Milky Oolong

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by tina

• “another tea from *Alice* and i'm glad our sentiments are of the same mind. I am not overly a fan of green oolongs, but i continue to try them to see if there are any that will change my mind. I...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4041 tasting notes
  • “I am now in Melbourne! The first thing I did here was, of course, checking out the T2 shop nearby! I bought a box of Melbourne Breakfast and wanted to purchase a pack of Milky Oolong as well. I...” Read full tasting note
    larukucafe 299 tasting notes
  • “I've been interested in trying a milk oolong for a while. My understanding is that the famed milk oolong is made only from a particular cultivar of tea and the milky/creamy flavour comes from the...” Read full tasting note
    genushumanusalice 53 tasting notes
  • “This is a truly beautiful Oolong - it tastes creamy and indulgent while being very light. The aroma reminds me of a light caramel and is very strong - you will find it will make your whole room...” Read full tasting note
    Winter 37 tasting notes

From T2

Silky smooth and voluptuously velvety, this debonair drop has all the smooth buttery goodness of an oolong base with a slick creamy aftertaste. Daring yet sublime, the sweet sensation of milk blankets the mouth and elicits the cry of ‘moo-long’!

About T2 View company

another tea from Alice and i’m glad our sentiments are of the same mind. I am not overly a fan of green oolongs, but i continue to try them to see if there are any that will change my mind. I have tried a large number of milky oolongs, with Mandala being one of my favourites.
This though? it’s different from most milky oolongs. Alice’s notes indicate that it’s flavoured so I’m going to hazard a guess that’s why. all milky oolongs i’ve had previously were unflavoured. over all this isn’t bad, but there’s a little too much in the way of “green oolong” and not enough delicious creamy milky oolong for me to really get behind it. I’ll likely have another cup of this and share the rest with one of the tea girls who prefers green teas :)

alice

I quite like green oolongs too but this really wasn’t my cup of tea. Apparently it is one of T2’s most popular oolongs which I find kind of surprising.

I am now in Melbourne! The first thing I did here was, of course, checking out the T2 shop nearby! I bought a box of Melbourne Breakfast and wanted to purchase a pack of Milky Oolong as well. I could not make up my mind because I was dying to try milk oolong but T2’s milky oolong is pretty expensive. In the end, I asked the cute guy at the counter if I could try the tea. I thought he would give me a small sample to taste right away but instead he gave me a generously-sized sample to take home! I was pleasantly surprised indeed!

Ok long story short… so how was my first encounter with milk oolong? I don’t know how much this tea tastes like the “typical” milk oolong, but anyway I enjoyed it. :) It’s amazing that a tea can be light yet milky at the same time! It’s not really very milky (the ignorant me was actually expecting a “cloudy” tea but it was nothing like that), yet the creaminess and softness unique to this tea was unmissable. I love the slightly sweet, milk-tea like aftertaste! The weather is crummy today but this tea has brightened the day :)

I think I am going to buy it this Sunday!

Ashley Bain

I just tried my first milk oolong not too long ago, it was so interesting how it was clear yet milky creamy; you do expect a cloudiness. If I didn’t look at it while I was drinking it, I’d swear I was drinking a tea latte.

Devilish

Yup isn’t that fascinating? I look forward to trying the milk oolong of other brands!

I’ve been interested in trying a milk oolong for a while. My understanding is that the famed milk oolong is made only from a particular cultivar of tea and the milky/creamy flavour comes from the leaves. On closer inspection milk oolong this is not. Well maybe it is made from the milk oolong cultivar, I have no way of knowing but I do know it is a flavoured Oolong, the ingredients on the package make that clear enough. Flavoured with what though? I assume (happy to be proven wrong) that it is artificial flavouring as T2 will generally list the names of natural flavourings on their packages rather than use a vague term like “flavour”…

The taste? I can taste oolong in the background and some kind of sweet caramel flavour which is quite strong. It is nice enough but I can’t help but think that a darker oolong would bring more richness to whatever the added flavour is. A nice departure from caramel/vanilla flavoured black teas that are everywhere but the caramel/vanilla taste left in the mouth is exactly the same as these inexpensive flavoured black teas. I think most people would enjoy this tea even if they don’t like oolong but at the same time much better quality oolongs can be had for the same price or less. I guess I’m a little bitter because I think the naming of this tea is a bit deceptive, perhaps Creamy Oolong would have been better…

TheSurfinSipper

My thoughts entirely Alice! A ‘real’ Milky Oolong is hard to find (and T2 certainly doesn’t deliver the goods). At least, however, they are honest enough to list ‘flavoring’ on the ingredients, unlike many Chinese producers/distributors. You could try the Jin Xuan (pinyin for Milk Oolong) from Tea & Sympathy: http://teaandsympathy.com.au/collections/oolong-teas/products/jin-xuan-milk-oolong I wouldn’t say it is THE most delicious Milk Oolong I have ever tried (but then again I can’t even be sure that the ones that have topped it most in China were free from additives themselves), but it is pretty ‘true to type’ with a few interesting characteristics of it’s own. Not cheap mind you… I’ll post a review soon.

alice

Thanks for the links TheSurfinSipper. I just bought a bunch of new teas but will add jin xuan from tea and sympathy to my wish list :)

TheSurfinSipper

No problemo, I’ll let you know if I come across any other good ones in the meantime. A good jin xuan is a tea worth getting to know!

alice

I noticed teavivre have two, one flavoured and one unflavoured at good prices but I’ve never purchased from them before. They seem to have good review on here though.

I’m in a pickle at the moment. I moved to perth and didn’t bring much tea, not realising how long postage to Perth takes so now I have a large amount to tea in the post but absolutely none on my shelf. It is so tempting to order more but once it arrives I’ll have too much haha.

TheSurfinSipper

Too much tea? No such thing! Welcome to Perth btw!

This is a truly beautiful Oolong – it tastes creamy and indulgent while being very light. The aroma reminds me of a light caramel and is very strong – you will find it will make your whole room smell of caramel which I love. The tea itself is closer to black than green, there is no hint to ‘gassiness’ whatsoever and has a satisfyingly medium strength flavour to it. It will provide you with a nice milky/ caramel aftertaste.

Great before bed, very calming and relaxing like velvet caramel in a cup. Makes for a beautiful desert tea without being overpowering.

You can re-use the leaves up to three times by increasing the brewing time by a minute teach time. By the third re-use you’ll find the beautiful aroma has faded but the taste is still divine.

Delicious. Not exactly what i would call the most affordable tea by T2, But it definitely is good. This is one of my favourite oolongs by T2 (Oolong berry is my absolute favourite tea from T2). This tea is very light (in terms of the oolong) and has a very subtle creaminess to it. usually i like my creamy teas to be super creamy, but this its delicious even though the creaminess is definitely understated.

175 °F / 79 °C