Black Chai Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by LiberTEAS

• “Enjoying the last of this tea from *LiberTeas* (THANKYOU!) while I make an insane amount of bacon and prepare to put it both in my mouth, and on my tuna melt. We'll see if any makes it to the tuna...” Read full tasting note
    DaisyChubb 504 tasting notes
  • “Another tea sachet sample to try from Steven Smith... Eh I wasn't terribly impressed with this chai for some reason. I'm finding the assam tea base isn't really standing up to the spices and...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2463 tasting notes
  • “I decided to have a cup of this chai with my breakfast with a little stevia. It's a nice spicy one, & the only thing that would have made it better would have been some canned coconut milk, or...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3002 tasting notes
  • “Masala Chai hits you with gingery, ginger, ginger from the get-go. (It’s like all the ginger that was missing from Chai Diaries found its way in here. No complaints!) The dry bag has no hint of...” Read full tasting note
    SnootyTeaPerson 90 tasting notes

From Steven Smith Teamaker

To Indians, chai means sweetly spiced tea served with foamed milk. Ours combines second flush Assam teas with pungent ginger root, cassia, black pepper, cloves and cardamom to create a rich and spicy brew worthy of any chai wallah.

About Steven Smith Teamaker View company

Enjoying the last of this tea from LiberTeas (THANKYOU!) while I make an insane amount of bacon and prepare to put it both in my mouth, and on my tuna melt. We’ll see if any makes it to the tuna melt.

I digress! The perfect blend of spices, and it is spicy! Super peppery kick at the back of the throat, a great way to start the last day of this long weekend! Yummy in my tummy.

LiberTEAS

As I read this, I saw “chai” and bacon… and as my eyesight is not yet completely focused (still very tired) … my mind started reading BACON CHAI … which I think is a totally marvelous idea. Bacon Chai. Frank probably isn’t reading this… so I must inform him that a bacon chai would be a good idea. LOL

DaisyChubb

O: Bacon Chai! Heck, why not!? Spicy, smoky, bacony… how do we hail Frank? Is there a batman-style light we can shine in the sky? I guess email works too.. haha!

Helena

I’ve never tried bacon in my tea… although as everyone knows by now I love my meat :D How is bacon flavoured tea taste anyway?

DaisyChubb

Well 52 teas has a few bacon teas! I have a zillion packages of maple bacon (long story), so if we ever do a swap I’ll definitely send you some! Mostly it just tastes smoky and a little salty, and there are bacon bits in there for awesomeness.

I don’t know if I would trust another bacon blend that wasn’t 52teas – I trust Frank for all my bacon tea needs. haha!

Helena

I haven’t tried anything by Frank yet although I did order some Monkey Fart the banana honeybush blend. It’s supposed to be really good :D Although I like bacon I was worried about what a bacon tea would taste like… now I know I’ll have to hit Frank up for some when I get some money :D

Another tea sachet sample to try from Steven Smith…

Eh I wasn’t terribly impressed with this chai for some reason. I’m finding the assam tea base isn’t really standing up to the spices and the ginger root seems much stronger than the other spices in the tea. Better with soymilk and sugar but probably won’t go on my list of things to repurchase.

I decided to have a cup of this chai with my breakfast with a little stevia. It’s a nice spicy one, & the only thing that would have made it better would have been some canned coconut milk, or actually the cream off the top of a can of coconut milk, or maybe some french vanilla coconut creamer. Thanks to Tasty Brew for this sample!

Masala Chai hits you with gingery, ginger, ginger from the get-go. (It’s like all the ginger that was missing from Chai Diaries found its way in here. No complaints!) The dry bag has no hint of anything but the arid, zingy spices–you’d be surprised that there’s any black tea at all. Yet in the cup, all of that melts away, as the ginger is overtaken by clove and cinnamon, with peppercorn bouncing in the background. That ingredient is an unusual one for chai, adding just the barest touch of savory to an otherwise notoriously sweet tea. Mad points for originali-tea.

Once you start sipping, the immediate question is, “Where the hell did all the ginger go?”… Full review here: http://snooteablog.com/2013/07/16/snooty-tea-review-steven-smith-tea-round-1/

I am loving this chai… It is pleasantly spiced without being too spicy (now, I love a good, spicy chai too, but, sometimes it’s nice to have something this well-balanced). The Assam is the strongest player in this blend, and I like that. It is rich, malty and really a very hearty tea. YUM!

An amazingly balanced Chai Tea. The Ginger and peppercorn add just the right pop to the deliciously earthy Assam Tea. A

Ohmygoodness I forgot to review this!! Had it awhile back but I was on a conference call… and then had to dash out the door. Sorry TeaBrat, and after you were nice enough to send me a sample!
Anyhow, I am very particular about my chai and this one did not quite fit into my ideal. I remember trying to figure out why, and I think it was just a mix of spices that don’t appeal to me as much as others. There was a sweet note in there as well, that I found odd. Ginger perhaps?
Milk and a dash of sugar certainly helped of course. Overall, a pleasant cup!

TeaBrat

I just read my review of it and didn’t find it terribly impressive either. Stephen Smith seems to be very “hit or miss” for me.

Indigobloom

Same here (from the ones you sent me anyhow) but then I’ve found that with most tea companies I’ve dealt with. C’est la vie :)