Yorkshire Gold Bags

Edit tea info Last updated by Barb

From Taylors of Harrogate

Yorkshire Gold Tea is a blend of some of the world’s finest teas from countries such as India, Sri Lanka and Africa,
and has a rich, refreshing taste.
It makes a rich brown liquid with a malty taste. This is a very popular English Breakfast type tea, and makes a stronger tea best enjoyed with milk and sugar to taste.

About Taylors of Harrogate View company

Friday Apr. 8, 2011
2nd Steep of the Day
My wife wanted some Yorkshire Gold but likes it LITE.
So she steeped a POT and ADDED a FRESH SLICE of LEMON.
Her SHORT 45 SECOND Steep with the added Lemon was Very Pleasant.
But I Like a Good BOLD Strong Steep.
So Going for the BLACK Currant NEXT
Keep On Steepin

Now, THIS is what I wish I had been brought up on instead of Lipton. I’m thinking maybe it just wasn’t imported to the States for many years — otherwise, my Anglophile grandmother would certainly have insisted upon it despite living in the deep south.

So glad I picked up somewhere that I shouldn’t over-steep. I think I steeped only about 3 min., added half-and-half but no sugar. Now I understand what malty means.

I have been drinking wimp teas for breakfast. Not that those others aren’t lovely, and I won’t be able to drink this stuff every morning, but I’m definitely keeping it on hand at work and at home for those mornings when I just need to get over myself and buckle down!

Just OK. Not sure why everyone else raves about this one. Compared to PG Tips, this was flat and missing something. Compared to Yorkshire Tea (the red label), was flat and bitter.

Danics

Yet, your score was 85/100? I’m missing something…

ClassieLassie

I didn’t hate the tea, I just didn’t like it. It was drinkable, if not as drinkable as other teas of that style I have had and really enjoyed; however, compared to those same other teas in that style, it wasn’t as good as the reviews – both here, in other location online, in books, and by word of mouth – I’ve heard or read about it gave me to believe.

I grade teas like my mom did her student’s essay papers.

Bad Ratings that are low numbers are for the truly bad teas and would be called a low F on a report card. For example, the Tea as a student shows up and only manages to get his or her name and date on the paper correct. The resulting liquid (the essay) does not look, smell, or taste anything like what was expected and no amount of fiddling with temperatures and times, nor tweaking of add-ins can help.
This is for truly horrible teas that are undrinkable, no matter the tweaking.

What I call mid-grade ratings would be B’s and C’s on a 1988 american school report card. In this “stretching it” metaphor of teas as students writing an essay, these teas get the message of the essay across (the tea looks like tea in tea cup), but they have misspelled words (noticeably longer or shorter brew times), incorrect tenses (varying from norm water temperature), less than stellar grammar (require a lot more additives). These are Mediocre teas that are horrible alone but become better with excessive tweaking (Examples: brewing at a lower temp than the tea type calls for, or adding excessive amounts of sugar or dairy, or a dairy with a higher fat content than tea can usually tolerate) get between a B and C grade rating.

Truly stellar Teas as students may need some minor tweaking to meet my taste, but they generally deliver a delicious cup of tea using the directions provided, it can be drunk on its own, if needed, and using substitute items (for example: powdered milk or condensed milk instead of fresh) and delivers that same flavor and experience every time I brew it/drink it. These get the high marks – As on the report card, 90-100 on the ratings.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Cliff note version:
Teas that require minimal to no tweaking and produce a consistently quality cuppa get high marks 90-100.

Teas, like Yorkshire and Yorkshire Gold, that require more amounts of tweaking and produce quality cups, but are still drinkable; or the extra tweaks occur back end (more or different sugar, more or different or particular types/amounts of dairy or citrus add-ins) get high C’s and B’s grades in the 76-89 range.

Teas that remain completely undrinkable, no matter how much I tweak the temperature, brew time, add ins, environment and atmosphere, whathaveyou. These teas obtain grades in the very very low F range, usually with ratings of 1 number only.

All the lovely numbers between 20 and 70?

Those are reserved for other people to rate as they will.

However, the day may come that I like a tea’s name but it tastes horrible – that tea might get a 22 on whimsy.

Smooth as a velvet… mellow as gold. It’s hard to decide weather I should brew Clipper or this treasure now…

OK, this tastes a bit more mellow than the Yorkshire “red”…and surprisingly makes a much better cup. I prefer my tea strong, but this was a nice change of pace.

A VERY good backup for my everyday tea PG Tips.

I absolutely adore this tea. I tried it when I first visited England in October 2010, and now it’s my daily cuppa. It is quite strong, but the flavour is rich and satisfying.

Do not over steep, or this tea will taste like cheese. Actually it kinda tastes like cheese anyways, but it’s good enough you kinda ignore it. It is a delicious tea, but very strong if overbrewed, and it turns bitter easily. It’s very strong and has a lot of caffeine, and will stain anything you put it on. But it’s awesome tasting and fairly cheap, so it’s worth it.

A strong dark tea that does seem to go well with breakfast. Not overly bitter. Current box does not have the bright sweet notes that our previous box had, which I think I liked a bit better. Have drunk it plain so far, but will try it with milk and sugar.

I was hoping for PG Tips, which is what all the British ladies in the Daughters of the British Empire meetings drink, but found none when I went to the store, so I bought this. I hated it at first because I was steeping it far too long. Luckily one of the aforementioned ladies taught me never to go over three minutes with it and it went from being awful to a nice cuppa with milk and sugar.

This is one of my all time favourite black teas. Have to have a cup of this with breakfast.