Guiyuan Roasted Dong Ding

Caramel, Honey, Sweet, Toasty, Baked Bread, Chocolate, Coconut, Molasses
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

3 Images

From Steepster

A deep roasted oolong from Nantou, Taiwan. Rich aromatics of coffee, brown sugar, concord grapes and toasted coconut. Our Guìyuán Dong Ding is a classic style produced using the traditional method of hand roasting over charcoal. Exposure to high heat gently changes the leaf sugar composition leading to a naturally sweet liquor.

About Steepster View company

This is a great tea. It smells of sweet, toasted brown sugar and a hint of coconut – as the description says. Very lightly floral, roast-y, and figgy on the tongue. This oolong has a nice smooth, heavy feel at first – but the aftertaste is bright and fruity.
I could really get into this tea!

Full bodied flavor, was surprised based on the light color of the tea. Naturally sweet, with deep notes of dried fruit and brown sugar. Very comforting, warming winter tea. Almost no tannic flavors. I enjoyed this tea very much. 9/10

Stronger flavor the second infusion. It’s lost some of the toasty flavor from the first steeping, still not getting coconut.

Wow the nose of this is something I have never smelled on a roasted Dong Ding. This will be my 4th that I have tasted. Doing this in the gaiwan.

Smell: sweet brown sugar, coffee, a creamy nutty smell.
First Steep: After a quick rinse I do a 20 sec brew time to start things off. No much coming through, not as roasting as I would expect.

Smell: More coffee, and coconut coming off the gaiwan. Smells even better.
2nd Steep: Still not much on taste coming through. This tea is a lot lighter then I would expect.

So far I am intrigued I just wish it will give me a little more. Long steeping will hopefully change this.

I received this as part of an oolong sampler Steepster now offers. This was a pleasant, relaxing tea with faintly sweet character hinting of honey, and simply satisfying. It was great for three steeps. I increased water temperature and steep time just a tad with each subsequent steep, starting slightly lower than recommended.

Flavors: Caramel, Honey

I took a whiff of the steeped leaves, and was greeted by an aroma reminiscent of genmaicha’s toastiness.

The liquor itself is still too hot to sip, but the caramel and coconut notes are subtly in my nose. I hope these scents come through on the tongue, the notes on the packages are so rarely what I experience.

They didn’t. It’s toasty and nutty and fantastically sweet. The caramel wants to come through, but stayed in my nose in the end. Most of this tea’s character plays out in the nose, and that’s okay. I like it.

Flavors: Sweet, Toasty

This was from the December 2013 Steepster Select box.

It was a really rainy night last night and I really wanted to curl up into a ball under blankets and read. This toasty oolong seemed liked the perfect company. Being the start of summer, I haven’t been drinking too many of the darker oolongs lately. This was a nice treat. Roasty, sweet, lighter oolong. I brewed this gong fu style and it just kept giving and giving and giving. I had to call it quits and go to bed before the tea gave out. I enjoyed this one!

TheTeaFairy

Dong Ding, a book, and a blanket sounds really good this morning :-)

This tea smells like other roasted oolongs I’ve had before – seaweed, burnt wood, tree bark. I’m not crazy about roasted oolongs, but the tasting notes sounded promising for this one.

Sipping… this one is pretty bland for me. I hate to write this because I am finishing the cup, but it’s mostly a roasted, rather vegetal flavor that I’m tasting. It’s not so toasty that it has a smoky or burnt flavor, thankfully. The finish reminds me of salt water. The salt actually lingers on the tongue long after you’ve finished the sip. Curious. I wish that this were more eventful for me although I’m happy to have tried it.

The aroma from this tea is a combination of toasted bread, coconut, and molasses. I am worried that it will be overly sweet in flavor, but it is quite pleasing to smell. As the tea has cooled, a new aroma of cacao has appeared leveling out the initial sweetness. The first flavor that I am detecting is more of the cacao and chocolate. The sweetness from the aroma is non-existent in the flavor of this tea, and given the roasted notes present it drinks more like a coffee. However, there is a slight sour finishing flavor to this tea. I would say it is similar to red grape skins. Given the rare perfect spring day we are having today this is a perfect after lunch drink.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Chocolate, Coconut, Molasses

Brown sugar and toasted coconut notes come through in this very nicely, with a subtle fruitiness that doesn’t overpower. This is surprisingly sweet. Loved it.