Ying De Black Tea

Grain, Malt, Plums, Baked Bread, Honey, Smooth, Sweet, Grapes, Hay, Oats, Pastries, Chocolate, Sugarcane
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by looseTman

From Tao Tea Leaf

Ying De Black Tea is a black tea from Yingde, Guangdong province, China. It was first produced mechanically in 1959. Much of this great tasting tea is exported and the best kind is called “Ying Hong No.9”. The tea should have a cocoa-like aroma and, like most Chinese black teas, a sweet aftertaste.

Region: Yingde, Guangdong Province.

Steeping Guide:
Teaware: Glass or ceramic Gaiwan
Amount: 3g /1½ teaspoons
Temperature: 100°c (212°F)
Steeping Time: 1 to 2 minutes for the first two steeps and 3 to 5 minutes for the third and fourth.

*These steeping directions are for a traditional Gong Fu style tea, if you are brewing this tea in a regular cup we recommend steeping for 2 – 3 minutes. This tea can also been steeped 4 times.

About Tao Tea Leaf View company

This tea is like drinking pure honey….so much honey! There’s a slight cocoa note, but it’s barely there. It reminds me of Nannuoshan’s Tanyang Gongfu black tea, except that one has more of a balance between the cocoa and honey notes. This one is actually a little too sweet for me, but I like that the honey note is not just sweet, but that all the other characteristics of honey are there. I’m not sure how to explain those other characteristics, except to say it tastes exactly like honey. So if you like honey, definitely check this tea out! The leaf is nice and large too, similar to some Taiwanese black teas I’ve had. Pretty nice quality, and I’m looking forward to trying the other two black teas I ordered.

Sample from Tao Tea Leaf this morning. It’s an enjoyable tea, I would say sweet and smooth really describes it. It’s definitely a bit on the lighter side when it comes to body and has a good cocoa flavor. Amazing no bitterness or astringency at all. I steeped this for 3 minutes and it’s still a bit on the light side, overall I think I prefer black teas with a bit more heft. This was tasty but probably won’t be a repurchase for me.

My plan was to try two similar teas together, for comparison purposes, and then I went and steeped this along with TTL’s ZhengHe GongFu from Jin Ping, forgetting that they’re actually really different teas. Oops. :) They’re both still really delicious Chinese blacks, but this one is a lot less chocolatey. Upping the rating on this one, because I think I do actually like them equally.

this was so much better the previous year. 2014 was just not a good year for a number of teas that i loved originally.

Is this the latest batch? I was wondering because it tastes like honey, but I was expecting cocoa from the description.

assuming this would be the 2014 harvest…i picked it up dec 2014.

I made this last night and walked off and forgot about it. Surprisingly not as bitter as it might have been but after 4 hours steeping, still pretty much undrinkable. :( Luckily it wasn’t the last of my supply.

Okay,first off, I’m watching this documantary about animals with fake legs. It’s on Netflix. Called “Nature: My bionic Pet”. If you are ever sad or bored, you seriously have to watch it. It’s just so cool and the animals are adorable!
Also, this freakin’ video is amazing, and It just really makes me want a handicapped pig. xD Just watch. Kinda long-but worth it! It’s just adorable!
It just really makes me want a pig now…I love their “oinks”!

Now about the tea! Sorry, but it was just important that I posted that video. Totally made my night!
This tea is pretty freakin’ good too! I love the bready aroma and taste this one has. There’s a lot of sweetness to it, much like honey. There’s no bitterness whatsoever. A really enjoyable cup. In a super good sale I’d definitely pick up more of this!! Thank you soooo much for the sample, Boychik! :D

Flavors: Baked Bread, Honey, Smooth, Sweet

Oh I love this one. Probably my favorite tea of all time.

I need to drink this more often:-)

So happy I finally got to try it! Now I understand the hype!

Im waiting for Boxer Day in December. supposed to be another 50% sale

I loved that shoe.

Recd this one from the generous Scribbles.

The dry tea smells strongly of bread and dates. Very thick stone fruit scent. Also a slight alcoholic fermented smell, but a pleasant one.

I accidentally oversteeped this one by quite a few minutes becuase I am at work and got distracted. On first sip it is super bitter- I am blaming this on the over steep. But after it cools significantly the bittness mellows a bit.

This is a strong black tea, bold, slightly malty. Strong flavours of bread. Not so much stone fruit or date flavours. It is reminding me of burnt coffee grounds actually.

Reserving the rating for when I make is one properly. I am thinking the strong flavours are a byproduct of the steep time.

My sweetie has a random sore throat that started yesterday. He thinks it must be from pushing himself too hard on the treadmill and sprinting too much. So this morning he asked me to make him a tea with honey to soothe his poor throat. He wanted a black tea, so I was a dear and made him one of my favorites – Taiwanese Wild Mountain Black. He says he really likes it! :)

Anyway, this tea! Scribbles sent me a sample in our swap, she is lucky enough to live near the retail store! These large pouches are too big to fit into my “bag o’ black tea samples” so I actually chose this tea deliberately. The leaves themselves are rather thin and of medium length. They’re very dark brown, almost black in color. Dry scent reminds me a lot of white tea – hay, raw grains, honey. I steeped a teaspoon of leaf for 3 minutes at 200 degrees.

Once brewed, this tea smells just like fresh-baked bread! It’s very rich and buttery, yum. The taste is also quite bready and reminds me of pastries. There’s a raw grain note that makes me think of oats, and just a smattering of honey over the top. I’m picturing some lovely puff pastry concoction with oat streusel and honey glaze! I’m getting a slightly dusty mouthfeel, but it’s not enough to give me any bother.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Hay, Honey, Malt, Oats, Pastries, Sweet

You make this sound divine!!! Next time I try it, I’ll have to pay more attention.

I stopped by the shop on Friday whilst running errands and picked up a cuppa. So much yum!!!
Now, I could have very well brought home a whole bag of it for double the price of one cup but I really didn’t wanna bring MOAR tea into the house when I am trying my darndest to sip down my (slightly damp, but still, I can’t bear to throw it out) supply as it is. Atleast not until I know if I like it or not.
Either way, now I know that this is a highly delish tea filled with dark chocolate and malt notes, with a very slight hay-ish backround. There were also moments where I thought I detected a subtle pepper but then it was gone faster than I could blink so don’t quote me on that!
Would love to try this in my gaiwan :)

I know the feeling :)

I keep meaning to write a more analytical note on this one, too, and I keep slurping it up too fast to be very precise!

TeaBrat, it gets a little overwhelming, trying to manage my addiction :P

When I received a packet of tea treats from*scribbles,* my first thought was, “No…I shall be noble and drink up the dribs and drabs that are already open.”

Yeah, that lasted about 30 seconds.

I like this one! The leaves are long and ribbony, first steep was as bright and coppery as a brand new penny, and plenty of lightly sweet malt and chocolate to think about. Second steep (western style; sorry, I’m a barbarian :) at twice the minutes was still tasty, just had to think a little harder.

This is on the lighter end of the wake-up scale; be sure you’ve had a decent night’s sleep if you drink it in the morning, but if you’re already somewhat awake, you’ll be sufficiently alert to enjoy its subtleties.

Gongfu method
4g 100 ml glass teapot 205F
I combined all steeps in one huge mug. Each steep was really good but not much of a change of flavors. Next time I’ll make it western.
This tea is lovely and so comforting. Rich chocolaty malty, some nuts.
I would drink it anytime of the day.
So glad I picked it on 50% sale . It was a join order and Marzipan placed order , packed and sent back to 4 of us. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Marzipan is awesome. These teas sound nice too! YAY!

You should come chat with us boychik!

Thanks, I might. Hubby comes tonight. We will replace windows tomorrow . I need to make it neat somehow;)

Oh that definitely sounds more important! :)

I thoroughly enjoyed this tea. Believe it or not, Tao Tea Leaf’s Jin Ping Gong Fu Black Tea was even better!!

i believe you:) i bought that one too