Genmai-matcha Matsujirushi

Green Matcha Blend
Green Tea, Matcha Green Tea, Popped Rice
Green, Toasted Rice, Grass, Roasted Barley, Seaweed, Fish Broth, Ocean Breeze, Earth
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason
Buy Now

Available from Steepster.

From Steepster

Sencha leaves are expertly mixed with popped brown rice and milled matcha powder. A most comforting and delicious afternoon tea. You won’t find a greener tea anywhere!

About Steepster View company

Backlog:

This may just be the best Matcha dusted genmaicha tea that I’ve yet to taste. I’ve tried quite a few … this one (at this point) tops the list.

Roasty-toasty warmth with delicious nutty notes and a strong freshness of green tea flavors. The Sencha tea offers a good balance between sweet and contrasting bitter notes. It’s light and flavorful, and the matcha gives the cup a nice body and a slight creaminess which highlights the nutty flavors.

Really good. Delicious hot or iced.

this was quite a nice genmai-cha with matcha! one of the more delicately flavored version i’ve tried – sometimes they’re a little heavy on the matcha, a little light on the genmai, if you know what i mean. nice cuppa, duplicated later in the day and just as good!

When steeped longer this tea reveals a strong green with heavy rice flavor. Very nice every day tea.

Flavors: Green, Toasted Rice

Steepster sample 2 of 4

My first thought on opening the package: it’s cute! Something about all the toasted rice and little clouds of popped rice, and the matcha coloring everything green, just looks cheerful. Because of the matcha, I brewed in a transparent glass to see the green color, which did not disappoint.

This tea tastes just like it should—toasty and delicious like a rice snack. It does smell a bit like nori (dried seaweed). I was concerned by all the seaweed comments by other users at first, because for some reason my mind immediately went to…fresh kelp or something. But fortunately the actual aroma is quite pleasant.

(1st steep: 2 min) I have been looking forward to this tea all day. Luckily, I was not disappointed. The blended aroma of cut grass and toasted rice grains is solidly presented in this tea. The cut grass carries over into the flavor, and is well balanced with the toasted grain and bread flavor from the rice. Also, there is a brightness brought to this tea from the matcha powder. It adds weight and a chewiness to the tea which makes it filling. I would be happy drinking this tea any time of the day.
(2nd steep: 2 min 30 sec) There is less of the grassy notes in this steeping. I believe this is due to the lack of matcha powder in this steeping. However, the toasted rice has taken on a malted barley aroma. It is sweeter than the first steeping. Some of this sweetness carries into the flavor, but not enough to where I can be more specific. The flavor in the tea has turned more herbal than grass. However, I am having trouble placing it due to the toasted notes from the rice. As the tea cooled, the herbal flavor is clearly similar to seaweed, and goes well with the tea.

Flavors: Grass, Roasted Barley, Seaweed, Toasted Rice

This is my favorite tea I’ve had so far! The flavors are really strong and delicious!

I was very excited to find a genmai-cha in my Select box this month, as they are my absolute favorite type of green tea. This tea is a perfect example as to why I enjoy them: the nutty roasted rice perfectly balances the fresh grassy notes for a well-rounded flavor. I especially enjoyed the malty sweetness that appeared as the tea cooled. A perfectly complex and interesting tea, perfectly refreshing for a warm day. 9/10

My expectations were this: Lotsa matcha, notsomuch genmaicha. I was completely and totally wrong. It’s got a strong genmai flavor and only a hint of the matcha. I steeped this guy for so damn long, too—because I subconsciously ignored the timer—and it didn’t ruin it. Gotta like that.

Oh My…what a lovely tea this was. I’m so disappointed that it is not available. The balance between the toasted flavor and the matcha flavor was masterful.

This tea is so beautifully green! The aroma is peppery and mostly exhibits roasted nutty tones above all.

The dominant flavors are of algae and seaweed, with obvious toasty notes from the toasted rice. At first this tea tastes very briney, oceany, even fishy almost, but as I drink more of it and become more familiar with the taste, this effect diminishes and it is mostly just vegetal. The aftertaste is a little astringent, but not very noticeable.

This tea is a little on the uninteresting side for me. I brewed it in a 10 oz porcelain mug with a built-in porcelain infuser basket. I almost always brew gongfu method with a gaiwan but thought this would be more appropriate for this tea because of the matcha and because the packet just recommends to use 10 oz of water.

All that considered, I feel the taste is rather forward and not very deep or complex. I feel sort of unmoved.

Flavors: Fish Broth, Grass, Ocean Breeze, Seaweed

185 °F / 85 °C 2 min, 0 sec 10 OZ / 295 ML
Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

I wonder if I would like it since I love seaweed heavy teas, but usually I like my genmai-matcha on the sweeter side. Who knows?