Chinese Breakfast

Edit tea info Last updated by gmathis

• “Wow. Queen Catherine? I am sorry but you have been struck off my shopping list. This tea will do just fine as an alternative! It's just the right amount of bold and malty, with a teeny _pinch_ of...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1258 tasting notes
  • “(Updated tea info with the description currently on Tao Tea Leaf's website) *Scribbles* is my tea hero this week, sending some treats I definitely couldn't find in these parts and might not think...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1625 tasting notes

From Tao Tea Leaf

This is a unique black tea grown from leaves that usually go on to become large leaf Pu’er teas. The leaves come from ancient Yunnan Da Ye trees. The origin of the leaves is what gives this tea its trademarked flavours. Its robust strength and powerful flavour makes it perfect for a coffee replacement in the morning. Chinese breakfast has a rich and strong flavour. The body is thick and heavy which lends itself perfectly to mixing with milk and sugar. The flavour is malty and earthy with a strong and full bodied aftertaste.

About Tao Tea Leaf View company

Wow. Queen Catherine? I am sorry but you have been struck off my shopping list.
This tea will do just fine as an alternative! It’s just the right amount of bold and malty, with a teeny pinch of smokiness.
I’m not sure of which specific teas are in here, but I can pick out some yunnan, pu-erh, and probably lapsang. A masterful combo!!
There was also a hint of that abrasiveness I find in some Asian black teas but I don’t care! I drank this bare, sans sugar or dairy, though it would do exceptionally well as my morning breakfast tea as well.
When (yes… I said WHEN!) my cupboard is manageable again, this is going on my must have at all times list.
Thank you Tao for the cup!! I really appreciate it!

(Updated tea info with the description currently on Tao Tea Leaf’s website)

Scribbles is my tea hero this week, sending some treats I definitely couldn’t find in these parts and might not think to seek out. I am absolutely reveling in this one. The tea description says this contains the same leaves that grow up to be pu-erh. You totally get that.

But the first thing this cup made me think of this morning was this: melt butter in skillet. Stir in about a tablespoon of brown sugar. Grab a slice of dark wheat or rye bread and brown both sides until nearly burned. Lick the crust. That’s it.

Steeped plain ol’ western style, about 3 minutes, no milk or sugar. This is gooooood.

K S

Wow. Just wondering what my wife will say when she catches me licking toast? Your description reads like what was going through my head with Zhu Rhong but didn’t have the sense to type out.