T2 Matcha

Green Matcha Blend
Earth
Edit tea info Last updated by nathanisamazing

• “After a wonderful thin tea ceremony at Untitled in MONA’s Red Queen exhibition this morning, I was in the mood for matcha! A warm day today meant a refreshing matcha milkshake. Man I love...” Read full tasting note
    memily 815 tasting notes
  • “Matcha is my absolute favourite! I love it as a milkshake with vanilla soy and honey (my absolute favourite). I love it as a latte. I love it straight up! Depending on how I make this will depend...” Read full tasting note
    cccarly 11 tasting notes
  • “I am complete matcha freak! so when I stumbled upon my favourite tea companies version, I was there in a flash. it looked so good that is was completely worth the (expensive) price. ( 24 dollars...” Read full tasting note
    YellowMe 1 tasting notes
  • “The first matcha I ever tried served traditionally, as a whisked usucha (thin tea), and which, following some experimenting, I found I quite liked. Beware: do NOT follow...” Read full tasting note
    dratcat 3 tasting notes

From T2

Matcha is a fine, powdered Green Tea traditionally used in the Japanese Tea Ceremony. It is highly valued for its sharp bite followed by lingering sweetness. High in antioxidants, chlorophyll and fibre.

About T2 View company

After a wonderful thin tea ceremony at Untitled in MONA’s Red Queen exhibition this morning, I was in the mood for matcha! A warm day today meant a refreshing matcha milkshake. Man I love those things.

175 °F / 79 °C 1 tsp 17 OZ / 500 ML

Matcha is my absolute favourite! I love it as a milkshake with vanilla soy and honey (my absolute favourite). I love it as a latte. I love it straight up! Depending on how I make this will depend on how much matcha I use. When I’m having it straight I do not use much at all! I find if you use too much it becomes quite bitter and overpowering. However, if I am making it as a latte or milkshake I do tend to use a bigger scoop. I think that ratio is very important when making up matcha and I highly recommend using the traditional whisk and matcha bowl. So many people ask me if they can use a spoon…no! please don’t. Matcha comes in different grades so each company will taste a bit different. T2 use a ceremonial grade. Additionally, matcha can be used in smoothies, baking, cooking….I even use it in a face mask! It’s basically the best.

Flavors: Earth

175 °F / 79 °C

I am complete matcha freak! so when I stumbled upon my favourite tea companies version, I was there in a flash. it looked so good that is was completely worth the (expensive) price. ( 24 dollars for 30 grams). But now I must say, I am not regretting a single dollar! I cannot wait to get more.

The first matcha I ever tried served traditionally, as a whisked usucha (thin tea), and which, following some experimenting, I found I quite liked. Beware: do NOT follow T2’s preparation instructions. It uses about HALF the amount of matcha to water than is recommended by most Japanese sources that I have found (1 flat measured teaspoon to 150 mLs water – this is too much water). I recommend Marukyu-Koyamaen’s instructions for matcha here, http://www.marukyu-koyamaen.co.jp/english/enjoy/maccha.html, which suggest 1 flat measured teaspoon of matcha to 70mLs water.

Once I started using MK’s preparation instructions, I found that I enjoyed my matcha more. T2’s recipe makes for a VERY thin matcha, which was not as enjoyable, and in fact I found that the matcha tasted more bitter (less matcha + more hot water = higher likelihood of overbrewing and therefore more bitter flavours?). That said, once I found a recipe I liked, I found that I quite enjoyed this matcha. It has a very mild sweetness, and once I gained experience with my whisking technique, something approaching almost a creamy mouthfeel. I do have the feeling, however, that T2’s matcha is not quite koicha (thick tea) quality. As I try other matcha and learn more about the preparation, I’m sure I’ll review this one again. At any rate, it was a good introduction for me to the wonders of matcha, and a good reminder to always experiment in order to find what you like!

170 °F / 76 °C

Actually kinda works in yoghurt…

You can’t ever go wrong with Matcha. I’ve been to Japan and had the matcha there and this tea takes me back there every time I have it. Even better when you have the bamboo whisk to froth it up traditionally. It can go to the bitter side very easily so watch out!