Herbal Tea
Chamomile, Lemon Myrtle, Rooibos, Rose Petals, Safflower
Cream, Floral, Herbs, Lemon, Malt, Mint, Rose, Straw, Toast, Wood, Flowers, Smooth, Thick, Sour, Lemon Zest
Loose Leaf, Sachet
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by jump62359

From Steven Smith Teamaker

A caffeine free blend of plump, golden chamomile flowers from Egypt and mildly stimulating fragrant hyssop, a flavourful herb said to improve one’s focus. Add the smooth taste of Cape rooibos, a bit of lemon myrtle, rose petals and linden flowers, and you may want a sun hat.

About Steven Smith Teamaker View company

My favorite chamomile to crown off my day. A contented sigh.

keychange

I wish I liked chamomile. it’s in like every relaxing tea ever.

Sipdown!
Tea. Good.

Roommate wanted to use her coupon for a free drink at Starbucks so I just ordered hot water and this was the only caffeine-free tea I had with me haha.
Beating the system aww yiss :)

((Look at previous notes for the actual tasting note bit of this. Grande sized hot water, drank it all the way back home. Decided to roll out my yoga mat and sleep on the living room floor as my roommates watched tv. Oh it was great.))

VariaTEA

Hahaha. “Tea. Good.” Straight to the point…I like it.

jump62359

I seriously wrote this a couple hours ago and today has been EXHAUSTING. I was like half asleep when I typed it up.
Oh well, I’ve had this tea before so I have better tasting notes than this one hhaha

VariaTEA

Well not every note needs to be elaborate of course. I quite enjoyed reading this one.

I got this sample from one of my Steven Smith orders. Ever since I got the electric tea kettle I have been drinking tea like mad as long as I’m at home. I guess that’s okay, it’s fun to have a new toy to play with, right?

This isn’t much to write home about for me… chamomile is something I drink when I have a stomachache or I can’t sleep but I’ve never been drawn to the flavor of it much. The blend does have a nice flowery taste and a bit of lemon which is nice. As far as herbals go, I guess I am more of a ginger, lemongrass or tulsi type of person but this is nice to wind down with and seems very soothing.

MissB

Electric tea kettles are the best! Well, any tea toy, really. :)

1942 tasting notes

Tail ends of samples tend to be a little lopsided…lots of dust and whatever the “small” ingredient is; not as much of the big, good lumpy things that tend to give a blend its flavor. Definitely the case here; whole and new, it’s a nice, slightly fruity herbal, but this last cup tasted more like dandelions and that’s about it.

Oh, well.

Steep Information:
Amount: 4 tsp
Water: ~500ml filtered, 212°
Tool: Breville One-Touch Tea Maker BTM800XL (Herbal, Strong)
Steep Time: 5 minutes
Served: Hot

Tasting Notes:
Dry Leaf Smell: chamomile, mint, floral
Steeped Tea Smell: rooibos
Flavor: delicate chamomile, rooibos and a hint of lemon
Body: Light
Aftertaste: vegetal, astringent
Liquor: translucent orange-brown

Chamomile overpowers everything in this tea, it’s not a bad tea, I am just finding it to be too boring for me. There is a hint of lemon and rooibos, but where are the other flavors?

Images: http://amazonv.blogspot.com/2010/05/steven-smith-teamaker-loose-leaf-herbal.html

Rabs

Aww…so disappointed :(

AmazonV

yes it’s sad :( but dont’ get me wrong, it’s a very delicious chamomile with hints of other things (minty lemon) but…i has to smack it down for disappointment (ingredients versus flavors i could find)

T&C Box 4/18

I like the packaging on this one—the wrapper is attractive and easy to read, and the instructions are adorable: “steep 5 minutes while pretending you’re Van Gogh painting in Arles.” Don’t mind if I do!

I don’t know how I feel about this one. There’s a lot of chamomile, but as it cools the other flavors become more obvious. There’s definitely a floral note and a citrus note, as well as a very slight rooibos taste. Chamomile can be too much in blends, but this one isn’t bad.

ETA: As this cooled down it got much better. The chamomile is less overpowering when it’s cool, and the citrusy and floral flavors are more present. I think this would be good iced!

carol who

I’m glad you included the notes about it as it cooled. Sounds like a creative company: “steep 5 minutes while pretending you’re Van Gogh painting in Arles.” LOL

bluebelle

With chamomiles I’ve found if I want to taste anything else I really have to let it cool! Luckily I gave it the chance to.

There are two other bags from this company in the box, and both are equally creative. Their EG says to steep while contemplating the Earl’s affair with the Duchess of Devonshire. ;)

I’m wondering if this blend has changed over the past few years based on reviews. For me: it was an unusually nice cup of camomile. I don’t normally love that herbal, but the other herbs in this balanced it well. It was also really pretty steeping: several flowers that expanded to fill the teabag.

I’m backlogging just a bit with this one. I received a free sample of this tisane back in July and drank it three nights ago when I needed a sleep aid. I then promptly forgot about it. Since I have a little time, however, I figured I would go ahead and post a formal rating and review.

I prepared this tea using a one step Western infusion. I steeped the silken sachet (approximately 1 teaspoon of material or so I’m guessing) in 8 ounces of 212 F water for 5 minutes. As usual, I did not attempt a second infusion.

First off, I have to say that this smelled absolutely wonderful. Floral, herbal, straw-like aromas from the chamomile blossoms mingled with zesty, lemony hyssop, woody, floral linden blossoms, rose, and a mild toastiness and woodiness from the rooibos. In the mouth, I noted dominant notes of hyssop, linden, and chamomile. I also noted subtle notes of toast, malt, and cream undoubtedly provided by the rooibos, though I failed to note any rose presence. The aftertaste was very lemony, floral, and minty, perpetuating the dominance of the hyssop, chamomile, and linden in this blend.

I’m kind of torn on this one. I love the way it smelled, and the combination of herbs and flowers used was rather novel to say the least. Still, I found it to be rather unbalanced in the mouth. There was way too much chamomile, hyssop, and linden for my taste. If the individual presences of the rooibos and rose petals were a bit more pronounced, I may have liked this blend considerably more. As is, however, I found this to be just decent and nothing more.

Flavors: Cream, Floral, Herbs, Lemon, Malt, Mint, Rose, Straw, Toast, Wood

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Daylon R Thomas

Have you tried it with honey?

eastkyteaguy

Daylon, I have not had the opportunity to try this with honey. I just had the one sample sachet.

Evol Ving Ness

This sounds like something I might like. I will keep it in mind for future.

eastkyteaguy

Evol, I found it to be a more or less okay tisane. I will say, however, that I am serious when I claim that the smell is wonderful. The rose petals, hyssop, lemon myrtle, and linden really give this tisane some depth on the nose. I think there may be some kind of natural flavoring in this one too (they do list natural flavors in the ingredient list on their website), but it is not obvious. Even though this is not my favorite of theirs, Steven Smith Teamaker produces some excellent tisanes. Their No. 45 Peppermint Leaves may be the best peppermint tea I have tried to this point. I even like their hibiscus teas and their straight chamomile, which is saying something as I am normally indifferent to chamomile and openly hostile to hibiscus.

Evol Ving Ness

A wonderful smell accounts for a lot. One of my very favourite tisanes is this one: http://www.mightyleaf.com/loose-tea/chamomile-citrus-loose.html

Isn’t that interesting! Peppermint is near the bottom in terms of herbals that I reach for. Or non-herbals, for that matter. There are a few minty teas that I like, but they are rarities.

On the other hand, send me all the hibiscus! Not only do I like it, but recently my naturopath has suggested that I include a cup or two in my day. Each day. So not only do I like it, but I have been actively seeking it out. I’ve been purchasing straight up organic hibiscus and blends with rose hips, but now I am looking for good blends with hibiscus so that I can change things up.

I will take a look at what they offer. There is no mention of whether they ship to Canada though, or I haven’t come across it, or what their shipping costs might be. Always a factor when dealing with American companies, especially now that our dollar is suffering so.

If they do ship here, Black Friday is coming soon. :)

Daylon R Thomas

I second the smell. Honey was able to diffuse the herby taste of the tea with sweetness.

Evol Ving Ness

How would you rate this one, Daylon?

Daylon R Thomas

I think I did rate it, though mine now is totally different. Between a 70-75. It’s a solid tea for calming you down with good ingredients, and with the added bonus of the bag having whole chamomile flowers and rose petals. You can brew it at least twice, and the only criticism is the price. In U.S. dollars, the average I’m seeing is over $12 bucks for 15 bags. The taste is closer to a 75-80, but because of the price, you could get more of the same quality herbal for cheaper.

Not bad on its own, but even better with honey. I’m personally iffy with chamomile. Since this has a few whole flowers in it, I’m inclined to like it. Chamomile really isn’t hard to mess up anyway as an herbal, but to me, the taste from a whole flower is fuller and thicker. I get that stronger body sensation here. Chamomile, lemon, and the subtler florals dominate with the rose and rooibos more in the background. The rooibos is the herb providing a lot of the tea’s body and color, but it is so similar to the chamomile that it’s hard to notice.

I’d honestly recommend a try and to drink this after long steeps and portions of honey. One of my friends might like this blend for how mellow it is. My mother likes it for this reason herself. Meadow is a name that certainly fits this floral nectar.

Flavors: Flowers, Herbs, Lemon, Smooth, Thick