No. 55 Lord Bergamot

Bergamot, Earth
Loose Leaf, Sachet
Edit tea info Last updated by Shae
Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 2 g 10 oz / 298 ml

• “Home from my performances, I’m enjoying a cup of this. Although I’m not always a fan of bergamot, I am a fan of Steven Smith, at least of the teas from him that I have tried so far...” Read full tasting note
    terri-harplady 3229 tasting notes
  • “Today while running around, I got to the point where a stop for tea was required. I could feel the beginnings of that lack-of-caffeine headache. Here in the Pacific Northwest, there is a...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4833 tasting notes
  • “Tea of the afternoon. I’ll have to take it easy on the caffeine after this because I had two cups of coffee while I was out at a workshop today… I’ve had this in my cupboard for a...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2802 tasting notes
  • “Steep Information: Amount: 2 tsp Water: 212° filtered ~500ml Tool: Breville One-Touch Tea Maker BTM800XL (black, strong) Steep Time: 3 minutes Served: Hot Tasting Notes: Dry Leaf Smell: strong...” Read full tasting note
    amazonv 714 tasting notes

From Steven Smith Teamaker

A flavor somewhat superior to traditional Earl Grey. Fragrant Ceylon Dimbulla and Uva are artfully combined with select teas from India’s Assam valley, then scented with the essence of bergamot from the realm of Reggio Calabria, Italy.

Ceylon Dimbulla, Uva and Indian Assam full leaf teas and natural bergamot essence.

For best flavor, bring freshly drawn filtered water to a boil. Steep five minutes. If possible, play a little opera softly in the background.

About Steven Smith Teamaker View company

I liked that the steeping instructions on the box literally says to play some opera in the background. I played “the Diva dance” from the fifth element because that totally counts.

I like it. dark tea without the bitterness, nor an overwhelming taste of bergamot like so many earl grey teas have. very smooth and easy to drink. love it. will definitely try with some honey next time.
I steeped it to about 200 degrees Fahrenheit and steeped for 3 minutes rather than the 5 minutes recommended on the box and it tasted perfect for me. I would definitely drink this tea again. :)

Earl Grey is my favorite tea. That’s why my family bought me this lovely tea. I had tried it long ago, and couldn’t remember the name. Thank goodness for family giving it to me again! The tea leaves are of a better quality than that of other “Sacheted” teas. The aroma of Bergamot was quite strong as well. However, the brewed tea itself was not very strong, and was actually weak. Aside from this, the tea was well rounded, not very malty, and over all a mild-tasting Earl Grey. I would get this tea again, however, it is not my favorite Earl Grey.

This came my way via the previous round of the GCTTB. I haven’t had a chance to try any Steven Smith Teamaker teas though like most I’ve drank teas from his other brands, Tazo and Stash. The brewing instructions on the package made me giggle: “Steep 5 minutes while pondering the Earl’s affair with the Duchess of Devonshire.” Alright then. ;)

It’s a fairly standard earl grey though the base is most robust than most, in any event it’s quite enjoyable with milk, but I wouldn’t consider it to be anything remarkable. It’s more the sort of tea that would be a cupboard staple for anyone who wanted a good, basic earl grey.

RIP Steven Smith

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 10 OZ / 295 ML

Not really an earl grey, but certainly in the same bergamot family. I found it to be utterly delicious when prepared exactly as on the package despite it being a longer steep than I normally prefer.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML

My favorite Earl Grey that I can buy in bags.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

Another cup this morning. Really enjoy the bright citrus note from the bergamot. Put a little extra sugar in this time and, well, it was sweeter as one might expect. Just right for my mood this morning.

Boiling 6 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 14 OZ / 414 ML

Drinking the last of this sample from Terri. Thanks, again, Terri. This was super tasty. And I followed the instructions to the letter, regarding the playing of opera in the background, while the tea is brewing.

Yesterday’s two cups were accompanied by “Faust” and “La Boheme,” respectively. Today’s cup is accompanied by “Le nozze di Figaro.”

Got so caught-up in the music that I forgot to take the infuser out of the tea until eight minutes into the brew.

Cup from last night. Made it latte style with tiny bit of maple syrup. While it was good I probably had craved something else. If only I knew…

Boiling 5 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Hate when that happens

Right. Also my water is different now since I’m in PA. Nothing beats NYC tap water.

This smells pretty much like Earl Grey to me, which is totally fine, but it meant I got out the almond milk to splash in it before even brewing. Without, bergamot tastes super soapy to me.

Anyway, with a bit of almond milk, this was fantastic. I could taste the tea, bergamot, AND almond from my milk (something I really enjoy, and why I buy almond milk in the first place). Win.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Found a sample sachet of this, and since I’ve seen some Steven Smith reviews floating around lately I decided to give it a try.

First off, a little background info.

Earl Grey is my first tea love. It’s my go to if I need to drink a bag in public (like at a work conference or something, for example), and I don’t think I’ve met an EG I haven’t enjoyed. Not that I LOVE them all or anything, but they are easy to please me.

Anyhow, all that to say – this might be the very best non cream Earl Grey I’ve ever had.
The base is so delicious, it’s rich and smooth and silky and flavorful. The bergamot is perfect.

I added milk like I always do with EG and it was the very thing that I wanted to drink at that exact moment in time.

I do indeed foresee a Steven Smith order in my future, I’d love to be able to try some more sometime before I order! The Bungalow and Assam intrigue me especially.

They’ve been added to my future shopping list!

Oh! I think I tried this tea at a local shop recently! Didn’t get a chance to log it or look it up, but I remember it tasting good.

Oh yeah, delicious