Ying De Black Tea

Baked Bread, Chocolate, Malt, Sugarcane
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by looseTman
Boiling 2 min, 15 sec 4 g 5 oz / 161 ml

• “I stopped by the shop on Friday whilst running errands and picked up a cuppa. So much yum!!! Now, I could have very well brought home a whole bag of it for double the price of one cup but I really...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1308 tasting notes
  • “When I received a packet of tea treats from*scribbles,* my first thought was, "No...I shall be noble and drink up the dribs and drabs that are already open." Yeah, that lasted about 30 seconds. I...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1717 tasting notes
  • “Gongfu method 4g 100 ml glass teapot 205F 15/30/45/1min I combined all steeps in one huge mug. Each steep was really good but not much of a change of flavors. Next time I'll make it western. This...” Read full tasting note
    boychik 353 tasting notes
  • “Had to up the rating. This is just my absolute favorite tea of all time. I've been trying to ration it so it lasts until the next Tao order, but that's looking quite impossible at the moment. This...” Read full tasting note
    cookies 78 tasting notes

From Tao Tea Leaf

Ying De Black Tea is a black tea from Yingde, Guangdong province, China. It was first produced mechanically in 1959. Much of this great tasting tea is exported and the best kind is called “Ying Hong No.9”. The tea should have a cocoa-like aroma and, like most Chinese black teas, a sweet aftertaste.

Region: Yingde, Guangdong Province.

Steeping Guide:
Teaware: Glass or ceramic Gaiwan
Amount: 3g /1½ teaspoons
Temperature: 100°c (212°F)
Steeping Time: 1 to 2 minutes for the first two steeps and 3 to 5 minutes for the third and fourth.

*These steeping directions are for a traditional Gong Fu style tea, if you are brewing this tea in a regular cup we recommend steeping for 2 – 3 minutes. This tea can also been steeped 4 times.

About Tao Tea Leaf View company

Now, I could have very well brought home a whole bag of it for double the price of one cup but I really didn’t wanna bring MOAR tea into the house when I am trying my darndest to sip down my (slightly damp, but still, I can’t bear to throw it out) supply as it is. Atleast not until I know if I like it or not.
Either way, now I know that this is a highly delish tea filled with dark chocolate and malt notes, with a very slight hay-ish backround. There were also moments where I thought I detected a subtle pepper but then it was gone faster than I could blink so don’t quote me on that!
Would love to try this in my gaiwan :)

TeaBrat

I know the feeling :)

gmathis

I keep meaning to write a more analytical note on this one, too, and I keep slurping it up too fast to be very precise!

Indigobloom

TeaBrat, it gets a little overwhelming, trying to manage my addiction :P

When I received a packet of tea treats from*scribbles,* my first thought was, “No…I shall be noble and drink up the dribs and drabs that are already open.”

Yeah, that lasted about 30 seconds.

I like this one! The leaves are long and ribbony, first steep was as bright and coppery as a brand new penny, and plenty of lightly sweet malt and chocolate to think about. Second steep (western style; sorry, I’m a barbarian :) at twice the minutes was still tasty, just had to think a little harder.

This is on the lighter end of the wake-up scale; be sure you’ve had a decent night’s sleep if you drink it in the morning, but if you’re already somewhat awake, you’ll be sufficiently alert to enjoy its subtleties.

Gongfu method
4g 100 ml glass teapot 205F
15/30/45/1min
I combined all steeps in one huge mug. Each steep was really good but not much of a change of flavors. Next time I’ll make it western.
This tea is lovely and so comforting. Rich chocolaty malty, some nuts.
I would drink it anytime of the day.
So glad I picked it on 50% sale . It was a join order and Marzipan placed order , packed and sent back to 4 of us. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Stephanie

Marzipan is awesome. These teas sound nice too! YAY!

Stephanie

You should come chat with us boychik!

boychik

Thanks, I might. Hubby comes tonight. We will replace windows tomorrow . I need to make it neat somehow;)

Stephanie

Oh that definitely sounds more important! :)

looseTman

I thoroughly enjoyed this tea. Believe it or not, Tao Tea Leaf’s Jin Ping Gong Fu Black Tea was even better!!

boychik

i believe you:) i bought that one too

Had to up the rating. This is just my absolute favorite tea of all time. I’ve been trying to ration it so it lasts until the next Tao order, but that’s looking quite impossible at the moment. This stuff is liquid happiness.

Marzipan

I need to crack this one open.

cookies

Oh, you really do. It’s absolutely delightful.

Marzipan

Looks like I need to add it to my next order, this was what I had:
ZhengHe GongFu Black – Jin Ping Village
Da Hong Pao Oolong
Bei Dou Oolong
Tangyang Gongfu Black

cookies

I’m going to send you some, you have to try it. Did you have the ZhengHe or rice shou yet? I thought both were incredible. The Golden Yunnan was kind of meh.

This morning, courtesy of Scribbles, I’m very pleased to be the first to review Ying De Black Tea from Tao Tea Leaf, Western style: 6 oz. / 4 g / 212*F / 2 min. without sweeteners, milk, or cream.

Intro: “…from Yingde, Guangdong province, China.” “The tea should have a cocoa-like aroma and, like most Chinese black teas, a sweet aftertaste.”

Leaf: Thin and thick twisted dark chocolate-brown leaves 4.5 cm long or less. Forget about measuring with a teaspoon! A digital scale is definitely recommended for this one!
Fragrance: Fine pipe tobacco
Liquor: Clear amber
Aroma: As soon as I removed the lid from the Finum brewing basket, the cocoa-like aroma was immediately evident standing at the kitchen counter.
Flavor: Chocolate with perhaps a hint of Keemun juiciness at the end of the sip.

2-min: A creamy smooth, warm, relaxing, satisfying, full-bodied black tea with rich malty chocolate! that lingers long on the tongue. There was no hint of bitterness or astringency. With each sip the relaxing warmth keeps intensifying and my smile grows larger & larger. Ah! I’m now officially quite content. Near the bottom of the cup there’s a noticeable rich & smooth cocoa flavor.

Resteep
3-min: Malty chocolate that’s extremely well-balanced and very enjoyable.

2nd Resteep
4-min: Not yet …
6-min: Not quite …
8-min: A similar flavor profile but with lighter body.

Impression: A creamy smooth full-bodied black tea with rich malty chocolate. This is a thoroughly enjoyable and recommended black tea.

Many thanks to Scribbles for sharing a generous sample of this very satisfying chocolaty Black Tea.

Method:
RO water re-mineralized with an Aptera filter http://steepster.com/teas/teaware/39532-puregen-aptera-alkamag-water-filter
Brewed western-style conveniently in a tea mug with a brew basket http://steepster.com/teaware/royal-albert/45581-old-country-roses-afternoontea-mugs

Flavors: Chocolate, Malt

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 4 g 6 OZ / 177 ML
DigniTea

I’m waiting for this one to arrive – probably tomorrow. Thanks for the notes reinforcing my decision to take the chance and purchase.

looseTman

Your welcome. I hope you enjoy it!