No.9 Yunnan Full Leaf Black Tea

Edit tea info Last updated by Janefan

• “Ah yisssss!!!! This is what I have been chasing ever since more than a year ago when I had my introduction to Yunnans by chance in a random coffee shop. Dense and chewy, mildly sweet, leathery,...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 426 tasting notes
  • “Sitting at the Steven smith headquarters sipping this with the Bean who stole my cookie! Luckily this teas is so good I don't need a cookie. I'm very excited as there are several teas I've never...” Read full tasting note
    TastyBrew 357 tasting notes
  • “Another SST share from *Terri Harplady*! Yay! I forgot to smell the dry leaf. It is early. I wasn't thinking. But the smell as I poured it out of the pot was amazing. Like, wake me up amazing....” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “A tasty tea from *TastyBrew*! I love the description of this tea: sweet, spice, & leather with a hint of smoke. I'll add that it has that resinous tongue-thickening sensation as well. Thanks Tasty!” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2483 tasting notes

From Steven Smith Teamaker

ABOUT THIS TEA
The best teas from Yunnan (known as the birthplace of tea) are wiry and tightly twisted with distinct golden tips. This exquisite variety brews up rich amber-red in color, has a lightly sweet, floral flavor and aroma, and brings welcome notes of smoke, spice and leather.

INGREDIENTS
Full leaf China black tea from Yunnan Province.

PREPARATION
For best flavor, bring freshly drawn filtered water to a boil. Steep five minutes. It will seem like the blink of an eye.

About Steven Smith Teamaker View company

Ah yisssss!!!! This is what I have been chasing ever since more than a year ago when I had my introduction to Yunnans by chance in a random coffee shop. Dense and chewy, mildly sweet, leathery, thick and wonderful. I do get what my tastebuds identify as “smoke” but it lingers politely in the background, coming out more in the second steep but still as an aftertaste more than anything else. The first steep is best but the second is okay if you are trying to stretch your supply.

I’m starting to think what I taste as smoke is something else since so many others don’t notice smoke in teas that I do notice it in. Still makes my brain say “smoke” but maybe it isn’t what other people would think is “smoke” – and that probably makes very little sense. :)

Bonnie

Cinder? Charcoal? Sometimes I taste a burnt flavor like the caramelized outside bits on toast beef. It’s a great burnt taste but not smoke. Sometimes black tea has that roast beefy burned bits savory side.

remind me to get you to send a sample of this one my way eventually…i haven’t had much luck with most yunnans in that they’re tasty but nothing i LOVE.

Nicole

I’ll put it on the list for when there are enough to send a package :)

thanks lady!

TeaBrat

Nice. I might need to try this one.

Sitting at the Steven smith headquarters sipping this with the Bean who stole my cookie! Luckily this teas is so good I don’t need a cookie. I’m very excited as there are several teas I’ve never seen here before. Sil & Terri, you’re in for a treat!

ah mah gawd! I wish i could be there with you!

Shmiracles

oh man oh man

Terri HarpLady

Yay!! I’m there in spirit!!

TeaBrat

Oh, I am going to Portland soon, I should check ’em out

Tealizzy

That sounds like fun!!

Another SST share from Terri Harplady! Yay!

I forgot to smell the dry leaf. It is early. I wasn’t thinking. But the smell as I poured it out of the pot was amazing. Like, wake me up amazing. Rich and sweet like a thin, fragrant syrup with just a tickle of black pepper. That’s a lovely morning greeting.

The taste is really flavorful and pretty. Earthy – a hint of leather, a bit musty; floral – in a way that reminds me of a much milder version of germanium oil (in a way that doesn’t make me gag); spicy – just a lovely tickle of black pepper during the sip, a bit of mentholated tang (camphor maybe?) in the very late aftertaste; sweet – with malt and a faint note of something between caramel sauce and one of those cheap butterscotch hard candy.

So yeah, lots of stuff going on in this tea but it’s allover so soft and pretty that it doesn’t feel overwhelming. It’s really kind of wonderful. I think I definitely need to get more of this. This is seriously one of the best Yunnans I’ve had in a while.

Terri HarpLady

I’m glad you enjoyed it! :)

Auggy

I did! Thank you for sharing it! (And sorry for the delayed reply!)

A tasty tea from TastyBrew!
I love the description of this tea: sweet, spice, & leather with a hint of smoke. I’ll add that it has that resinous tongue-thickening sensation as well. Thanks Tasty!

Brought friends with to Smith HQ. While they were having their respective tasting flights, I ordered a full pot of their Yunnan. I didn’t remember trying it the last three times I’d ventured there. While not explicitly stated as being a Dian Hong, it had the earthy, and mid-astringent character of one. There was a bit of a nectarine nuance there, but not as much as a Yunnan Gold. Still, I enjoyed it quite immensely.

PS ~ It only took me ten minutes to down the (almost) 24oz pot. Make of that what you will.

Yet, another favorite of this illustrious brand!

Aroma: It’s exactly as the website describes it…spicy, sweet and leathery, very pleasant.

Taste: A duplicate of the aromas. Spicy, sweet and leathery [if one could taste leather…not off-putting at all!]. This tea is a juxtaposition of tastes, meaning, it is spicy, sweet and leathery simultaneously; complex yet linear and delicate. A fine tea to enjoy throughout the day…better for afternoon and early evening due to not much of a caffeine kick for a morning jolt. Yunnan teas have some body to them and yet they are not mouth filling or possess that “drying” effect or the tannins of other black teas. Very delicious teas, indeed!

Aftertaste: More of a lingering sweetness of raisins and burnt caramel [not charred tasting at all] and not cloying either. A little spicy as well but only intermingled, not prominent.

I like Yunnan teas because of it’s complex characteristics…spicy, sweet, delicate and yet it has some body and complexity to it.

A highly recommended tea to have in one’s collection! A must buy!

Boiling 8 min or more
Janefan

just fixed entry – tea name and company were switched :-)