Kawakawa Fire

Herbal Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Miss Sweet

• “I received a bit of this from *TeaEqualsBliss* - thanks!!! I have never tasted kawakawa before. But from what I understand (a little internet research) it has a rather peppery taste. When paired...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4423 tasting notes
  • “Another Miss Sweet Tea! :) She spoiled me! This is the first time I have ever had Kawakawa...the leaves are HUGE. The Ginger and Lemongrass are mingled well throughout. I honestly didn't...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “I bought this sample over a month ago but it has been sitting in my cabinet after the feijoa scare. I found som courage this am and brewed it. The kawakawa is very large leafed and peppery, the...” Read full tasting note
    sandragon 61 tasting notes
  • “My preferred method of beating back a cold or that run-down feeling. Kawakawa is a traditional medicinal/magical plant, used by Maori to cure almost anything. Unfortunately it doesn't taste that...” Read full tasting note
    amber 221 tasting notes

From t Leaf T

Native NZ Kawakawa blended with warming lemongrass and ginger. Takes sweetener well and is great iced.

About t Leaf T View company

I received a bit of this from TeaEqualsBliss – thanks!!!

I have never tasted kawakawa before. But from what I understand (a little internet research) it has a rather peppery taste. When paired with ginger, wowza! This is one warm tea!

This is appropriately named. The ginger is very warm, the Kawakawa contributes some of that pepper taste too. It’s like a burst of pepper when the tea hits the back of the palate – but in a really good way. The lemongrass adds a little sweet-tart smoothness to it.

It’s different, but I like it.

Boiling 8 min or more

Another Miss Sweet Tea! :)
She spoiled me!

This is the first time I have ever had Kawakawa…the leaves are HUGE. The Ginger and Lemongrass are mingled well throughout.

I honestly didn’t know what I would think of this…because some ginger teas and tisanes freak me out sometimes but this one is quite pleasant. Thanks to the lemon grass, perhaps?

Either way…I was pleasantly surprised and so happy I go to try this one!

You can taste all 3 main ingredients but none too overpowering, thankfully!

Not too shabby! :)

I bought this sample over a month ago but it has been sitting in my cabinet after the feijoa scare. I found som courage this am and brewed it. The kawakawa is very large leafed and peppery, the only other elements in the tea are lemon grass stalks and dried ginger. I am glad I finally tried it because I really like it. There is a heat and a sweetness to it that are similar to a chai. I can imagine that with a little honey this would be one of my favorite teas when I had a cold. I think it will also work for the times I want something like a chai but don’t want the caffiene.

ashmanra

Sounds wonderful! Only a sample, huh? Perhaps you should buy another sample so we can drink it together when you come home in 6 weeks! :) Is it peppery like a yunnan?

My preferred method of beating back a cold or that run-down feeling. Kawakawa is a traditional medicinal/magical plant, used by Maori to cure almost anything. Unfortunately it doesn’t taste that great on its own, so its a perfect match with the lemongrass and ginger – which mask the bitter flavour without removing the benefits. I find this has just the right amount of zing, and is extra delicious with a spoonful of honey!

Jillian

That’s really interesting. It’s amazing how much plant lore we’ve forgotten since we started depending on antibiotics and other manufactured medicines.

A dear friend (who might as well be my sister) sent me a little tin of this for Christmas, and I’ve been trying to ration it because it’s indispensible during cold season – and really any time I’m feeling less than stellar. The combination of ginger and kawakawa is lovely – it’s spicy and warm, and the lemongrass keeps it from being “too much”.

200 °F / 93 °C 8 min or more