Da Hong Pao

Oolong Tea
Cinnamon, Roasted Barley
Edit tea info Last updated by Daniil

• “I spent the day at work enjoying this tea. I’ve had it before, and I don’t think I appreciated it as much the first time around. This is a top shelf oolong. I’ve been drinking...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 903 tasting notes
  • “A very high quality roasted oolong, actually one of the better Da Hong Paos I had an honor to try. Roasty, mellow, slight bitterness – everything is balanced in this tea. It’s hard to...” Read full tasting note
    daniil 69 tasting notes
  • “An incredibly fragrant tea, I feel like I’m sitting in front of camp fire or smelling the scent of wafting marijuana. Great mouth feel as well. I love this tea and my husband loves it even more.” Read full tasting note
    Sipa 52 tasting notes
  • “My son’s girlfriend had tea with me Sunday morning and we tasted a couple of oolongs. He has gotten her hooked on puerh and she fell in love with Harney’s Hot Cinnamon Spice while she...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 2048 tasting notes

From Tao Tea Leaf

The king of the famous rock oolong in the WuYi Mountain. Big Red Robe in China, a highly prized tea and a Si Da Ming Cong(The Four Great Bushes). This tea is also one of the two oolongs that make it to the list of Chinese famous teas.

About Tao Tea Leaf View company

I spent the day at work enjoying this tea. I’ve had it before, and I don’t think I appreciated it as much the first time around. This is a top shelf oolong. I’ve been drinking several different versions of this lately and this one is hands down my favorite. It is really pricey, and I know that shouldn’t factor into it, but somehow it does. Is this twice as good as others I’ve tried (it costs twice as much as some), I’m not sure, but it is really good. If you want to splurge on an excellent oolong – this would be a good choice. I’ve upped my rating a little bit and I would probably rate this even higher if it wasn’t for the cost.

scribbles

Am so happy you are enjoying their teas!! I agree…pricey, but tasty…when off hiatus in next month you can expect more…will pm you before I visit their shop.

Dexter

LOL thank you!!!! – NO – you don’t have to do that. Spend your money on tea for you!!! What I would like is a catalog. Can’t wait for their new web site to get up and running. See what else they have. I think what is currently listed is only some of the amazing stuff they sell.
This is my favorite Red Robe style oolong. Jin Ping Gong Fu is my favorite black. Their tea is just amazing. Some of the others I thought I really liked just don’t compare. Thank you for introducing me.

JustJames

this was lovely…

A very high quality roasted oolong, actually one of the better Da Hong Paos I had an honor to try. Roasty, mellow, slight bitterness – everything is balanced in this tea. It’s hard to go wrong with a Big Red Robe, but this particular one is a sure hit. Delicious tea, very good quality. It’s not a cheap one, but it’s truly a treat for a special occasion. Your gaiwan or yixing pot will thank you :)

2048 tasting notes

My son’s girlfriend had tea with me Sunday morning and we tasted a couple of oolongs. He has gotten her hooked on puerh and she fell in love with Harney’s Hot Cinnamon Spice while she was here, and she has had a few greens and liked them but hasn’t had them at home much. I wanted her to try oolongs, as she had only had one or two green oolongs here.

I had to get the package to make sure of the company name. When I opened the bag to give a sniff to refresh my memory for this note, the aroma was so enticing that I had to reach in and take out a leaf to chew on. That doesn’t work out with all teas for me, but it is quite enjoyable with this one. It is very true to the flavor of the steeped tea.

We tried this using the aroma cup set that Tea Ave sent. The scent cup feels wonderful in your hand while it is warm if the day is chilly and damp and your hands are cold. The tall narrow cup is the perfect size and shape for me to hold onto and warm up.

The aroma of this one blow us away. I love Da Hong Pao already, and I could see that ChelseaR enjoyed it. It had a lovely chocolate aroma, with burnt sugar, and a nice bit of smoke. We had several nice resteeps from it, too. That oolong latex or thick resin flavor is there in scent and taste as well.

This is one of the teas my daughters picked up as a gift for me at the Toronto Tea Festival, and I think this is a company we will likely order from again.

boychik

my favorite DHP.

Drank this tea at the shop in Toronto. It was absolutely wonderful. I can’t wait to order more from their website.

Flavors: Cinnamon

Thank you Boychik for this sample. This is a nice tea. The strong note is roasted barley but it is not too strong. It has a very pleasant taste to it. I am afraid I was too lazy this morning to brew this gongfu style. I brewed it western style.

I brewed this once in an 18oz teapot with 6g leaf and 190 degree water for 3 min.

Flavors: Roasted Barley

190 °F / 87 °C 3 min, 0 sec 6 g 18 OZ / 532 ML
boychik

Glad you liked it. I brew it gongfu style

This tea was really tasty, I had a sample. It tasted roasted for sure, so it was good for the cool weekend we had here in PA. I see it isn’t cheap, which makes sense, as the ones that steep this well many times usually aren’t. That said, I am not totally sure I would purchase it. As good as it is, there are many I have tasted with similar “tasty roasty oolong” flavor (for lack of better adjectives in my arsenal to explain it) that are less expensive. But, I recommend people give it a try if they can.

Yesterday I enjoyed gongfu session of this tea. its not my first try, but didnt log it for some reason. i picked 1 oz size with that crazy 50% sale in August? Marzipan organized that join order. it was an awesome experience.
back to the tea.
6g 100ml gaiwan 195F
rinse/ 5/7/10/10/10/15sec etc
This DHP is exceptionally smooth and sweet. Its not heavily roasted, so no ashy charcoal taste. wet leaves smell heavily of burnt sugar and caramel. Yum.

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 45 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Parsifal

Love the photos! Thank you fort sharing, the tea sounds lovely:)

The tea itself tasted just fine. My main negative comment goes to Tao Tea Leaf itself, in that the 26g I was provided consisted mainly of crushed dust, with few intact tea leafs sitting on top. Perhaps I got the last bit from the larger bag, but I am very disappointed. That being said, my other teas that were shipped were still intact.