Milk Oolong

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Renata

• “Just as the tea description says, as soon as I opened the bag the creamy, milky aroma was immediately apparent. I was sure I was in for a treat. So far I've had 2 cups and about to go for a...” Read full tasting note
    scribbles 177 tasting notes
  • “This was really an excuse to use my porcelain gaiwan. Yesterday I used the stoneware one (thanks again to Butiki) and today I thought I'd use the more delicate one now that I have the new,...” Read full tasting note
    cvasilevski 165 tasting notes

From Tao Tea Leaf

Our milk oolong is a fantastic addition to our oolong family. Oolongs are semi oxidized teas that fall in between greens and blacks. Their bodies are thick and rich, practically begging to be coupled with a creamy flavour. This teas natural milky aroma hits you immediately when you open the bag. The milk oolong has a fantastically rich and creamy flavour that can you can enjoy while the velvety aroma hangs overhead.

About Tao Tea Leaf View company

So far I’ve had 2 cups and about to go for a third. As the tea aroma suggested, the brews were sweet and creamy. But, I didn’t find this any more special than another milk oolong I had tried a while ago (which was far less expensive). It was good, but not outstanding.

Fjellrev

I see the potential in milk oolongs, but still haven’t found one that is outstanding.

scribbles

This is only my second milk oolong, so I don’t have a lot of comparison experience. I’ve read Mandala’s version is quite good.

Fjellrev

I haven’t had theirs either but it’s been on my list. Maybe it’s the answer!

scribbles

I hope so! My next order from them will definitely include some.

mrmopar

Mandala’s is very good.

This was really an excuse to use my porcelain gaiwan. Yesterday I used the stoneware one (thanks again to Butiki) and today I thought I’d use the more delicate one now that I have the new, unchipped lid (again from Butiki!)

I used about 2 tsp of leaf in a 4-oz gaiwan, and made 6 steeps – just enough for one small David’s Tea Bubble Teapot. Boil the water, heat the teapot, heat the gaiwan, rinse the leaves, then put the remaining boiled water in the pot, to be poured out for each steep. Started out with a 20s steep, with 5 seconds added for each subsequent steep.

The dry leaf smelled very buttery and creamy, though not as buttery as Teavivre’s Flavoured Milk Oolong, which is my comparison point. All 6 steeps were pale golden yellow, with the first 2 steeps being the creamiest.

The base was quite vegetal, though, and became more astringent as time went on. I’m learning more about my own tastes when it comes to oolongs, and I believe I like them on the roastier side, rather than the green/floral side. As the steeps increased, I was getting a floral, orchid-like note.

I still have half the sample left to go, but I don’t think I’ll miss this one too much when I finish it off.