Wuyishan Black

Caramel, Floral, Fruity, Honeysuckle, Sweet, Tobacco, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

3 Images

From Steepster

A rare and innovative black tea from Fujian, China. Sweet and smooth with notes of caramel and sour cherry. Unlike traditional black tea, our Wuyishan Black is made from oolong varietals. This unorthodox method imbues our Wuyishan with complex fruit aromatics and a deep flavor that reveals itself through multiple infusions.

About Steepster View company

I got this is a swap with CharlotteZero! So, thank you so much!

There’s a lot of smoke and leather in the aroma of the brewed cup, but it doesn’t transfer into the flavor as strongly as I’d feared (though it definitely does). It’s actually slightly winey, with a tart fruit note in the back of the sip and a little bit of sweetness is present as well. It has a cooling sensation in my mouth, despite being piping hot.

Overall, this is a pretty good cup. I’m just unsure if it’s something I could see keeping on hand.

Another from my lucky free Steepster box! thanks Steepster! Instructions say 205 degrees for 2 minutes. The more I drink Fujian teas, the more I like them!

Steep #1 // few minutes after boiling // 2 min
This one is actually pretty much how I expected it would be, after some disappointing tasting notes that I’ve read. The description itself sets itself up for disappointment…. cherry and caramel? The flavor profile could give hints of cherry, if you’re really looking but not really caramel. This is like Laoshan Black but with less chocolate notes. There is something that could be interpreted as smokiness, but I think it’s just the way Fujian teas taste. I like it, but I can see others like Laoshan black more for the chocolate notes.

Steep #2 // just boiled // 3-4 min
This cup is much deeper and much chocolatier, chewier, not necessarily a better cup for me, but it’s interesting that it’s a different flavor profile with the second cup. I like this one even if it wasn’t cherry/caramel.

Got this from the Steepster Select December package. Dude. I need to get through those teas. I think I have just a single serving for 4 of the 5. The Roasted Dong Ding I left for my roommate since she loved it so much :)
This smells like a typical black tea. Assam? Ceylon? It didn’t have any defining features right when I ripped open the package, and as it was steeping, it still smelt like a typical black tea.
Tasting it, it tastes a bit weaker than other black teas that I’ve had, but I do get bits of that “sour cherry” that is written on the package.
Overall, an okay cup of tea. The other package has been placed in my sipdown pile already and I’d happily rid this tea from my stash :)

Slept at 1:30 last night and I’m actually really surprised that I was able to whip out my paper in 2 hours. HA. I legit started it at 11pm and finished at 1. But I had a pretty nice outline, I just didn’t add this company in the outline so I had to tweak a while bunch of things.
Now with a full night’s rest, it is 11 am, I’m drinking this tea to wake me up! Paper is due at 1:30 tonight and now I’m just editing all the mistakes that my 12am brain made haha.

mmmm i can get behind this tea as a tea from the select box. To have a box full of teas like this, i would maybe pay the 25$. This is a slightly smoky tea..in that it comes across as the memory of smoke…rather than being smokey..combined with the sweet caramel notes, it’s perfect. I don’t get much of the sour cherry from this, but i am a fan… yes..this is lovely. Except, i can’t buy it..soooo booo!

Until Steepster Select, I had not tried many straight black teas. I’m just an oolong & green girl, and never really wanted to be trying plain blacks. I am a changed woman after experiencing the black teas in this first steepster select box.

I loved this tea. The smokiness was nice. The caramel and sour cherry notes were phenomenal. I had no idea I would like a black tea so much. I brewed this gongfu style to really enjoy these flavors, and I’m quite glad I did that.

Smoky and deep yet smooth.

Flavors: Caramel, Tobacco, Vanilla

Backlog:

Of the five teas that were in the December Steepster Select box, this one was definitely my favorite. It’s a seriously good tea.

I got two awesome infusions out of this tea. The first was rich and full-flavored. It tasted and felt smooth as it washed over the palate. The second infusion was less astringent than the first, making it a smoother, silkier experience.

Smoky, sweet and sour notes, caramel-y undertones. A really wonderful tea!

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/01/10/wuyishan-black-tea-steepster/

Smokey and smooth.

a floral black tea..for sure. I like it. It grew on my with every sip.

I honestly can’t believe no one has commented on the most obvious scent of this tea (though maybe most of you are city folks)…a nice ripe cow field. I was repulsed by the dry scent at first, but thought I’d give it a chance, as I know all too well that dry scents can sometimes translate to drastically different steeped scents.

…Nope, it smelled exactly of cow manure. The tea itself wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t great, either. I never thought I’d describe a tea that way, but it really is spot on. I just couldn’t tolerate the last half of the cup with manure smells assaulting my nose every time I took a sip.

I’ll keep my second sample as a prank for my next tea party.