Ying De Black Tea

Baked Bread, Hay, Honey, Malt, Oats, Pastries, Sweet, Chocolate, Sugarcane
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by looseTman

• “Recd this one from the generous Scribbles. The dry tea smells strongly of bread and dates. Very thick stone fruit scent. Also a slight alcoholic fermented smell, but a pleasant one. I...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 771 tasting notes
  • “My sweetie has a random sore throat that started yesterday. He thinks it must be from pushing himself too hard on the treadmill and sprinting too much. So this morning he asked me to make him a...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 601 tasting notes
  • “I stopped by the shop on Friday whilst running errands and picked up a cuppa. So much yum!!! Now, I could have very well brought home a whole bag of it for double the price of one cup but I really...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1314 tasting notes
  • “When I received a packet of tea treats from*scribbles,* my first thought was, "No...I shall be noble and drink up the dribs and drabs that are already open." Yeah, that lasted about 30 seconds. I...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1735 tasting notes

From Tao Tea Leaf

Ying De Black Tea is a black tea from Yingde, Guangdong province, China. It was first produced mechanically in 1959. Much of this great tasting tea is exported and the best kind is called “Ying Hong No.9”. The tea should have a cocoa-like aroma and, like most Chinese black teas, a sweet aftertaste.

Region: Yingde, Guangdong Province.

Steeping Guide:
Teaware: Glass or ceramic Gaiwan
Amount: 3g /1½ teaspoons
Temperature: 100°c (212°F)
Steeping Time: 1 to 2 minutes for the first two steeps and 3 to 5 minutes for the third and fourth.

*These steeping directions are for a traditional Gong Fu style tea, if you are brewing this tea in a regular cup we recommend steeping for 2 – 3 minutes. This tea can also been steeped 4 times.

About Tao Tea Leaf View company

Recd this one from the generous Scribbles.

I accidentally oversteeped this one by quite a few minutes becuase I am at work and got distracted. On first sip it is super bitter- I am blaming this on the over steep. But after it cools significantly the bittness mellows a bit.

This is a strong black tea, bold, slightly malty. Strong flavours of bread. Not so much stone fruit or date flavours. It is reminding me of burnt coffee grounds actually.

Reserving the rating for when I make is one properly. I am thinking the strong flavours are a byproduct of the steep time.

My sweetie has a random sore throat that started yesterday. He thinks it must be from pushing himself too hard on the treadmill and sprinting too much. So this morning he asked me to make him a tea with honey to soothe his poor throat. He wanted a black tea, so I was a dear and made him one of my favorites – Taiwanese Wild Mountain Black. He says he really likes it! :)

Anyway, this tea! Scribbles sent me a sample in our swap, she is lucky enough to live near the retail store! These large pouches are too big to fit into my “bag o’ black tea samples” so I actually chose this tea deliberately. The leaves themselves are rather thin and of medium length. They’re very dark brown, almost black in color. Dry scent reminds me a lot of white tea – hay, raw grains, honey. I steeped a teaspoon of leaf for 3 minutes at 200 degrees.

Once brewed, this tea smells just like fresh-baked bread! It’s very rich and buttery, yum. The taste is also quite bready and reminds me of pastries. There’s a raw grain note that makes me think of oats, and just a smattering of honey over the top. I’m picturing some lovely puff pastry concoction with oat streusel and honey glaze! I’m getting a slightly dusty mouthfeel, but it’s not enough to give me any bother.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Hay, Honey, Malt, Oats, Pastries, Sweet

scribbles

You make this sound divine!!! Next time I try it, I’ll have to pay more attention.

Now, I could have very well brought home a whole bag of it for double the price of one cup but I really didn’t wanna bring MOAR tea into the house when I am trying my darndest to sip down my (slightly damp, but still, I can’t bear to throw it out) supply as it is. Atleast not until I know if I like it or not.
Either way, now I know that this is a highly delish tea filled with dark chocolate and malt notes, with a very slight hay-ish backround. There were also moments where I thought I detected a subtle pepper but then it was gone faster than I could blink so don’t quote me on that!
Would love to try this in my gaiwan :)

TeaBrat

I know the feeling :)

gmathis

I keep meaning to write a more analytical note on this one, too, and I keep slurping it up too fast to be very precise!

Indigobloom

TeaBrat, it gets a little overwhelming, trying to manage my addiction :P

When I received a packet of tea treats from*scribbles,* my first thought was, “No…I shall be noble and drink up the dribs and drabs that are already open.”

Yeah, that lasted about 30 seconds.

I like this one! The leaves are long and ribbony, first steep was as bright and coppery as a brand new penny, and plenty of lightly sweet malt and chocolate to think about. Second steep (western style; sorry, I’m a barbarian :) at twice the minutes was still tasty, just had to think a little harder.

This is on the lighter end of the wake-up scale; be sure you’ve had a decent night’s sleep if you drink it in the morning, but if you’re already somewhat awake, you’ll be sufficiently alert to enjoy its subtleties.

Gongfu method
4g 100 ml glass teapot 205F
15/30/45/1min
I combined all steeps in one huge mug. Each steep was really good but not much of a change of flavors. Next time I’ll make it western.
This tea is lovely and so comforting. Rich chocolaty malty, some nuts.
I would drink it anytime of the day.
So glad I picked it on 50% sale . It was a join order and Marzipan placed order , packed and sent back to 4 of us. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Stephanie

Marzipan is awesome. These teas sound nice too! YAY!

Stephanie

You should come chat with us boychik!

boychik

Thanks, I might. Hubby comes tonight. We will replace windows tomorrow . I need to make it neat somehow;)

Stephanie

Oh that definitely sounds more important! :)

looseTman

I thoroughly enjoyed this tea. Believe it or not, Tao Tea Leaf’s Jin Ping Gong Fu Black Tea was even better!!

boychik

i believe you:) i bought that one too

Had to up the rating. This is just my absolute favorite tea of all time. I’ve been trying to ration it so it lasts until the next Tao order, but that’s looking quite impossible at the moment. This stuff is liquid happiness.

Marzipan

I need to crack this one open.

cookies

Oh, you really do. It’s absolutely delightful.

Marzipan

Looks like I need to add it to my next order, this was what I had:
ZhengHe GongFu Black – Jin Ping Village
Da Hong Pao Oolong
Bei Dou Oolong
Tangyang Gongfu Black

cookies

I’m going to send you some, you have to try it. Did you have the ZhengHe or rice shou yet? I thought both were incredible. The Golden Yunnan was kind of meh.

Parsifal

I am going to seek this out… thanks for the review! :)

This morning, courtesy of Scribbles, I’m very pleased to be the first to review Ying De Black Tea from Tao Tea Leaf, Western style: 6 oz. / 4 g / 212*F / 2 min. without sweeteners, milk, or cream.

Intro: “…from Yingde, Guangdong province, China.” “The tea should have a cocoa-like aroma and, like most Chinese black teas, a sweet aftertaste.”

Leaf: Thin and thick twisted dark chocolate-brown leaves 4.5 cm long or less. Forget about measuring with a teaspoon! A digital scale is definitely recommended for this one!
Fragrance: Fine pipe tobacco
Liquor: Clear amber
Aroma: As soon as I removed the lid from the Finum brewing basket, the cocoa-like aroma was immediately evident standing at the kitchen counter.
Flavor: Chocolate with perhaps a hint of Keemun juiciness at the end of the sip.

2-min: A creamy smooth, warm, relaxing, satisfying, full-bodied black tea with rich malty chocolate! that lingers long on the tongue. There was no hint of bitterness or astringency. With each sip the relaxing warmth keeps intensifying and my smile grows larger & larger. Ah! I’m now officially quite content. Near the bottom of the cup there’s a noticeable rich & smooth cocoa flavor.

Resteep
3-min: Malty chocolate that’s extremely well-balanced and very enjoyable.

2nd Resteep
4-min: Not yet …
6-min: Not quite …
8-min: A similar flavor profile but with lighter body.

Impression: A creamy smooth full-bodied black tea with rich malty chocolate. This is a thoroughly enjoyable and recommended black tea.

Many thanks to Scribbles for sharing a generous sample of this very satisfying chocolaty Black Tea.

Method:
RO water re-mineralized with an Aptera filter http://steepster.com/teas/teaware/39532-puregen-aptera-alkamag-water-filter
Brewed western-style conveniently in a tea mug with a brew basket http://steepster.com/teaware/royal-albert/45581-old-country-roses-afternoontea-mugs

Flavors: Chocolate, Malt

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 4 g 6 OZ / 177 ML
DigniTea

I’m waiting for this one to arrive – probably tomorrow. Thanks for the notes reinforcing my decision to take the chance and purchase.

looseTman

Your welcome. I hope you enjoy it!