Bergamot, Chinese Black Tea
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by nicklong
Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 34 oz / 1000 ml

• “(Part 2 of my Ritz-Carlton Story. For Part 1, see English Breakfast by Taylors of Harrogate) I had a lot of time to kill, so I really took my time to savor that breakfast, dipping my asparagus...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2855 tasting notes
  • “Oh sweet morning, made all the sweeter by enjoying Mr. Grey! A beautifully caffeinated china black leaf tea with a nice heafty shot of bergamot. I could've had a malty assam, or a light ceylon. ...” Read full tasting note
    abmedium 33 tasting notes
  • “Early this morning I made some of this to put on ice in the refrigerator. It worked out well. The result is a nice clear iced tea. If I do this again, I will steep for one minute less or add a...” Read full tasting note
    Doulton 255 tasting notes
  • “This morning's tea experience was a little bit of a comedy of errors. Except it really wasn't all that funny. I had to make a larger-than-normal quantity of tea so I pulled out my *big* tea pot -...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes

From Taylors of Harrogate

Our authentic Earl Grey uses finest quality black China Congou leaf blended with the essential oils of the bergamot fruit, which has a fresh, citrus flavour. This combination creates one of the world’s most elegant and well-known speciality teas.

About Taylors of Harrogate View company

I had a lot of time to kill, so I really took my time to savor that breakfast, dipping my asparagus in the hollandaise. The food was quite tasty, although the steak could have been a little more rare, but it was tender, none the less.

For dessert, I had a pot of this Earl Grey with stevia added. It is nothing remarkable, but at the moment it felt like a sweet after breakfast treat, and satisfied the desire for something sweet to contrast with the savory meal I had eaten.

Indigobloom

great when tea just hits that perfect spot!

Kittenna

Mmmmmm, asparagus in hollandaise!

Terri HarpLady

Oh yeah!
Once in awhile I make Hollandaise (using Earth Balance buttery spread, or occasionally with coconut oil), & we’ll have what I like to call, “Brussels Benedict”. It’s caramelized brussels sprouts, topped with eggs & the sauce.
Optional: Bacon, canadian bacon, ham, prosciutto, fried tofu, or whatever. Sometimes I use broccoli or cauliflower, & sometimes it’s just the sauce & any veggie for dipping. I put dill, garlic granules, & capers in my Hollandaise. Now I want some…

Kittenna

Sounds delish. I like to make copious amounts of very lemony hollandaise, and eat it with asparagus and/or smoked salmon eggs benedict. drools

Terri HarpLady

Oh yeah, smoked salmon is on my list too.
I always like a like of veggies, as I don’t eat gluten or grains

Oh sweet morning, made all the sweeter by enjoying Mr. Grey! A beautifully caffeinated china black leaf tea with a nice heafty shot of bergamot. I could’ve had a malty assam, or a light ceylon. This morning I wanted some astrigency. I wanted to enjoy a delicious statement of flavor. I think some would be shocked at the amount of sugar I use with my half and half. Oh well, to each his/her own. I give this tea a full five minute steeping. I want the color to show a deeply abyssful dark copper.

Tonight I facilitate another spirit circle. I organize a group of folks in Los Angeles who enjoy working on their psychic mediumship abilities. We look forward to communicating with the deceased, and all of the other lovely heartfelt energies that come through. So I guess I could say I have four favorite loves: Music, Paranormal, Tea, and Cooking. Almost done with the Earl now. I highly recommend this tea if you are a fan of caffeine, serious amounts of Bergamot, and enjoy China black tea. This morning bold is better!

Early this morning I made some of this to put on ice in the refrigerator. It worked out well. The result is a nice clear iced tea. If I do this again, I will steep for one minute less or add a pinch less tea. I added two brown sugar ice cubes to the hot tea (it was in a 24 ounce pitcher so it won’t be too sweet). Trumpets did not blare; fireworks did not ignite, but this will make a perfectly serviceable iced tea for frequent summer consumption (for me the year has but two seasons: winter and summer).

This morning’s tea experience was a little bit of a comedy of errors. Except it really wasn’t all that funny. I had to make a larger-than-normal quantity of tea so I pulled out my big tea pot – and forgot it had no in-spout strainer about half way through the pouring. Oops. Between pouring the mugs out into the nearest receptacle, finding something to strain the tea with, straining said receptacle and remaining tea, dripping everywhere, using the wrong receptacle and, oh yeah, forgetting to start the timer in the first place, I have no idea how long this tea ended up steeping for. More than 3 minutes. Less than 10. But even with all that going on, this tea wasn’t ruined so I consider that a win.

As for the tea itself… meh. It’s apparently decently forgiving (I did use a little bit of sugar and half & half but less than a tsp for my 12oz) but my unenthusiastic response is really in relation to the flavor. It’s a ‘typical’ Earl Grey. And by that, I mean it is kind of floral and perfumy. I guess I have been a bit spoiled by my recent experiences with Andrews & Dunham’s EG which tastes so fresh and juicy. There was no fresh or juicy with this one.

That’s not to say this is horrible. But it’s nothing special. At least it is pretty forgiving, though.

Where to begin? I have read so many good things about this tea and could not wait to sample it… plus finding it locally was very convenient. On opening the box doubt began to set in. There was no aroma of bergamot whatsoever, which lead me to think they might’ve made a mistake at the packing plant and put straight black tea in my box! As it started to brew I realized it was indeed Earl Grey because a faint hint of bergamot could be detected wafting out of the cup.

Added my usual splash of milk with two sugars and prepared to be amazed. I was not. It was indeed an Earl Grey, but more lemony and not as strong as I thought it would be. The tea color was a bit redder than Twinings brand (which has a stronger and better flavor) and the underlying taste of the tea was smokier than I anticipated…which isn’t a bad thing.

All and all, not a poor Earl Grey but not a great one either.

N.B. This review is for the bagged version.

This is a solid Earl Grey. The bergamot is strong, which is no problem as far as I’m concerned, and more orange-tasting than most. It pretty much overshadows the base—I can tell it’s strong, and it feels like it’s packing a nice caffeine punch, but it’s hard to discern any particular flavors. Lupicia’s EG is still my favorite, but I find it convenient to have a bagged variety around as well and this fits that slot nicely.

Great tasting tea, on its own or combined with rose petals. The bergamot flavour is strong and delicious.

Boiling 5 min, 15 sec 2 tsp 34 OZ / 1000 ML

I’m not always in the mood for Earl Grey but I buy this tea loose and keep it on hand for Grey cravings. Earl Grey was my favorite starter tea, and the loose variety tastes what I think proper loose leaf earl should taste like. It’s a bit bitter… but I like the bite. It’s a bit oily, but it gives it character. It’s a good mid priced loose leaf to keep on hand (mine was only 7.99). I recommend!

Perfectly satisfactory earl grey in a pinch, but I prefer EG at night time, so I tend towards the decaf.

I buy this loose whenever I can get it! Good to blend with lavender as well.