Bergamot, Chinese Black Tea
Bergamot, Citrus, Artificial, Dark Wood, Tannic, Cocoa, Tea, Burnt, Citrusy, Creamy
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by nicklong
Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 5 g 21 oz / 620 ml

• “(Part 2 of my Ritz-Carlton Story. For Part 1, see English Breakfast by Taylors of Harrogate) I had a lot of time to kill, so I really took my time to savor that breakfast, dipping my...” Read full tasting note
    terri-harplady 3181 tasting notes
  • “Oh sweet morning, made all the sweeter by enjoying Mr. Grey! A beautifully caffeinated china black leaf tea with a nice heafty shot of bergamot. I could’ve had a malty assam, or a light...” Read full tasting note
    abmedium 33 tasting notes
  • “Early this morning I made some of this to put on ice in the refrigerator. It worked out well. The result is a nice clear iced tea. If I do this again, I will steep for one minute less or add a...” Read full tasting note
    Doulton 257 tasting notes
  • “This morning’s tea experience was a little bit of a comedy of errors. Except it really wasn’t all that funny. I had to make a larger-than-normal quantity of tea so I pulled out my...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes

From Taylors of Harrogate

Our authentic Earl Grey uses finest quality black China Congou leaf blended with the essential oils of the bergamot fruit, which has a fresh, citrus flavour. This combination creates one of the world’s most elegant and well-known speciality teas.

About Taylors of Harrogate View company

I had a lot of time to kill, so I really took my time to savor that breakfast, dipping my asparagus in the hollandaise. The food was quite tasty, although the steak could have been a little more rare, but it was tender, none the less.

For dessert, I had a pot of this Earl Grey with stevia added. It is nothing remarkable, but at the moment it felt like a sweet after breakfast treat, and satisfied the desire for something sweet to contrast with the savory meal I had eaten.

Indigobloom

great when tea just hits that perfect spot!

Kittenna

Mmmmmm, asparagus in hollandaise!

Terri HarpLady

Oh yeah!
Once in awhile I make Hollandaise (using Earth Balance buttery spread, or occasionally with coconut oil), & we’ll have what I like to call, “Brussels Benedict”. It’s caramelized brussels sprouts, topped with eggs & the sauce.
Optional: Bacon, canadian bacon, ham, prosciutto, fried tofu, or whatever. Sometimes I use broccoli or cauliflower, & sometimes it’s just the sauce & any veggie for dipping. I put dill, garlic granules, & capers in my Hollandaise. Now I want some…

Kittenna

Sounds delish. I like to make copious amounts of very lemony hollandaise, and eat it with asparagus and/or smoked salmon eggs benedict. drools

Terri HarpLady

Oh yeah, smoked salmon is on my list too.
I always like a like of veggies, as I don’t eat gluten or grains

Oh sweet morning, made all the sweeter by enjoying Mr. Grey! A beautifully caffeinated china black leaf tea with a nice heafty shot of bergamot. I could’ve had a malty assam, or a light ceylon. This morning I wanted some astrigency. I wanted to enjoy a delicious statement of flavor. I think some would be shocked at the amount of sugar I use with my half and half. Oh well, to each his/her own. I give this tea a full five minute steeping. I want the color to show a deeply abyssful dark copper.

Tonight I facilitate another spirit circle. I organize a group of folks in Los Angeles who enjoy working on their psychic mediumship abilities. We look forward to communicating with the deceased, and all of the other lovely heartfelt energies that come through. So I guess I could say I have four favorite loves: Music, Paranormal, Tea, and Cooking. Almost done with the Earl now. I highly recommend this tea if you are a fan of caffeine, serious amounts of Bergamot, and enjoy China black tea. This morning bold is better!

Early this morning I made some of this to put on ice in the refrigerator. It worked out well. The result is a nice clear iced tea. If I do this again, I will steep for one minute less or add a pinch less tea. I added two brown sugar ice cubes to the hot tea (it was in a 24 ounce pitcher so it won’t be too sweet). Trumpets did not blare; fireworks did not ignite, but this will make a perfectly serviceable iced tea for frequent summer consumption (for me the year has but two seasons: winter and summer).

This morning’s tea experience was a little bit of a comedy of errors. Except it really wasn’t all that funny. I had to make a larger-than-normal quantity of tea so I pulled out my big tea pot – and forgot it had no in-spout strainer about half way through the pouring. Oops. Between pouring the mugs out into the nearest receptacle, finding something to strain the tea with, straining said receptacle and remaining tea, dripping everywhere, using the wrong receptacle and, oh yeah, forgetting to start the timer in the first place, I have no idea how long this tea ended up steeping for. More than 3 minutes. Less than 10. But even with all that going on, this tea wasn’t ruined so I consider that a win.

As for the tea itself… meh. It’s apparently decently forgiving (I did use a little bit of sugar and half & half but less than a tsp for my 12oz) but my unenthusiastic response is really in relation to the flavor. It’s a ‘typical’ Earl Grey. And by that, I mean it is kind of floral and perfumy. I guess I have been a bit spoiled by my recent experiences with Andrews & Dunham’s EG which tastes so fresh and juicy. There was no fresh or juicy with this one.

That’s not to say this is horrible. But it’s nothing special. At least it is pretty forgiving, though.

Where to begin? I have read so many good things about this tea and could not wait to sample it… plus finding it locally was very convenient. On opening the box doubt began to set in. There was no aroma of bergamot whatsoever, which lead me to think they might’ve made a mistake at the packing plant and put straight black tea in my box! As it started to brew I realized it was indeed Earl Grey because a faint hint of bergamot could be detected wafting out of the cup.

Added my usual splash of milk with two sugars and prepared to be amazed. I was not. It was indeed an Earl Grey, but more lemony and not as strong as I thought it would be. The tea color was a bit redder than Twinings brand (which has a stronger and better flavor) and the underlying taste of the tea was smokier than I anticipated…which isn’t a bad thing.

All and all, not a poor Earl Grey but not a great one either.

N.B. This review is for the bagged version.

It is morning and I just finished my first cup of tea for the day, Earl Grey by Taylors of Harrogate. A decent black China tea with a noticeable shot of bergamot. Out of the many Earl Grey teas out there, while this is not my absolute favorite it is one that I would probably purchase twice. I am drinking it from the beautiful Anne of Green Gables cup that my friend Bonnie brought back for me earlier this summer from Prince Edward Island. Does a beautiful cup, given with love by a friend make the tea taste better? In a way it does. At least it definitely adds a positive touch to the experience.

Flavors: Bergamot, Citrus

Paid HK$88 (roughly GBP7.5, USD11.5) for 125g loose leaf.
I will choose Twinings’ classic Earl Grey over Taylors’ any day.
Taylors’ Earl Grey tasted flat, the bergamot flavour tasted artificial, at least to me. I had to take this tea with sugar, couldn’t finish the cup plain black.

I will not re-purchase this tea. Actually it may take me a while just to finish this tin.

Note: I always make my tea in teapot. I put 240ml water at first steep, another 240ml second steep.

Flavors: Artificial, Dark Wood, Tannic

Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 5 g 8 OZ / 240 ML

I made this one like an English person— brewed Western style, milk in first, no sweetener.

It was HEAVENLY. I have never drunk Earl Grey with milk before, but oh my God, I’m never drinking this one without it again! It gave it like this creamy, fruity, tannic, chocolatey, scrumptious dimension that has been previously untapped by me (I almost always take my tea black).

Bumping up the rating.

Flavors: Bergamot, Burnt, Citrusy, Cocoa, Creamy, Tannic

Tabby

Dang, now I need to try this.

Teatotaler

I am in firm agreement with you. Earl Grey is one of the very few teas to which I usually add milk. It is a known fact that Queen Elizabeth II takes her morning Earl Grey with a dash of milk. Earl Grey with milk is, quite literally, a tea fit for a queen! :)

[Rating the bagged version…] It was okay. I’ve been shoving it around in my tea cupboard. It tastes burnt, or smoky, or whatever you want to call it (and, yes, I tried steeping it for a lot less time, same result), and the bergamot is just not the flavor I’d like it to be. It’s there, mind you, and in force, but it’s more flagrant and floral than a deep delicious bergamot. I might just have a unique idea of the perfect Earl Grey. :)

Flavors: Burnt

This is a solid Earl Grey. The bergamot is strong, which is no problem as far as I’m concerned, and more orange-tasting than most. It pretty much overshadows the base—I can tell it’s strong, and it feels like it’s packing a nice caffeine punch, but it’s hard to discern any particular flavors. Lupicia’s EG is still my favorite, but I find it convenient to have a bagged variety around as well and this fits that slot nicely.