Milk Oolong

Oolong Tea
Butter, Creamy, Lemon
Edit tea info Last updated by Renata

• “Just as the tea description says, as soon as I opened the bag the creamy, milky aroma was immediately apparent. I was sure I was in for a treat. So far I've had 2 cups and about to go for a...” Read full tasting note
    scribbles 226 tasting notes
  • “I admit that I am still exploring milk oolongs; this is my third one to date. For this session I brewed the leaves western style for a total of 5 steeps. I am not sure if this oolong is scented,...” Read full tasting note
    Blodeuyn 20 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! I'll see if I can do a total of 4 sipdowns today. This is the first. I brewed half of this sample from Tao a few days ago gong-fu style with my gaiwan. I just brewed the second half now...” Read full tasting note
    cvasilevski 533 tasting notes

From Tao Tea Leaf

Our milk oolong is a fantastic addition to our oolong family. Oolongs are semi oxidized teas that fall in between greens and blacks. Their bodies are thick and rich, practically begging to be coupled with a creamy flavour. This teas natural milky aroma hits you immediately when you open the bag. The milk oolong has a fantastically rich and creamy flavour that can you can enjoy while the velvety aroma hangs overhead.

About Tao Tea Leaf View company

So far I’ve had 2 cups and about to go for a third. As the tea aroma suggested, the brews were sweet and creamy. But, I didn’t find this any more special than another milk oolong I had tried a while ago (which was far less expensive). It was good, but not outstanding.

Fjellrev

I see the potential in milk oolongs, but still haven’t found one that is outstanding.

scribbles

This is only my second milk oolong, so I don’t have a lot of comparison experience. I’ve read Mandala’s version is quite good.

Fjellrev

I haven’t had theirs either but it’s been on my list. Maybe it’s the answer!

scribbles

I hope so! My next order from them will definitely include some.

mrmopar

Mandala’s is very good.

I admit that I am still exploring milk oolongs; this is my third one to date. For this session I brewed the leaves western style for a total of 5 steeps. I am not sure if this oolong is scented, flavored, or 100% pure, so I am going with the guess it has nothing added (there is nothing listed on the package or website).

First steeping: 2 1/2 minutes at 210 degrees. The aroma is quite buttery, almost like movie-theater popcorn. The flavor is creamy and buttery.

Second steeping: 3 minutes at 210 degrees. The fragrance is still buttery, with a faint hint of floral. The butter notes are still strong and I detect a slight flowery aftertaste.

Third steeping: 4 minutes at 210 degrees. The liquor still smells of butter but the floral scent is gone. I still get a strong butter-creamy flavor with an unexpected lemon (or tart citrus) aftertaste. I quite like this!

Fourth steeping: 5 minutes at 210 degrees. Very much the same as the third steeping. The butter scent and flavor is not quite as strong, though the lemon aftertaste is still present.

Fifth steeping: 6 minutes at 210 degrees. The fifth infusion has a weak, though still buttery, aroma. The liquor still retains the butter and lemon essences; both are fainter.

I would like to try further steepings but it is late. This tea does not have many ratings and is not rated extremely high, however I loved it. I envisioned myself eating succulent scallops while sipping this milk oolong.

Flavors: Butter, Creamy, Lemon

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
mj

Oh now I want scallops! At 6am, which is weird

Blodeuyn

Me too! I’m still surprised by the lemony aftertaste. And what goes better with butter and lemon than scallops? :)

Sipdown! I’ll see if I can do a total of 4 sipdowns today. This is the first.

I brewed half of this sample from Tao a few days ago gong-fu style with my gaiwan. I just brewed the second half now Western-style, and decided to toss the leaves after the first steep.

Western style, the oolong base really cuts through the creaminess of the milk flavouring. It’s a greener base as well, which I’m slowly realizing I’m not a big fan of. Ah well. One more down.

200 °F / 93 °C 2 min, 45 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML