Castleton Estate First Flush Darjeeling 2014

Black Tea Leaves
Earth, Grass, Chocolate, Kale, Malt, Pine, Spinach, Apricot, Bitter, Vegetal, Cream, Mineral, Cedar, Cloves, Flowers, Plant Stems, Plants
Loose Leaf, Sachet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Hugger
Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 6 g 11 oz / 327 ml

From Steepster

A new first flush black tea from one of the most respected gardens in Darjeeling. Grown from the China varietal of Camellia Sinensis, the flavors are bright and tangy with a notable balance. Castleton teas are revered for their low astringency.

About Steepster View company

Vegtal, spicy. Very green like. Pleasant.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 4 g 12 OZ / 354 ML

Backlog:

A really lovely first flush Darjeeling. Very low astringency, like what you might experience from a dry wine, only perhaps less harsh.

Nice fruity tones: apricot and peach and muscat grape. Nice to find muscatel in a first flush!

With most Darjeeling teas, I tend to discover woodsy or earthy type notes along with the fruit notes, but this one seems to be all about the fruit. Sweet and fruity – very nice.

The smell of this tea was very offputting…I thought it smelled like rotten vegetables. The taste was okay, but not memorable. Tasted more green than black to me.

Grassy/earthy with a bold, bitter aftertaste

Flavors: Earth, Grass

backlog – tried to review this on Sunday, but Steepster was down.

I ripped open the packet and took a sniff… asparagus? This definitely is more like a green tea than a black tea. Brewed it up, still smells like a vegetable garden.

Seemed a bit light, but maybe I just don’t get along with Darjeelings. I’ve never had one I really liked :( I will probably give the second packet away to my tea-loving coworker.

(1st steep: 4 min) This is the most unusual Darjeeling I have ever tasted. I had to go back an reassure myself that it was indeed a black tea. It looks and smells like many of the Japanese green teas I have had and enjoyed in the past. The aroma is very grassy and vegetal with a a very slight sulfur finish. These aromas carried over into the tea’s flavor. Very solid cut grass and green leafy vegetables, like spinach or kale. The is a slight pine and orange pith finish. Very interesting and unique. I am looking forward to the second steep.
(2nd steep: 4 min 30 sec) Much of the cut grass aroma is toned down, but there is still a solid vegetal presence. I will say that the flavor of the tea has changed and reduced the cut grass flavor cute a bit. It and the strong green leafy vegetable have been balanced with a malt and slight chocolate flavor. Which doesn’t sound like it should taste good, but it is quite pleasant. The tea finishes smoothly with almost no drying in the mouth.

Flavors: Chocolate, Grass, Kale, Malt, Pine, Spinach

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 14 OZ / 414 ML

Y’know how they (yes, “they”) say that Darjeeling can be more like a green tea than a black tea? Well, THIS particular Darjeeling has gotta be why. Truthfully, I think they kinda missed the mark there, too. Not seaweedy enough to be green, not heavy enough to be black, it tastes like itself! Just exactly like itself. Flowery, sweet, darjeelingy. The first flush leaves show winter what it feels like to be spring! I adore it. Absolutely adore.

A very interesting black tea that I would describe as being more like an aged green than anything else. A lot of vegetable notes in the body, peas and spinach most obviously, with a charming aroma of dried grass. I did not taste bitterness, however I could not detect any sweetness in the tea either, and so I was missing some depth and balance. This was a tricky one. I prefer more freshness to my greens, and more malt and oak to my blacks, so I don’t really know how to categorize this most unique Darjeeling. 6/10, would not pursue again, but I am interested in playing with temperatures and brew times for my second sample pouch.

First steep was too grassy, acidic, and bitter for my taste. The second steep has lost the bitterness, and has been replaced by a mild apricot sweetness. Not a tea I would reach for again, but it’s nice to taste once. I was surprised that it is a black tea, I would describe it as a green.

Flavors: Apricot, Bitter, Grass

Dry leaf has scents of fresh picked garden vegetables, tomato, basil. There are a large spectrum of greens in the twisty chopped leaves.
Wet leaf is a nice “oak leaf green” color,,, scent is very unique,,,I had to really think about this one,,where have I smelled this? I think I am detecting mild yellow tomato and some sweet herbal.
Liquor is a dark golden, still clear color. Scent is the yellow tomato, dried apricot, sweet date sugar.
Flavor – rich, thick mouthfeel, tomato, basil, pickle, bitter note (if you have ever eaten bitter melon, it has a small note of that so it is a sweet bitter),,,,I finally placed the flavor,,it is those Moroccan oil-cured olives. I had to taste and smell a lot to bring back my memory of where I had tasted or smelled this scent before.
This tea is fantastic for a tasting bc the complexity is stumping big time!!! You have to really involve your senses and it’s a flavor trip!!! Definitely an interesting tea,,,thank you Steepster for placing that one into the Select box!!!
I am glad I chose after lunch to try this tea,,,,this is definitely for tasting in the afternoon.

From the Steepster Select box; May, 2014