No. 55 Lord Bergamot

Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Teatotaler
Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 2 g 10 oz / 298 ml

• “Home from my performances, I’m enjoying a cup of this. Although I’m not always a fan of bergamot, I am a fan of Steven Smith, at least of the teas from him that I have tried so far...” Read full tasting note
    terri-harplady 3240 tasting notes
  • “Today while running around, I got to the point where a stop for tea was required. I could feel the beginnings of that lack-of-caffeine headache. Here in the Pacific Northwest, there is a...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4839 tasting notes
  • “Tea of the afternoon. I’ll have to take it easy on the caffeine after this because I had two cups of coffee while I was out at a workshop today… I’ve had this in my cupboard for a...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2816 tasting notes
  • “Steep Information: Amount: 2 tsp Water: 212° filtered ~500ml Tool: Breville One-Touch Tea Maker BTM800XL (black, strong) Steep Time: 3 minutes Served: Hot Tasting Notes: Dry Leaf Smell: strong...” Read full tasting note
    amazonv 714 tasting notes

From Steven Smith Teamaker

A flavor somewhat superior to traditional Earl Grey. Fragrant Ceylon Dimbulla and Uva are artfully combined with select teas from India’s Assam valley, then scented with the essence of bergamot from the realm of Reggio Calabria, Italy.

INGREDIENTS
Ceylon Dimbulla, Uva and Indian Assam full leaf teas and natural bergamot essence.

PREPARATION
For best flavor, bring freshly drawn filtered water to a boil. Steep five minutes. If possible, play a little opera softly in the background.

About Steven Smith Teamaker View company

Cup from last night. Made it latte style with tiny bit of maple syrup. While it was good I probably had craved something else. If only I knew…

Boiling 5 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Stephanie

Hate when that happens

boychik

Right. Also my water is different now since I’m in PA. Nothing beats NYC tap water.

This smells pretty much like Earl Grey to me, which is totally fine, but it meant I got out the almond milk to splash in it before even brewing. Without, bergamot tastes super soapy to me.

Anyway, with a bit of almond milk, this was fantastic. I could taste the tea, bergamot, AND almond from my milk (something I really enjoy, and why I buy almond milk in the first place). Win.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Found a sample sachet of this, and since I’ve seen some Steven Smith reviews floating around lately I decided to give it a try.

First off, a little background info.

Earl Grey is my first tea love. It’s my go to if I need to drink a bag in public (like at a work conference or something, for example), and I don’t think I’ve met an EG I haven’t enjoyed. Not that I LOVE them all or anything, but they are easy to please me.

Anyhow, all that to say – this might be the very best non cream Earl Grey I’ve ever had.
The base is so delicious, it’s rich and smooth and silky and flavorful. The bergamot is perfect.

I added milk like I always do with EG and it was the very thing that I wanted to drink at that exact moment in time.

I do indeed foresee a Steven Smith order in my future, I’d love to be able to try some more sometime before I order! The Bungalow and Assam intrigue me especially.

They’ve been added to my future shopping list!

Dustin

Oh! I think I tried this tea at a local shop recently! Didn’t get a chance to log it or look it up, but I remember it tasting good.

whatshesaid

Oh yeah, delicious

Very nice bergamot flavour. It is distinct, but unlike some of the bergamots I’ve tasted, this one doesn’t smell like some cheap but concentrated cologne. It smells sweet and fresh and mellow. And it tastes likewise.

This tea did not have as much bergamot as I would like. I know many don’t like bergamot but I have become totally addicted to it. I would choose Double Bergamot and a few others that go heavy on the bergamot. All in all, a nice tea but nothing for a bergamot lover to get excited about even though it is named Lord Bergamot.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 9 OZ / 266 ML

A bold but not too strongly flavored Earl Grey. Not typical, even down to the name. This was a sample, I need to get some loose leaf to try it out.

This tea is a variation of earl grey, and it’s great. It’s simultaneously less bitter, but stronger than most of the other earl greys I’ve had.

Definitely for the lover of bergamot.

A very balanced Earl Grey. Soothing, elegant, ideal for sipping and enjoying slowly while relaxing. Almost no bitterness and very light on the bergamot.

In general I rather dislike bergamot, so was quite surprised to learn that I really enjoyed this brew. It’s smooth and mellow with a citrusy nose and a slightly sweet finish. The assam is definitely in there, but is not overpowering and gives the cup staying power.

Not recommended for resteep.