2006 Aged Wild Mountain Black Tea, Lot 236

Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady
Boiling 1 min, 45 sec 3 g 4 oz / 130 ml

• “This is not my first tea of the day. First I had a cup of A & D's Chinese New Year (aka Golden tips), then I had a pot of butiki's Dinjoye Estate Assam. I should probably post about them, but I...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2951 tasting notes
  • “I have really enjoyed my order from TTC. All except this one. If you like raisins, and I mean the really sweet and juicy ones, then you probably would like this tea. But as I don't like raisins at...” Read full tasting note
    TastyBrew 361 tasting notes
  • “Terri sent this one to me in our last exchange. Not i have to preface this with the fact that i have really enjoyed all of the black teas that i've tried from taiwan tea crafts. The exception...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4923 tasting notes
  • “Super generous sample from *Terri HarpLady* - thank you 3G 130 ml gaiwan 212F Rinse/30/45/45/1min etc Leaves are black and unruly so I used scale to not underleaf It's malty with muscatel and stone...” Read full tasting note
    boychik 352 tasting notes

From Taiwan Tea Crafts

In the hills of Yuchi County surrounding the famous Sun Moon Lake in central Nantou lives a wild tea tree indigenous to Taiwan called Shan Cha (mountain tea). From it, small lots of the most unique and divine black tea is produced, and made available here. Extremely rare and sought after in its fresh state, it was quite surprising for us to stumble upon a small lot of aged Shan Cha! So, we bought all of what was available from a small family workshop of black tea makers with a history that dates back to the Japanese Rule. Just like the fresh seasonal offerings, this tea is equally unique and divinely expressive and, at 7 years of age, it is in its first stage of maturing and shows great potential for further mellowing through ageing. Right now, it is intensely aromatic and very fruity with concentrated notes of cherry liqueur and currants with a nice sweet tangy finish that evokes mead. The tannins are still present but not overbearing and offer a good foundation for a nice, persistent aftertaste. There is no need to be a tea aficionado to appreciate this tea. It is as pleasant as silk on your skin. And just like silk, it is very alluring and captivating. This tea will reward the patient kind with other dimensions if it allowed to age further. But, if you drink it all now, it would be perfectly understandable and worth every penny of it!

About Taiwan Tea Crafts View company

This is not my first tea of the day. First I had a cup of A & D’s Chinese New Year (aka Golden tips), then I had a pot of butiki’s Dinjoye Estate Assam. I should probably post about them, but I don’t really feel like backtracking today, so this is all you get. They are both delicious.

Now for this tea, which is the one I am currently drinking. Tasty Brew included it in the Grab Bag of our BBBBox. I sampled all of the others in the bag, & didn’t care for any of them, so they will be headed to Canada soon. I was gonna sample this one & probably do the same, but then I realized Sil has already tried it, I wasn’t a fan, so I’ll keep it.

I guess it has grown on me, because I kind of enjoyed the first cup & am working on the resteep now. It’s kind of earthy, woody, a little dried fruit, & an underlying taste of white willow bark (think salicylic acid, aspirin), which is interesting because I have a mild headache & was thinking, “I need to stop by Cheryl’s Herbs to get some more white willow bark, & then drink a cup”. So maybe I’m imagining that part.

I have really enjoyed my order from TTC. All except this one. If you like raisins, and I mean the really sweet and juicy ones, then you probably would like this tea. But as I don’t like raisins at all, not even remotely, this tea had to be dumped. The second steep wasn’t as raisiny but it still lingered in the background and I couldn’t get past it. This is their most expensive tea, so my tea budget is happy I don’t like it.

Hmmm…..

TastyBrew

Have you tried this one?

Negative!

Terri HarpLady

I think I bought some, but haven’t opened it yet

Terri sent this one to me in our last exchange. Not i have to preface this with the fact that i have really enjoyed all of the black teas that i’ve tried from taiwan tea crafts. The exception appears to be with their aged teas. Granted this one tastes totally different from the other aged tea i tried :)
The brewed aroma of this tea is amaaaazing. It’s juicy and fruity and overall i was like oh man..that smells wonderful. Sadly, that doesn’t equate with the actual tea. Much like tastybrew, this isn’t a tea for me. I get where she mentions raisins, as that is sort of what i’m tasting. Overall though, it’s like musty raisins..or something.
Nothing i’ll order again, but i do like being able to cross it off my list. Especially since there will be continued orders from taiwan tea crafts :)

Super generous sample from Terri HarpLady – thank you
3G 130 ml gaiwan 212F
Rinse/30/45/45/1min etc
Leaves are black and unruly so I used scale to not underleaf
It’s malty with muscatel and stone fruit notes kinda like Second Flush Darjeeling but with Taiwanese notes as well. Some unmistakable Taiwanese sweetness. Some dryness in aftertaste but not unpleasant . I really liked this tea as much as I like good SF Darj
Thank you Terri for the opportunity to try. It’s a winner

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 4 OZ / 130 ML
Cameron B.

You show those unruly leaves who’s boss! :P This sounds tasty, I may need to start in on Taiwanese blacks soon…

boychik

Oh I love Taiwanese blacks. I didn’t try many, mostly TTC. I just want to narrow them down. Can’t have all of them unfortunately :( my hubby keeps reminding me that we are on a budget. It’s not gentle reminder anymore… And I just placed Mandala order last night.

Cameron B.

My boyfriend encourages me, which is even worse! Lol.

Nicole