Blend No. 39 Fez

Tea Bag
Edit tea info Last updated by Shmiracles

From Steven Smith Teamaker

Full Leaf Green Tea
Rare green teas from China combined with aromatic spearmint grown in Oregon and a hint of lemon myrtle from Australia. Fez artfully evokes old Morocco, and tastes best when shared with friends while lounging on pillows.
Spring harvested full leaf Mao Feng China green tea, Oregon spearmint leaves and Australian lemon myrtle.

About Steven Smith Teamaker View company

Thanks for the sample TeaBrat!
I don’t think I’ve ever had a tea quite like this before. Hot, it was so dynamic and complex, and yummy! I coulda sworn there was yerba mate in there but nope it’s myrtle masquerading as mate. Ha!
Anyhow, now that it’s cooled I can really taste the lemon. Interesting. I still prefer it hot though.

yumm spearmint!
yumm lemon!
requesting this tea in a swap with jump62359 was a no brainer.
this bright floral green with a citrus flair is best very hot and any time of the day.
i know i have a few bags of this, but i still just re-steeped the teabag trying to get as much as i can from each taste.
easy peasy lemon squeezey.

Another sample, care of TastyBrew. Thanks! :)
A mild green tea with Spearmint & Lemon Myrtle. I’m not always a huge mint fan, & I much prefer peppermint over spearmint, but this tea is a pleasant after-breakfast cup. This isn’t bitter at all, & is even mildly sweet. The sip starts out a little creamy, followed by a refreshing sensation, but ends somewhat astringent, & that’s the only thing I don’t care for about it.

Sipdown (118).

Worst day ever on my gosh.
You know it’s a bad day when you don’t even feel like drinking tea at night because THERE’S NO TEA TO DRINK. Like seriously. I don’t feel like drinking any of the teas I have right now because I just feel nasty and gross and ugh no. I was dying in Philosophy today okay. After two presentations, I just wanted to run home and take a hot shower because my entire body was ACHING. I sat through the final two presentations and I was close to tears in the last one because my stomach was hurting so much, and my muscles felt tingly and weak and no.
But this one kinda just stood out because I wanted something minty so Fez it is. I’ve been saving it because it’s one of my favourites and now I am all out of it :(
Yeah. Today was just a bad day.

Hello.Kiki

I’m sorry you had a bad day :(

keychange

Glad yesterday ended. I hope today feels better!

Thanks for this sample Amy oh :)

I’m writing this a couple days after drinking it. I logged it so I wouldn’t forget to write a note.

This is a pretty good bright and happy citrusy tea. Heavier on the citrus than on the mint. I would have liked more mint, but I can just add some of my own next time.

180 °F / 82 °C

I had a craving for a mint tea after all heavy and spicy food. Very refreshing. I like Moroccan tea in general but I think this extra lemony flavor adds something special, sweet citrusy flavor. I think it’s balanced and pleasant. Probably will be excellent as iced tea

In the bag, Fez‘s dry smell is what your Starbucks Tazo mint tea wishes it could be. You get nothing but spearmint, with a hint of lemon that could pass as verbena, though in this case–pun intended–it’s Australian lemon myrtle. When was the last time you saw that one in a tea? Turns out it’s the perfect addition, as those sharp little acidic notes come out to play when the hot water hits the bag. No green smell at all, but that’s no surprise given the understated presence of their Mao Feng Shui.

Smith recommends drinking this tea while wearing a fez, but you’ll want to take your hats off to it–Fez, you sly fox!… Full review: http://snooteablog.com/2013/07/20/snooty-tea-review-steven-smith-tea-round-2/

I expected more of a green tea and less of a spearmint one, but even so it was a good cup.

I picked this tea up from SST’s booth at the World Tea Expo 2010. I steeped the tea four times in 8 oz of water. The 1st steeping was for 3 mins and turned out to be too short as that I only tasted the green tea flavors and none of the lemon myrtle or spearmint. 2nd steeping was for 6 mins and the lemon myrtle showed up more this time around. 3rd & 4th times were steeped again at 6 min but one cube of sugar was added. The flavors were more rounded by then and seemed nice. The leaves after the steeping smelled wonderful. I picked the tea more for the spearmint flavor but the lemon myrtle overpowered the spearmint flavor. Overall, I was somewhat happy with this tea.

Before I start this review, allow me to state that I am exceptionally picky when it comes to mint teas. I either like them or I don’t. There is usually little, if any middle ground. Oddly, this one fell into that precious little space in the middle for me. I didn’t really care for it, but at the same time, I have had worse. I will explain why I felt this way in a moment, but before I do that, I would like to backtrack a bit.

My on-again, off-again relationship with Maghrebi mint teas started with a spur-of-the-moment trip with a now ex-girlfriend to Bloomington, IN while still an undergraduate. In between visiting local shops and the beautiful campus of IU-Bloomington, we stopped at a small Mediterranean restaurant. It was a cool early spring afternoon and we agreed to split a pot of Moroccan mint tea to help us warm up as quickly as possible. It was absolutely delicious. Unfortunately, the waiter was unwilling to divulge any information about the tea. All he offered was that it was the owner’s favorite blend and that the owner was very secretive about it. I still have no clue what the tea was. I have tried several Moroccan mint blends in the years since, but have yet to find anything remotely resembling that tea.

I had high hopes when I received a sample sachet of this tea with a recent Steven Smith order. I normally like the teas offered by Steven Smith and figured that there was a good chance I would enjoy this one. Maybe it would even be similar to that beloved mint tea from long ago. Sadly, it wasn’t. First, this is not exactly a traditional Moroccan blend. Rather than using a base of Chinese or Ceylonese gunpowder green tea blended with fresh spearmint leaves, this is a blend of Zhejiang Mao Feng (the same tea Steven Smith Teamaker offers as No. 8 Mao Feng Shui), Australian Lemon Myrtle, and American spearmint. They may have been taking liberties with the traditional Moroccan formula, but whatever, I was still game.

I followed the merchant’s suggested brewing method for this tea. I steeped 1 teaspoon of loose leaf material (I’m assuming that is about how much they put in those sachets) in 8 ounces of 190 F water for 3 minutes. I did not attempt any additional infusions. I just didn’t feel like it.

After infusion, the delicate yellow-green liquor produced mild aromas of spearmint, lemon myrtle, grass, hay, and flowers. In the mouth, I noticed a somewhat turbulent blend of lemon, grass, hay, vegetable, spearmint, and floral, nectar-like notes. The finish was slightly muddy, with a lingering blend of spearmint, grass, hay, and lemon myrtle.

Okay, so I didn’t hate this tea, but I didn’t really like it either. The best Moroccan mint teas I have had have hewed fairly closely to the traditional Moroccan formula. I can give Steven Smith Teamaker a few extra points for attempting something unique, but this really did not work for me. First, I think their No. 8 Mao Feng Shui is a more or less great Mao Feng. In my opinion, it is one of their best and most consistent green teas. Blending it with both lemon myrtle and spearmint obscured some of the more intriguing vegetal and floral aromas and flavors that I enjoyed so much. Second, one of the reasons that Maghrebi mint teas work so well is that the savory, vegetal gunpowder green base creates a really unique contrast with the sweetness of the spearmint. Here, the teamakers started with a green tea that I found to be slightly floral, sweet, and smooth and blended it with both spearmint and lemon myrtle. This added additional layers of sweetness and vegetal, herbal character on top of an already somewhat sweet and mildly vegetal base. So, rather than having two distinct components that ended up melding and working together, you ended up with three components with one or more similarities that fought one another for dominance and then merged together all at once. In my opinion, it just came off as sloppy and muddled with too many loose ends, and that is not what I typically look for in a blend of any kind.

Flavors: Floral, Grass, Hay, Herbs, Lemon, Spearmint, Vegetal