Orchid Oolong

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by JacquelineM

From T Bar

An exceptional oolong infused with the aroma and oils of fresh orchids. A crisp, light taste with an intoxicating aroma and beautiful liqueur.

About T Bar View company

My first steep of this was “Hey, this is a pretty good green-ish oolong, but not anything I haven’t tasted before. Hellllllooooo Orchid?”

My second steep is redolent of the finest vanilla extract. I say extract because there is a particular boozy, intoxicating quality to this flavor. It’s floral, and delightful and downright lavish! I actually stopped what I was doing and said, “Oooh!”

I just have a teeny ounce of this from my birthday gift certificate from this now defunct shop, but I am definitely searching for another orchid oolong to keep in my cupboard, because woah – this is fantastic and so up my alley!

Have you had an Orchid Oolong you’re crazy about? Do tell! I’m in the market!

Haven’t ventured into orchid oolongs yet, but my favorite oolong, Spring Dragon, is super-floral — like a big armful of lilacs!

LadyL – went pawing through your cupboard and saw it is from Upton. Sounds FANTASTIC and I def want to put it in my next order from them. Mmmmmm lilacs.

Same here! I am getting more into oolongs and want to place an Upton order anyway, so I think I will put this one on my list as well. I still want that tea scale!

E Alexander Gerster

I haven’t tried the Upton Oolongs yet, but the best Orchid Oolong I have ever tasted came from The Art of Tea: http://www.artoftea.com/catalog/orchid-oolong-p-75.html
They also have some great sample packs, including their Oolong sampler which includes their award winning Mandarin Silk Oolong. :)
The second and third steeps often bring out the most intense flavors of these lush and naturally sweet teas.

Any tea that’s redolent of anything has to be good! A thousand points for the vocabulary word and Happy Friday!

@E Alexander Gerster – I looked at that sampler. It looks like a must have! Thank you for recommending!

honestly….if you get the chance…Republic of tea has an orchid oolong that is actually quite good…I get it every year as a gift to one friend of mine who swoons every time they open it….its clean, creamy, passionately orchid floral, and is lightly oxidized….give it a shot…I’ve made ice cream and sorbet from it and it was amazing against pears when I poached them in a simple syrup make from it..

E Alexander Gerster – I’ve been meaning to order from them for forever and a day! This will most likely push me over the edge, as I’m still thinking about that orchid oolong a full day later!

Kaashyap – thanks for the rec! I’ve never seen it in any of the stores so I looked it up online – all of their Imperial Republic teas look intriguing! That Snow Rose…!

Get thee to Shang Tea and try their Clear Jade Orchid Oolong. (or something) I really really loved that one.

Thanks Angrboda – I will look that one up!

2059 tasting notes

This is a gift from the lovely JacquelineM!

I was really eager to try this tea way back when I first read Jacqueline’s tasting note on it. I never dreamed she was going to send me some of that precious final ounce!

I made this in my eight ounce glass pot. I washed the leaves for about 20 seconds or a shade less, then steeped for two minutes. I set the pot on the tea table as I went to the kitchen to get something, and when I came back there was a light, lovely floral fragrance to greet me! The liquor is pale gold to medium gold. The aroma is lightly creamy/ buttery with a very, very slight nutty note if you really look for it, instead of the really roasty/smokey flavors you find in the darker oolongs. But mostly this is a lovely floral escape!

Thank you so much for sharing this, Jacqueline!