Golden Dragon Tippy Black Tea, Lot 240

Baked Bread, Cinnamon, Honey
Edit tea info Last updated by TastyBrew

From Taiwan Tea Crafts

We are honoured to be able to propose this exclusive selection of two black teas called Golden Dragon. This tea, along with its little brother, both originate from our own area of Mingjian Township and are very good examples at how some younger tea producers are now charting new territories in tea making. Using traditional methods and original Taiwanese cultivars, they re-interpret what tea making is all about in a very exciting way. This Lot is a high-quality hand-picked tea consisting of younger leaves with a significant presence of golden buds, hence the adjective “tippy”. These tips will render a nice honey-like sweetness to the tea. Furthermore, much like a wine made from an assemblage of different grapes, this it is a mixed-leaf tea, not a blend, where fresh leaves from different cultivars are mixed before the tea making process instead of after. This allows all the leaves to undergo the same transformation process enabling their distinctive characters to blend-into a more harmonious result. This mix uses leaves from 4 cultivars including the very rare T-20. The result gives a smooth and delicately intricate tea that is quite refreshing and incredibly easy to drink. There is nothing brash in this tea: a creamy oat cereal aroma and taste lingers on for many infusions. The cereal notes are intertwined with exotic fruit and mild wild honey sweetness that makes it quite refreshing. If you don’t like astringency, this is the tea for you! And why is called Golden Dragon, you may ask? There is no clever marketing ploy here. It so happens that the maker’s name is Jin Long which means Golden Dragon. He is also a member of the family. And we will humbly add that he fully merits to have this magnificient tea bear his name!

About Taiwan Tea Crafts View company

Started snowing again! I think we have a few more inches coming! Made a big mug of this as it’s got such a natural sweet and spice warming character to it. Yum!

I posted a few kid snow photos and a slow motion video of the hummingbirds battling over the feeder on my rarely updated blog. Feel free to check it out here:

The video is at the bottom.

The hummingbirds are so cute!

That’s an awesome hummingbird scene. :-) (The kids are adorable, too.)

Terri HarpLady

Why did I not know you had a blog?
You & your kids are ridiculously cut! :D
But I didn’t get to see the hummingbird video, maybe it’s because I’m onmy ipad?
I’ll try again later from my computer, meanwhile, thanks for this lovely tea!

So I finally managed to get my husband over the hump and on the mend from this flu and it looks like all of my compassion and voluntary nursing has been rewarded by my immune systems surrender and slow demise to the same tyrant virus… Thanks a lot immune system!! So instead of being at work this afternoon I’m working from home which at least has the benefit of being in close proximity to my tea stash… Before my taste buds go the same way as the immune system I decided to commiserate my impending doom with this tea…. Mmmm… opening the packet I’m greeted by a malty cocoa scent… brewed its big malt, honey, baked bread flavors with a slight hint of sweet potato… I may have to hoard the rest of this until I’m feeling better!

Feel better soon!

thank you… drinking lots of tea seems to be helping :)

We decided to each make a different cup to do a comparison of sorts. I put this one in my cup, and Alexa has Golden Dragon Black, Lot 241.

This one reminds me quite a bit of Bailin. It’s light, yet not, with a malty, nearly light syrupy flavour. The syrupy-ness could almost be a light honey flavour, though I am so picky about my honey flavours. It is definitely tasty though.

I wanted to drink a worthwhile tea for my 600th. So I brought this to work today for round 2.

I am wondering if maybe my gravity steeper still had a bit of the taste of yesterday’s (not my fave) tea in it, even though I rinsed it… because I seemed to enjoy this more when I made it at home.

This time it had a bit of a metallic zing to it. Strange.

I suspect though, in my mind I’m comparing it to the Yuchi Mountain Black, also from TTC, even though they’re two different teas. And let’s get real – nothing compares to that.

This had a bit of a honey note in it, but not as fruity as I recall.

I didn’t pay attention whatsoever to steeping time, and I also used the kettle at work and made it with what I can assume is whatever “boiling point” a cheapo kettle reaches.

I will try again at home.

Not quite the exciting 600th tasting note I was hoping for! Ah well :)

Yay 600! :D

woot! go 600!

600 FTW!

So I wanted a TTC tea and it was either one that I had lots of, or this one to finish it up and I went for the sipdown. I know I like it and that I want more. It’s on my shopping list. I can savor the rest and say goodbye for now. :)

Today I’m tasting cinnamon and warm baked bread with honey. OMG. YES.

Thanks again Terri and Sil for passing this on from your split order!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cinnamon, Honey

Another one from the BBB Box and one that has been good to me. I’m passing the last bit on to Cavo who is about to have her own TTC journey :) Thanks a bunch to TastyBrew for sharing this one with me since it’s one htat i hadn’t seen/tried yet so it was nice to try something new.

Would you recommend TTC teas?

TTC is top notch.

If you like the fruity sort of blacks then you’ll like their black teas. Theaged blacks are a little uh…different. I haven’t tried their greens but I’m not overly a fan of their oolongs but that’s ME, not the teas. What I do like about them is that you can pick up 25g samples and if you spend 25 in sample sizes, shipping is free….so yay for small samples AND free shipping. Their service is great :)

Oh awesome, thanks for the tips! :)

I’m trying some of this because I had to open the package anyway to send some to boychik. I really don’t know how TTC finds such incredible teas. There is an amazing combination of sweet spices in this. Their teas are unlike any I’ve had from other vendors. This is an incredible tea.

I’m intrigued ;) on the other hand I’m sorry you have to open new bag

Haha. I’m not sorry! This was a great way to start my day. Headed to FedEx now. :-)

I’ve never ordered from them, but your description has me intrigued! Just had a look at their site. I have too many teas already, but some of their offerings look really good :)

Let me know if you ever want me to send you some samples. I have quite a few of their teas (more than what I’ve added in my steepster cupboard), and would be happy to send you some…

Thanks for the kind offer! I’m going to hold off for the moment, however, since I have such a huge backlog. When I read reviews on Steepster I feel like a dog in a yard full of squirrels =:-}

I understand that feeling…Only I am mostly unable to resist the impulse to chase them all, so now I have soooo much tea. Let me know if you ever change your mind, though!

I will … thanks!

Taiwan Tea Crafts has some lovely & interesting teas, & this is another one of them.
If you’re looking for a knock your sox off bold tea, this is NOT it. But if you want something subtle & soothing, but still within the black tea genre, this might be the tea for you :)
There is a creamy quality, a honey & cream of wheat thing, a little pumpkin.
It kind of reminds me of Butiki’s wild mountain black, kind of.
Thanks to TastyBrew for including this in our latest BBBB!

Warm cinnamon raisin bread. That is exactly what this cup tasted like – so delicious!
There is a rich sweetness of cinnamon and spices, combined with the fruitiness of raisins, and fresh bread. Lovely and fragrant!

Sounds lucious!

Yes, this sounds so good. The question is, will it taste like Cinammon bread to me? It’s ok, it’s rhetorical, you don’t have to answer. I always read reviews and then when it’s my turn, not so much, not with straight teas anyway.

haha, I know what you mean. :)
I drank this without recalling my previous review and although I knew it was going to be somewhat of this flavor profile, I was surprised by how much like raisin cinnamon bread it was – really good. Next time I make it I hope it turns out the same!

Hmmm…makes me wonder what would happen if you threw some golden raisins in a steeping basket with something else…

Might be nice! :) Although this was more like the dark raisins, not the golden ones.