I am blaming my overworked brain this week. I for some reason had it in my head that this was a Verdant sample. I even searched my cupboard to make sure I didn’t already own THIS verdant tea. As I was tearing open the package and dumping the contents into my steeper I realized that this was not a Verdant tea, this was a Steepster Select tea, which I have tried, haven’t reviewed, and still have one package left of it. So this will just be a swap out. I will enjoy this package and add my sample pack to the box.

This tea is very nice treat tonight. It is earthy/woody with a fruity after taste. It is really really hitting the spot tonight. My first steep of this in December I remember not knowing what to think.

Great sample. Caramel malt and cherry oh my. Brewed in a small yixing and served gongfu style to a group of friends and we now have a few new tea converts among us.

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

Alright. FInally trying this out of the Steepster box I got, errmmm, back in January. Lol.
Ended up using the entire pouch for 12 oz, which might or might not have been 2 tsp if I had heaped the spoon. As it was I took one tsp out intending to just do 8oz, then measuring to see how much was left. Then just went screw it, and dumped it all in there and went with my usual 12oz. Lol.
Kinda smokey/earthy sort of smell with a hint of something vaguely malty to it? I need a list or something so that I can pick descriptions off it.
Sipping at it I definitely get a bit of smoke, but it’s not like ‘Ugh!’ sort of smoke. It’s actually very good. And I get earthy, mulchy sort of taste which again, isn’t unpleasant. It’s kinda astringent after the sip, but I don’t mind it that much (which is rare since I detest that feeling you get from even most mildly astringent teas), at least not enough that I’ll be pouring the cup out instead of drinking it. And there’s a faintly fruity aftertaste to it, but nothing strong or specifically identifiable.
It’s a little tart and slightly bitter (which goes along with the astringency), but not unpleasant enough for me to want to dump the cup.
About halfway through sipping at it trying to figure it out I added a bit of Truvia, which got rid of alot of the bitterness and I can taste a but more fruitiness coming through on the sip instead of just in an aftertaste.
I can say that the longer I drink this tea, the more the astringency seems to be building up. Which now makes it a tea that I’ll be happy to finish off the second pouch of, but nothing that I was seek to buy.

I got this is a swap with CharlotteZero! So, thank you so much!

There’s a lot of smoke and leather in the aroma of the brewed cup, but it doesn’t transfer into the flavor as strongly as I’d feared (though it definitely does). It’s actually slightly winey, with a tart fruit note in the back of the sip and a little bit of sweetness is present as well. It has a cooling sensation in my mouth, despite being piping hot.

Overall, this is a pretty good cup. I’m just unsure if it’s something I could see keeping on hand.

Another from my lucky free Steepster box! thanks Steepster! Instructions say 205 degrees for 2 minutes. The more I drink Fujian teas, the more I like them!

Steep #1 // few minutes after boiling // 2 min
This one is actually pretty much how I expected it would be, after some disappointing tasting notes that I’ve read. The description itself sets itself up for disappointment…. cherry and caramel? The flavor profile could give hints of cherry, if you’re really looking but not really caramel. This is like Laoshan Black but with less chocolate notes. There is something that could be interpreted as smokiness, but I think it’s just the way Fujian teas taste. I like it, but I can see others like Laoshan black more for the chocolate notes.

Steep #2 // just boiled // 3-4 min
This cup is much deeper and much chocolatier, chewier, not necessarily a better cup for me, but it’s interesting that it’s a different flavor profile with the second cup. I like this one even if it wasn’t cherry/caramel.

Got this from the Steepster Select December package. Dude. I need to get through those teas. I think I have just a single serving for 4 of the 5. The Roasted Dong Ding I left for my roommate since she loved it so much :)
This smells like a typical black tea. Assam? Ceylon? It didn’t have any defining features right when I ripped open the package, and as it was steeping, it still smelt like a typical black tea.
Tasting it, it tastes a bit weaker than other black teas that I’ve had, but I do get bits of that “sour cherry” that is written on the package.
Overall, an okay cup of tea. The other package has been placed in my sipdown pile already and I’d happily rid this tea from my stash :)

Slept at 1:30 last night and I’m actually really surprised that I was able to whip out my paper in 2 hours. HA. I legit started it at 11pm and finished at 1. But I had a pretty nice outline, I just didn’t add this company in the outline so I had to tweak a while bunch of things.
Now with a full night’s rest, it is 11 am, I’m drinking this tea to wake me up! Paper is due at 1:30 tonight and now I’m just editing all the mistakes that my 12am brain made haha.

mmmm i can get behind this tea as a tea from the select box. To have a box full of teas like this, i would maybe pay the 25$. This is a slightly smoky tea..in that it comes across as the memory of smoke…rather than being smokey..combined with the sweet caramel notes, it’s perfect. I don’t get much of the sour cherry from this, but i am a fan… yes..this is lovely. Except, i can’t buy it..soooo booo!

Until Steepster Select, I had not tried many straight black teas. I’m just an oolong & green girl, and never really wanted to be trying plain blacks. I am a changed woman after experiencing the black teas in this first steepster select box.

I loved this tea. The smokiness was nice. The caramel and sour cherry notes were phenomenal. I had no idea I would like a black tea so much. I brewed this gongfu style to really enjoy these flavors, and I’m quite glad I did that.