Ceylon Black Tea
Brown Sugar, Caramel, Flowers, Honey, Leather, Malt, Orange, Spices, Sweet Potatoes, Toast, Tobacco, Walnut, Citrus, Raisins, Apricot, Astringent, Molasses, Tea
Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Teatotaler

3 Images

From Steven Smith Teamaker

Named after one of the most beautiful cities in Sri Lanka, Kandy brings together full and flavory Dimbulla with highly aromatic and intense Uva and lightly scented high-grown Nuwara Eliya. A tea made for sipping with pleasure all day.

About Steven Smith Teamaker View company

Full-flavoured, nice colour. My wife, being a big Ceylon fan liked it better than I did, though it was pleasant enough. Well rounded, classically astringent and very drinkable.

An interesting mix of Dimbulla, Uva, and Nuwara Eliya black teas, this is a versatile, flavorful blend that I could see going over well with those who enjoy teas that are lighter in body. I brewed this one a couple ways. I first prepared this tea using a one step Western infusion. I then made a big jug of iced tea with this blend using a very simple overnight infusion in the refrigerator.

In the glass, the infused liquor showed a dark amber. Aromas of honey, malt, toast, flowers, orange, molasses, and sweet potato were heavy on the nose. In the mouth, I picked up notes of spice, honey, malt, toast, brown sugar, caramel, tobacco, leather, molasses, sweet potato, orange, flowers, and walnut. The finish offered notes of sweet potato, brown sugar, molasses, orange, leather, and spice before displaying a touch of astringency on the fade. Cold steeping this blend resulted in a lighter golden liquor that offered less spice, nut, and leather and more honey, malt, flowers, and orange.

Overall, I rather enjoyed this blend, but I do not think that I will rush to reacquire it. The more Ceylon black teas I drink, the more I am finding that no matter how much I enjoy the flavor, I really do not care for the astringency and the lack of body. You see, to me, so many Ceylon black teas, and especially blends, seem so slight in terms of body. I can certainly say that I found that to be true of this blend as well. And it is not just me. As at least one other reviewer has noted, this blend does not seem to have much of a body; it is very light in the mouth. In my mind, the light body undercuts the complexity of flavor in such a way as to make this tea seem lacking in depth. So, while I wouldn’t go out of my way to avoid this blend and think that the type of people who generally enjoy Ceylon teas might very well appreciate it, I doubt that I will push myself to spend much more time with it.

[To be clear, I think this blend is pretty good for what it is. It just really isn’t my thing.]

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Caramel, Flowers, Honey, Leather, Malt, Orange, Spices, Sweet Potatoes, Toast, Tobacco, Walnut

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

The best black tea I have ever tasted! Do use boiling water, as the directions suggest - the flavor is radically different (and not as good) if the water isn’t boiling when steeping begins.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Thanks so much scribbles for this sample in our last swap! I like Ceylon tea, and this is a great blend. Through the tea pyramid you can still get a great sense of honey, malt and citrus. I highly recommend following the directions exactly.

Actual review here:

Flavors: Citrus, Honey, Malt, Raisins

This was a bonus sample from scribbles. Mine is in sachet form. The leaves inside are black and somewhat thin, and surprisingly not very broken. Dry scent is sweet and malty with hay and molasses notes. I let my sachet steep in 8 ounces of 200 degree water for 3 minutes. The string escaped into the cup, harumph!

This one is pretty “meh” in my opinion… The main flavor of it is generic black tea, and I don’t know how else to describe that. It’s somewhat malty and quite astringent, especially as it cools. There is a bottom note of molasses-like richness, and a touch of dried apricot-like fruitiness, and these help to balance it a bit. Still not very impressive for me.

Flavors: Apricot, Astringent, Malt, Molasses, Tea

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

Oh cruel alarm! Dragging this poor body into wakefulness. I do not approve!
So much to do today, I’ll be moving quite briskly through the day.
A serious tea, is therefore required, to drink this.
Kandy is a strong black, but not an obnoxious black. Good and strong, but subtle and easy to drink as well. I approve.