No. 49 Assam FTGFOP1

Edit tea info Last updated by LiberTEAS

• “Damn you Terri! No orders until June! WANT! MOAR! NAO! Holy hannibel, i had this in the morning and let me tell you, i have a single normal person cup's worth left and it might just be...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4026 tasting notes
  • “*My 1000th Posting on Steepster!* I really felt that I had to pick something especially good to celebrate, but I've got about 300+ teas here now, & I love so many of them. I thought about going...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2475 tasting notes
  • “Okay, I decided to try it again this morning at 3 minutes 30 seconds… it is a delightful assam. Malty and very rich, an excellent breakfast tea. There is something floral about it, but the finish...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2160 tasting notes
  • “I'm finishing off the last that I had of this tea in my stash, it is one that will be missed. One of the nicest Assam teas I've had. Lovely, rich, malty ... caramel-y. YUMMMM!” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4219 tasting notes

From Steven Smith Teamaker

The legendary breakfast tea from the upper Assam valley of India. Full-flavored, rich and chewy with notes of caramel and malt, this tea is bright and coppery in the cup and makes a great wake-up any time of day.

About Steven Smith Teamaker View company

Holy cats. This is one awesome Assam. Caramely and malty. Yeah, this will have to be purchased. The question will be if I can wait until going there in person next May/June or if I will have to order it before then. :)

Thanks for sharing, Sil!

YAAAAAY!!! so glad you like this and now you know why brahim is “good” but not AS good… haha

Oh, yes. :)

TeaBrat

That’s what I had this morning also. ;)

It’s bitter and I don’t want to drown it in milk and sugar. Tried diff parameters. At Steven Smith the lady suggested to make it 12 oz water 1tsp 5min steep. Bitterness decreased but it was kinda diluted not enough flavor. I prefer H&S Nahorhabi Full leaf Assam

Terri HarpLady

I don’t know what’s going on with this tea. I used to love it so much. After my last drinking of it, I did notice a lot of tea powder in the bottom of my cup, that had managed to slip through the finum basket. So I’m thinking that powder sat in my cup & continued sleeping, resulting in a bitter brew. That’s my theory.

boychik

Mine is fresh and nowhere near the bottom, no powder. I also noticed that H&S has much more golden tips and smells soo sweet

ifjuly

i tried this one finally recently too, boychik, hoping it’d be awesome because it was so popular here and was disappointed. not terrible or anything, but nothing to write home about. and my experience with the brisk SSTs is that the recommended 5 minutes is way too long (i almost always am fine with recommended info and they’re a rare exception for me).

Nicole

Hm. I’ve liked the batch I got on BF. I haven’t tried it side by side with Nahorhabi though.

This is another one of those things I have been holding on to forever, but I wanted something robust and tasty to have at midnight so I didn’t fall asleep on my paper. Surprisingly this was REALLY good despite being old and in a zippered plastic bag.

So. Much. Caramel. Very malty too but in that ice cream malt kind of way. I noticed Whole Foods has some Stephen Smith tea, but in sachets, but I think I may have to try more anyway and that’s an easy way!

TastyBrew to the rescue!
it’s an Assamalanche!
capital A.
big and bright and i can even taste the caramel notes. malty on the nose for sure.
big personality. a strutter.

happy sigh steven wins over another lady with his 49..

TeaBrat

I might need to pay them a visit when I go to Portland.

Ah, yes, another convert to #49 :D

Nicole

Yeah, the reasons to go to Portland next year just keep adding up… :)

Thanks, Sil, for this sample! I kept resteeping this at work today. It has a sweet, full-bodied fruity flavor with a spicy knock in the aftertaste. I could see how this one could get addicting.

Another sample from Anne from LiberTeas (still working my way through this box).

I’ll start off by saying that I chose this tea because I needed something to really get me motivated to get my cleaning for the day done. I’m on vacation from work and wanted to really enjoy the rest of the week in a nice clean apartment. The only problem – I woke up this morning feeling extremely lazy…so I brewed up a nice hot cup of this black tea for a little inspiration as I sat lazily watching TV.

That’s where things get kind of crazy. I ended up spilling the entire fresh cup all over the coffee table. After hastily throwing everything on the floor to avoid the tea flood that was coming its way and wiping up most of the liquid, I looked down into my now empty mug of inspiration. Boo. Good thing I saved the leaves…I’ll just resteep it. Put some hot water in my mug, dropped the tea ball in, grabbed more rags and some cleaner and started cleaning the rest of the mess up. After getting the table wiped down and everything back in its place, I noticed some of the tea had spilt on the carpet so I got my carpet cleaner and started cleaning that up too.

Ah…nice clean coffee table. Okay. Now I’m cleaning and the coffee table looks so good…better just continue on so into the dining room I went. After cleaning up in there I was really going so I decided to continue onto kitchen.

There it was. My second steeping cup of tea…with the teaball still in it. Yup. Definitely oversteeped this one.

So long story short, I ruined both cups of tea and didn’t even get to enjoy any of it. Not even a good sip. BUT – I did however get all of my cleaning done for the day which was exactly what I was hoping from the tea this morning. So in a way I guess this tea did do exactly what I was hoping for. I just wish I’d have been able to enjoy a little of it.

Time to dump the leaves and try again….wish me luck! (I’ll have to reserve my rating until I actually taste it)

This is the perfect black tea. With just a dash of 1% milk, it tastes creamy and rich. It goes perfect with breakfast. Yum!

Thanks to boychik for the sample! Brewed it western style. First steep was with water just off the boil for 3 minutes. I prefer my teas plain without milk or sweetener. This steep was bitter but not entirely unpleasant, with some sweetness and fruitiness (as best as my palate can make out) as the cup cooled. I tried the next two steeps at 195F (3:30 and 5:00 minutes) and enjoyed them more since the bitterness was gone and the sweet/fruit aspect was more pronounced. Next time I will try 195F for the first steep to see if it reduces or eliminates the bitterness there as well. Overall a very nice Assam, more complex than the one in my cupboard from Upton.

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

Welcome back!

TeaExplorer

Thank you! I actually went for a couple of weeks without steeping any of my teas. Just mediocre coffee from drive-thru places while on the run (gah!). It’s good to be back in my office with my tea table next to my laptop. It feels … civilized =:-D

boychik

its amazing how we can appreciate some small things normally we dont pay attention to

TeaExplorer

You got that right! I had been taking the luxury of my tea drinking habit for granted. Now that I’m back, however, I feel a profound sense of joy :)

Terri HarpLady

Yeah, glad to have you back! :)

The malt and caramel flavors of this tea were more subtle than I was hoping for.

Brewed loose in a 17 oz porcelain teapot.