Tea Forest Green

Green Tea
Anise, Cream
Edit tea info Last updated by Lee

2 Images

• “Dry leaf is very different from any green I have had. It smells spicy like a spice shop. Very subtle anise, dried basil, and spring grass scents. The liquor has the color of white tea. You would...” Read full tasting note
    Lee 224 tasting notes
  • “Honey and licorice. Mild and unimpressive at first, but I found it makes a great iced tea and it pairs amazingly well with natural honey (I rarely use honey with any other teas). Sensitive to...” Read full tasting note
    spacemunkey 20 tasting notes

From Tao of Tea

Native Name: Jing Mai Long Jing

Origin: Jing Mai Mt., Southern Yunnan, China

Plucking Season: Early Spring

Introduction: In the Jing Mai mountain area in Southern Yunnan, there remain old growth tea plants that have matured into fifty feet high tea trees. These ‘wild’ trees are more than seven hundred years old, and considered a national treasure. Their exact location and method of cultivation has been a closely guarded secret of the local population. The tea forest region of about 1200 acres is home to an abundant variety of herbs and plants. We are proud to be among the first group of tea companies offering this tea.

Flavor Profile: Sweet, honey texture with an aftertaste similar to licorice.

Ingredients: 100% Organic Green Tea Leaves.

Certified Organic by: Quality Assurance International (QAI)

Large-leaf Chinese green teas are known for their full flavor and smoothness. To attain this balance and avoid too much bitterness or astringency, we recommend using slightly cooler water. If the water is too hot, the leaf will “stew”, creating a bitter, “spinachy” cup. Moderately hot water, 150 to 170 F, with two loose teaspoons of leaf per cup and a steeping of 2 to 3 minutes provides 2 to 3 satisfying infusions.
Another common method would be to enjoy the tea “Chinese style”. Merely place a few leaves at the bottom of a cup or glass, add hot water, and cover. After a couple minutes or so the leaf will unfurl and sink to the bottom of the vessel allowing you to drink from the top. When the water is down to just over the leaves, simply add more water. This style provides many infusions for a small amount of leaf.

Brewing Suggestions

Water Temp °F (°C) – 160°F (71°C)

Quality of Water – Best with Spring water

Quantity of Leaf (tsp / 8oz water) – 2

Steep Time (minutes) - 2-3 minutes

Infusions – 2-3

About Tao of Tea View company

The liquor has the color of white tea. You would not know this was a green tea unless you were an expert.
I love this green tea because I love white tea!!!!!!!!!!!! It is very much like a white tea with notes of cream, subtle notes of anise, tart apple.
If you don’t like vegetal or grassy notes in green tea, this is the one for you.
I like the appearance of the wet leaf too. They are free with lots of two leaves and bud size. A bit wild looking which is fun because I had a proper uniform and “all the same size” tea this morning lol.
It is very cleansing as well and I am having this after a lunch of vegetables and quinoa so this is delicious. I think it would pair heavenly with an anise flavored biscotti and I wish I had one. The anise is extremely subtle which is what is beautiful about this tea.
Very lovely tea!!!!!

Second Steeping brought out a bit of mint flavor!! This is a very interesting tea that makes me love large leaf Chinese green tea!!!

ICED I poured the rest of this lovely on ice because I live in the desert and the afternoons are getting warm now. This makes a great iced tea as well!! Yummm and refreshing!!
_____________________________________________________________________
5/16/14
Had a bit more of this today and it is mild and lovely. It has no vegetal notes, no grassy notes, it really doesn’t taste green. It is just a nice, sweet, delicious tea. A good one for people who don’t like green tea to try,,, because I think the people who don’t like green tea have tried ones with grassy, seaweed, or vegetal notes and they weren’t ready for those notes in tea :)

Flavors: Anise, Cream

Honey and licorice. Mild and unimpressive at first, but I found it makes a great iced tea and it pairs amazingly well with natural honey (I rarely use honey with any other teas). Sensitive to temp as well, make sure your water is not too hot or brewed for too long as it will become astringent and bitter. I’ve found it blends well with more robust and vegetal teas as well as mint for refreshing iced tea.