Lapsang Souchong New Style

Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.
3 g 8 oz / 236 ml

• “Yeah, baby! It's drizzly outside, raining on & off. My house is heated with radiators (water, not steam), so it's nice & toasty in here. I've been practicing on & off all morning, taking breaks to...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2897 tasting notes
  • “I was curious about this one because they mention it being less intensely smokey than most lapsangs. So i figured what the hell. Opening the package i was not convinced, as this smells just as...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4840 tasting notes
  • “This LS is magical. It's not harsh charcoal ashtray flavor. The smoke is subtle to compliment the chocolate notes. But it's there. I would compare it to a chile spice dark chocolate which...” Read full tasting note
    boychik 334 tasting notes

From Tao Tea Leaf

This lapsang souchong is a much sweeter and less smoky take on a classic tea. The leaves contain a higher ratio of buds to leaves than the original. The leaves and buds are also picked earlier in the harvesting season. This means that the tea is much sweeter. This full bodied tea is perfect for those who would are new to the world of lapsang souchong or those who enjoy a more subtle and subdued smoked flavour.

Other Names: Zhengshan Xiaozhong

Region: WuYiShan, Fujian Province, China.

Steeping Guide:

Teaware: Glass or ceramic Gaiwan

Amount: 3g /1½ teaspoons

Temperature: 100°c (212°F)

Steeping Time: 1 to 2 minutes for the first two steeps and 3 to 5 minutes for the third and fourth.

*These steeping directions are for a traditional Gong Fu style tea, if you are brewing this tea in a regular cup we recommend steeping for 2 – 3 minutes. This tea can also been steeped 4 times.

About Tao Tea Leaf View company

Yeah, baby!
It’s drizzly outside, raining on & off. My house is heated with radiators (water, not steam), so it’s nice & toasty in here. I’ve been practicing on & off all morning, taking breaks to teach when a student shows up, & now I’m finishing off my lunch. I’ve drank some other teas, & will try to post them, but for now, I wanted this one, & I’m loving it! This cool weather really makes me want something smokey & rich, & this is it!
Some Lapsangs taste like somebody added liquid smoke to the tea, or like you’re at a BBQ. Not this one. The smoke is subtle, & it’s buttery & sweet! A nice caramelized brown sugar taste, & I didn’t even add maple syrup! Delicious!

Thanks, Sil, for the sample, & if you want to split a larger quantity with me, or with our BBB, THAT would be awesome!

TastyBrew

BBB!!! I want to try this too! Sounds awesome.

Terri HarpLady

Yay!! I think you’ll love it, TB!

Can you send me a poke about this on Facebook so I don’t forget? At the salon tonight

Terri…is this the one you were trying to figure out??

Terri HarpLady

Must be! :)

mm k. I’ll put it on my list of teas to pick up for sharing with the box. Might be a few rounds but we’ll get there. I have another from tao leaf to share with you and tastybrew too

I was curious about this one because they mention it being less intensely smokey than most lapsangs. So i figured what the hell. Opening the package i was not convinced, as this smells just as strongly as other lapsangs that i’ve had. However, after brewing this (western) it really does have a milder, sweeter taste than others. While i dont mind drinking lapsangs straight, i’ll be honest in that i mostly cook with them. This one though? PERFECTION…with a dash of maple syrup. I am really enjoying it this tonight with the maple syrup. I’d buy this again :)

This LS is magical. It’s not harsh charcoal ashtray flavor. The smoke is subtle to compliment the chocolate notes. But it’s there. I would compare it to a chile spice dark chocolate which brings chocolate to a new level.

Half way I added tiny bit of maple syrup. OMG. Maple syrup is meant for smoky teas( thanks Terri and Sil)
But… But maple syrup masked that slight minty flavor which was surprising too.

I did resteep@5min. It was very very good. This time I didn’t add anything except I had small piece of cheddar on a side.

Very enjoyable experience. So happy I picked this tea on recent 50% sale.

Western 3G 8 oz 205F
3min/ 5min

3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
boychik

When I get home I want to try side by side with Joseph Wesley’s

DigniTea

I picked up this one in the recent sale. Looking forward to trying it.

boychik

I hope you’ll like it as much as I do ;)