Edit tea info Last updated by
Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

From Taylors of Harrogate

Our finest Assam tea is grown in the Brahmaputra Valley in north-east India. We select only superior teas from the second flush season, when the quality is at its very best. The flavour is rich with a distinctive malty taste found only in teas from Assam, making it deliciously invigorating for breakfast and throughout the day.

Use a warmed teapot and add one teaspoon of tea per person and an extra ‘one for the pot’. Add freshly boiled water and infuse for 4-5 minutes. Serve with or without milk to taste.

About Taylors of Harrogate View company

I’m trying to learn more about black teas and since I love Scottish Breakfast from Taylors of Harrowgate, I started with their Pure Assam.

This is a good alternate for my usual breakfast/morning cup, but it didn’t strike me as extraordinary in any way. It’s a serviceable, hearty, robust waker-upper. I didn’t detect any bitterness or astringency. I’m not sure I’m experienced enough yet to correctly identify “maltiness.” If that means “having a slight sweetness,” that applies here. I steeped for 4 minutes; the water was not boiling. I added about 1/2 oz. 2% milk to a cup that holds 8-9 oz. total, and no sugar.

Quite good assam. Rivals Dobra teas FANCY assam. I’ve only had their loose leaf, and it’s really one of the best assams I’ve had. Not a typical breakfast tea, the malty taste is noticeable, but not cloying. Overall, this is one of my favorite teas. It is impossible to overbrew it, and if you brew it for more than 2 minutes, to underbrew it. This is one of the few teas that I can get 2-3 decent steepings from, though by the 3rd, it gets a very slight bitter tone and is much weaker. The 2nd is just as good as the first. I brew at boiling, but I have experimented with different temperate. Easily accessible, cute box, reasonably priced.

A good all-round black tea, with typical Assam malty overtones. A reliable standby tea for first thing in the morning.

Turned out bitter this time, probably too hot of water.

You can get this stuff in either loose-leaf or bagged format. It’s not my favorite Assam, but for a basic kick-around variety, especially bagged? Nice. It’s not too malty for my liking.