Alishan Mi Xian Black Tea, Lot 229

Edit tea info Last updated by Dinosara

From Taiwan Tea Crafts

One of the advantages we have when going into the mountains to look for teas is that we are always ready to consider smaller lots that may be overlooked by many bigger buyers. This is one of them. So, I’ll emphasize again, it’s in very limited supply (and, please buy some before we drink it all!). This is so good! Imagine the fruitiness of a Taiwanese Black Tea morphed with the exuberance and generous aromatics of High Mountain Oolongs and you will have an idea of the quality of the experience this tea delivers. It has a nice citrusy attack that develops into deeper notes of stone fruit compote with an envelope of wild honey smoothness and complexity. The ending notes are all velvety and long-lasting. The depth of the flavours and generosity in the aromas tells us we are in the presence of a superior tea. It’s beautifully crafted twisted leaves reveal even and near perfect picking of Cing Xin. A few (bug) bite marks here and there will give off that this is a Mi Xian tea (Mi Xian means honey aroma). Mi Xian teas are part of this uniquely Taiwanese list of “Beauty” teas that receive the unique contribution of small leaf hoppers that are partly responsible for the honey flavour and thickness of these special teas. To be experienced!

About Taiwan Tea Crafts View company

Had a couple delicious cups of this with dinner – staring at the fire, watching the sunset over the lake. Glorious!

Starting the morning with this one, from a tea order Sil & I shared awhile back.
Such a wonderful sweet mouth thickening cup! I still haven’t tried this one gongfu.

I’m trying to get motivated, because one of my college students has her Senior Recital Hearing today at 12:30. She’ll play the recital for myself & 3 other faculty members. There are forms for their comments, & of course, they have to give the go ahead for the actual recital, which takes place next month. It’s mostly a formality, & I’m sure she’ll do great.
That’s the main thing on my agenda today :)

Angrboda

Doesn’t that sort of thing make you extremely proud as a music teacher? I think it would for me. :)

Terri HarpLady

Oh yeah! My students are my ‘other children’, & this one has been with me for over 10 years. She did a great job yesterday, & her recital, on may 10, will be wonderful!

Sipdown, 149. Thanks to Sil for a sample of this tea!

I was interested to try this one because I’ve only had one other Mi Xian, from Butiki. I like that one, although it’s not quite my style of black tea as it is very inherantly fruity.

This one is fruity to the MAX. It’s amazing that a tea can be so fruity naturally. Definitely getting similar notes from this as from the Butiki version, which I described there as “cooked, honey-covered peaches”. I think that description applies to this one as well. There is a bit of a zing to this one; not bitterness/astringency, but a slight tartness or tanginess, like the slightly sour skin of a plum against the sweet flesh. Really, objectively I can see that this is a really fine tea. I just don’t crave this kind of fruity black tea. I am, however, enjoying this cup and I’m glad I tried this one!

This is another sample from Sil. Thank you so much, you sending me these teas has saved me money. I would have ordered these, and from what I’ve learned today, that would have been a mistake. While I adore Taiwan oolongs, I don’t think I’m a fan of Taiwan blacks. I did order 3 last night using the Easy Tea 20.00 off deal. If they are anything like these, I will try them and then pass them along to others.
This is a miss for me too. I don’t get it. Bland boring, I’m not getting the fruity notes others are talking about. I think I’m a bold Chinese black kind of girl and these Taiwan ones are more subtle, too subtle for my tastes. I liked this better than the two Butaki ones I tried, but this too will not be my tea of choice.
Thanks Sil for the learning experience.

happy to oblige :)