An Ji Bai Cha

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Spencer

• “As with most sipdowns, there's just one pinch more leaf than you really need for a full cup, but you dump it in anyway...in doing so, the mineral background referred to in the tea description...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1756 tasting notes
  • “This artisan green tea struck my eye on account of the purported re-steep-ability. I love being able to resteep my teas, and I had been wanting to try a new green tea. This An Ji Bai Cha called out...” Read full tasting note
    morvaltur 1737 tasting notes
  • “When I pulled this out, I thought it was going to be an oolong. I mean, "Bai Chai" just sounds like an oolong-y sorta name. Surprised me that I was looking at a needle-thin green tea. I should read...” Read full tasting note
    The Lazy Literatus 346 tasting notes
  • “Well boo. Apparently I had more than one sample of this kickin around. I think this was one I had intended for trading. Oops :/ No matter. It tasted off anyhow. Partially because last time I used...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1323 tasting notes

From Tao Tea Leaf

Other names:An Ji Bai Pian, An Ji White Tea
An Ji Bai Cha Green Tea is a special green tea that contain an amount of amino acid, which is calming to the nervous system. An Ji Bai Cha Green Tea grows in a very sandy, rocky and rich in minerals soil. This environment has a powerful impact on the An Ji Bai Cha Green Tea.

About Tao Tea Leaf View company

As with most sipdowns, there’s just one pinch more leaf than you really need for a full cup, but you dump it in anyway…in doing so, the mineral background referred to in the tea description really stands out. I keep thinking it tastes a little like a silver spoon.

Enjoying it with my feet up for an after-dinner gloat. Actually made a plausible facsimile of restaurant Chicken Balsamico without trashing the kitchen or sustaining major grease burns. Score (a rare) one for the kitchen incompetent. http://www.carinos.com/chefsblog/post/2009/09/24/Chicken-Balsamico-Carinos-Recipes-for-the-Home-Cook.aspx

Nicole

That sounds like a tasty dinner!

gmathis

Hard to believe that there isn’t any other seasoning on the meat except a little salt/pepper. The balsamic kind of carmelizes. Was yummy.

This artisan green tea struck my eye on account of the purported re-steep-ability. I love being able to resteep my teas, and I had been wanting to try a new green tea. This An Ji Bai Cha called out to me and I answered it.

Okay, so that sounded a bit pretentious, but it did catch my eye. The Tao Tea Leaf website is full of great information. So, in following with all of their guidelines, I measured out about a teaspoon and a half of this for a cup of water at about 170 degrees Fahrenheit. I changed it up and used a ceramic teapot, as my glass steeping cup was unavailable. I am sure this tea would look very pretty in a glass cup, as the leaves dance in the water. Preheating the teaware is important for a potentially delicate tea like this, as steeping tea in cold teaware can alter the flavor substantially.

After two minutes of steeping, the resulting brew is a smooth and slightly sweet, yet much muted version of the sweet, grassy dry leaves. While there is not a big “wow” factor to this tea, it goes down very smooth and is very enjoyable to sit and sip…and sip and sip… The resteepability and how much that maintains its flavor is an added bonus that I think makes this tea a worthwhile try. On my personal enjoyment scale, I would give it an 86/100.

When I pulled this out, I thought it was going to be an oolong. I mean, “Bai Chai” just sounds like an oolong-y sorta name. Surprised me that I was looking at a needle-thin green tea. I should read more.

Anyway…the liquor was clear and the taste alternated between grass and grape. Very close to Long Jing, methought.

No matter. It tasted off anyhow. Partially because last time I used the whole packet and this time I went with half… so apparently you need to pack 2-3 tsp into your steeper to make it worthwhile!

Also… I need a new job. I just got this one less than a month ago and already it is driving me nuts.
First, now that I am used to the duties, it is kinda mind numbingly boring! and we aren’t permitted to have a radio on.
Second, I sit at reception, even though it has nothing at all to do with my actual job other than manning the phones. They just want someone there to greet candidates.
That isn’t the bad part- what makes me cringe is that every single time I want to leave the desk to grab some water, hit the washroom, and of course for lunch, someone has to cover me. They have to leave their desk, interrupt their work, and sit at mine. This just started two days ago. Previously, I would simply transfer the phones to whoever was covering me. Not SO bad. Right?
But now… I have to raise my hand (ie send an email), ingratiating myself to whomever’s turn it is, to let me take care of my bursting bladder. Not only that, but this way my habits are on display for the whole office (eight people). So now I feel like asking if they can ALSO sit in my seat while I boil water and then two minutes later go back to fill my cup, is too much. In fact, I know it is, because I was actually asked if I could drink less water. Or if maybe I could go on my lunch hour, which was then amended to say maybe we should schedule a midmorning or afternoon break. Oy!!! Maybe next they will start timing me. Ha! I dunno, I think that is a bit too invasive. Or is it just me?

Kaylee

It’s definitely too invasive. That’s just weird. But, just scheduling a break might actually be better for you. That way you can take care of whatever without having to give everyone a detailed account of your activities.

TeaBrat

That does sound annoying, when I’m at work I drink tea all day long but I don’t have to answer a lot of phones.

Fjellrev

That’s a pretty pointless, inefficient system. You’d think the phone transferring strategy would be good enough.

SimpliciTEA

Sorry to hear about the particulars of your job situation; I can understand how you could feel uncomfortable about the expectations, and awkward about the whole situation.

About the tea, I am a big fan of An Ji Bai Cha for many reasons: it typically has a crisp clean taste, and the way it’s processed causes it to be high in theanine, so, chemically speaking, it is a little more calming on the human nervous system than a typical green tea. So, better luck next time with this type of tea!

Stephanie

Yuck. Scheduled breaks sound like the best case scenario here, and yum…an ji bai cha!

Indigobloom

Kaylee, this is true. But then I got to thinking, my break should be scheduled mid morning right, say at 10am? What if I can’t hold it that long?? or if I have tummy trouble…

Indigobloom

TeaBrat, I don’t actually mind the phones. It is the most entertaining part of my day hah. But the break part is definitely annoyoing

Indigobloom

SimpliciTea, Thanks. Uncomfortable is a very good word for how I feel haha.
I could certainly use some theanine!! I’ll bet it has just as much as matcha. My first cup was incredibly soothing :)

Indigobloom

Stephanie, I am starting to think so. It still creeps me out though! I haven’t figured out why…
I think I may need to invest in more than just a sample :P