Lapsang Souchong New Style

Mineral, Smoke, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

From Tao Tea Leaf

This lapsang souchong is a much sweeter and less smoky take on a classic tea. The leaves contain a higher ratio of buds to leaves than the original. The leaves and buds are also picked earlier in the harvesting season. This means that the tea is much sweeter. This full bodied tea is perfect for those who would are new to the world of lapsang souchong or those who enjoy a more subtle and subdued smoked flavour.

Other Names: Zhengshan Xiaozhong

Region: WuYiShan, Fujian Province, China.

Steeping Guide:

Teaware: Glass or ceramic Gaiwan

Amount: 3g /1½ teaspoons

Temperature: 100°c (212°F)

Steeping Time: 1 to 2 minutes for the first two steeps and 3 to 5 minutes for the third and fourth.

*These steeping directions are for a traditional Gong Fu style tea, if you are brewing this tea in a regular cup we recommend steeping for 2 – 3 minutes. This tea can also been steeped 4 times.

About Tao Tea Leaf View company

Yeah, baby!
It’s drizzly outside, raining on & off. My house is heated with radiators (water, not steam), so it’s nice & toasty in here. I’ve been practicing on & off all morning, taking breaks to teach when a student shows up, & now I’m finishing off my lunch. I’ve drank some other teas, & will try to post them, but for now, I wanted this one, & I’m loving it! This cool weather really makes me want something smokey & rich, & this is it!
Some Lapsangs taste like somebody added liquid smoke to the tea, or like you’re at a BBQ. Not this one. The smoke is subtle, & it’s buttery & sweet! A nice caramelized brown sugar taste, & I didn’t even add maple syrup! Delicious!

Thanks, Sil, for the sample, & if you want to split a larger quantity with me, or with our BBB, THAT would be awesome!

TastyBrew

BBB!!! I want to try this too! Sounds awesome.

Terri HarpLady

Yay!! I think you’ll love it, TB!

Can you send me a poke about this on Facebook so I don’t forget? At the salon tonight

Terri…is this the one you were trying to figure out??

Terri HarpLady

Must be! :)

mm k. I’ll put it on my list of teas to pick up for sharing with the box. Might be a few rounds but we’ll get there. I have another from tao leaf to share with you and tastybrew too

Please keep things friendly and .

mmm dexter was kind enough to rehome this one to me as it wasn’t her cup of tea and i seemed to enjoy it the last time i had it. I have to say…yes. Bumping the rating up a little because it really is a great smokey tea with maple. this plus maple syrup is really damn good and was perfect yesterday in the COLD! haha

Final Count yesterday: 166 (plus the travelling tea box)

Please keep things friendly and .

Time to try another lapsang! I must say, I’m a bit nervous for this one after not liking the lapsang from TeaVivre, but too bad! This is a sample from Dexter. The leaves are extremely small and short, and quite thin as well. They so smell quite smoky, but it’s a pleasant smoke like a campfire combined with smoked meat.

Hm… The steeped tea has a much stronger smoke smell, and it’s veering more toward charcoal but still has some of that savory character. Hm… Well I definitely prefer this one to the other lapsang I tried. I still don’t love it, but it’s better. There’s a strong woody flavor (which makes sense) and it reminds me of scotch a bit. I wish there was more of that smoked meat that was in the aroma, the smoke here is much harsher and it’s almost mineral. I added a touch of maple syrup, and it definitely does make this much more tasty.

Flavors: Mineral, Smoke, Wood

Mikumofu

Yay, you got maple syrup!

Cameron B.

Ha ha, yes. I bought some to put in my steel-cut oats. Om nom nom.

love me this LS ;)

Please keep things friendly and .

This LS is magical. It’s not harsh charcoal ashtray flavor. The smoke is subtle to compliment the chocolate notes. But it’s there. I would compare it to a chile spice dark chocolate which brings chocolate to a new level.

Half way I added tiny bit of maple syrup. OMG. Maple syrup is meant for smoky teas( thanks Terri and Sil)
But… But maple syrup masked that slight minty flavor which was surprising too.

I did resteep@5min. It was very very good. This time I didn’t add anything except I had small piece of cheddar on a side.

Very enjoyable experience. So happy I picked this tea on recent 50% sale.

Western 3G 8 oz 205F
3min/ 5min

3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

When I get home I want to try side by side with Joseph Wesley’s

DigniTea

I picked up this one in the recent sale. Looking forward to trying it.

boychik

I hope you’ll like it as much as I do ;)