Wuyishan Black

Caramel, Tobacco, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

3 Images

• “My steepster select teas came a few days ago, & how could I not start with this one? I am a fan of Wuyi teas, & this one is no exception. It has a deep earthy kind of taste, & a fruity richness. My...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2485 tasting notes
  • “This tea came in the Steepster select box for December. Definitely has flavors that are reminiscent of a wuyi oolong which is understandable given the origin of the leaf. Very earthy with a hint of...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2165 tasting notes
  • “Steepster Select! This tea was pretty unique! Smokey apple wood, smooth and cherry with a little astringency at the end. It seems like the perfect tea to sip on, while I watch my husband grill...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 935 tasting notes
  • “Hmm, I dunno about this tea. It is smokey, tart, and a little bitter. I'm not getting much sweetness from it so it seems unbalanced somehow. I can appreciate its uniqueness, but it is definitely...” Read full tasting note
    paradigmamnesia 691 tasting notes

From Steepster

A rare and innovative black tea from Fujian, China. Sweet and smooth with notes of caramel and sour cherry. Unlike traditional black tea, our Wuyishan Black is made from oolong varietals. This unorthodox method imbues our Wuyishan with complex fruit aromatics and a deep flavor that reveals itself through multiple infusions.

About Steepster View company

Smoky and deep yet smooth.

Flavors: Caramel, Tobacco, Vanilla

Backlog:

Of the five teas that were in the December Steepster Select box, this one was definitely my favorite. It’s a seriously good tea.

I got two awesome infusions out of this tea. The first was rich and full-flavored. It tasted and felt smooth as it washed over the palate. The second infusion was less astringent than the first, making it a smoother, silkier experience.

Smoky, sweet and sour notes, caramel-y undertones. A really wonderful tea!

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/01/10/wuyishan-black-tea-steepster/

Smokey and smooth.

a floral black tea..for sure. I like it. It grew on my with every sip.

I honestly can’t believe no one has commented on the most obvious scent of this tea (though maybe most of you are city folks)…a nice ripe cow field. I was repulsed by the dry scent at first, but thought I’d give it a chance, as I know all too well that dry scents can sometimes translate to drastically different steeped scents.

…Nope, it smelled exactly of cow manure. The tea itself wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t great, either. I never thought I’d describe a tea that way, but it really is spot on. I just couldn’t tolerate the last half of the cup with manure smells assaulting my nose every time I took a sip.

I’ll keep my second sample as a prank for my next tea party.

I got 3 good steeps from this tea. The first steep was as directed (205 for 2 mins). By the time I got to the 3rd steep I was up to 4 mins.

Color: Brownish-red, dark like black tea
Aroma: More light floral than fruity with slight caramel note
Body: Medium mouthfeel
Flavor: Sour/tart note hits both front and back of palate, slight fruitiness

I added honey to the 3rd steep. What a difference! The unpleasant tartness was replaced by a lovely sweet cherry note and the caramel taste was much fuller.

This tea is pretty much what it says on the box. It has strong tannic tastes and almost a very mild apple notes to it as well. I was able to get about 3 good steeps out of the sample that I received.

This tea was earthy, malty, and had hints of honey sweetness. Its a very light and smooth black tea. A little sweet for my liking as I prefer the bold/sharp black teas a bit more.

Carmel hint was nice. Liked it!

I was surprised I liked this one as much as I did. Smoother than I expected, with some definite sour cherry notes. I didn’t pick up on the caramel, though, so next time I might try steeping it half a minute or so longer than the recommended time.