Tai Ping Hou Kui Green Tea Premium

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by ifjuly

• “This hou kui's leaves are even longer than Teavivre's (for some reason the pic both here on Steepster and on the vendor website is wrong; it's a duplicate photo of one of their other green teas),...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 612 tasting notes
  • “I only got a sample size of this and wanted it to last so didn't put enough in the teapot. My tea is now too weak to leave a proper review. Only posting this here so I don't make the same...” Read full tasting note
    Ubacat 224 tasting notes

From Tao Tea Leaf

This is a fantastically sweet and floral green tea that has recently been gaining popularity in the word of Chinese tea. This tea has won a slew of awards including the ‘King of Tea’ award in 2004 at the China tea exhibition.

Our Tai Ping Hou Kai is strong and floral with fruity scents, subtle hints of apricot. The liquor is thick but very light. It tastes subtly sweet with a grassy aftertaste.

Region: Houkeng Village, Anhui Province, China

Other Names: Monkey Tea, Taiping Best Monkey Tea

Steeping Guide:
Teaware: Glass or ceramic Gaiwan
Amount: 3g /1½ teaspoons
Temperature: 80°c (176°F)
Steeping Time: 1 to 2 minutes for the first two steeps and 3 to 5 minutes for the third and fourth.

*These steeping directions are for a traditional Gong Fu style tea, if you are brewing this tea in a regular cup we recommend steeping for 2 – 3 minutes. This tea can also be steeped 4 times.

About Tao Tea Leaf View company

This hou kui’s leaves are even longer than Teavivre’s (for some reason the pic both here on Steepster and on the vendor website is wrong; it’s a duplicate photo of one of their other green teas), so long and straight and flat they came in their own special packaging and much like dried spaghetti wouldn’t fit in the tea pot until hot water softened it! Awesome. The way HKs look just tickles me.

This is silky smooth, buttery with a wonderful balance between savory satisfaction and gentle sweetness. The texture is really the star here; I love it. So far so good with hou kuis!

I only got a sample size of this and wanted it to last so didn’t put enough in the teapot. My tea is now too weak to leave a proper review. Only posting this here so I don’t make the same mistake for next time. It’s hard to measure by spoon since the leaves are so big. Better to go by weight.

MzPriss

I hate it when I do that