Lapsang Souchong

Edit tea info Last updated by cthorpe

From Taylors of Harrogate

Lapsang Souchong has an unusual smoky flavour and it is one of the world’s great teas, so well worth trying.

After plucking, the leaves are withered in baskets over smoking wood fires, imparting a distinctive smoky flavour to the tea.

Served with or without milk, Lapsang Souchong goes well with spicy, salty or smoked foods.

About Taylors of Harrogate View company

Feeling lazy tonight. I’ve been using bags all day. I’ve had about six cups of Adagio’s Ginger Peach, but I’m bored of that. So out comes the Lapsang!

I went to go harass collect eggs from the chickens while this was steeping. Two from Cora, one from Addie and one from Mabel. (That’s assuming, of course, that they haven’t been stealing each others’ eggs… Cora lays green eggs, though, so we know which ones are hers!)

Came back, decided that I really didn’t want hot tea, poured it into a different cup, filled this one with ice cubes, then poured it back over the ice. I didn’t plan for this to be iced, so it’s a bit light in flavor, but that’s perfect.

Just the right amount of smokiness here. It’s a little bit malty and a little bit spicy. I think I’ll spend the rest of the night in bed with Netflix and a few cups of this :)

Kiaharii

Ahh chickens! I’ve always wanted chickens (technically I sort of majored in chickens in college). What breeds do you have?

Michelle

Did you really? How so?

We’re not really sure what we have… we’re not too fancy with them! They’re all Bantams, but I think they’re generally mixed… Cora we’re fairly sure is at least part Americauna, green eggs and all, but the breeder referred to our others as “Sparkle” hens. So we don’t really know!

Barb

I don’t think I’ve ever tried icing lapsang souchong. I do like Taylor’s, though, and I’ve only had their bags. No milk?

Kiaharii

Woo this got lost, sorry about no reply! I majored in Animal Science and focused on poultry and swine. :) Haha “sparkle” hens, no idea what those are! :)

Bonnie

Girl after my own heart! Play with the LS!

Just riding back from historic Naples Florida where my mother and I had lunch at Brambles English Tea Room, while Rowan and grandpa went to the park. The owners were Brits and our waitress Jasmine had a lovely accent from I’m not sure where. It was Victorian in decor, pink floral wallpaper and floral china tea cups and small pots. They served almost exclusively Taylor’s of Harrogate (a brand I had heard mentioned the opening weekend of our Teavana store by a busy body tea anglophile customer who just wanted to name drop an talk about who was drinking what) with the exception of a few house blends. My mom had their take on a Royal Wedding Tea with strawberries, kiwi and mango with a salmon salad I had this Lapsang Souchong with my Cornish Pasty which were a fine paring. The tea was medium on the smoke, slightly sweet and quite smooth. It was a bag but whatever. I asked what kind of oolong and she just tried to explain what an oolong was to me but in doing so described it as green and mild so that answered my question. I picked up an over the cup strainer to replace my one that was blackening, this one has a stainless steel mesh body and its own drip base so that’s fabulous. I also picked the husband up some Japanese Cherry Tea just because and treated my mom to some Royal Wedding Tea for at home. I accidentally tipped 20% on the subtotal (three items from the gift shop on top of the meal) tipping the final total to $81, oh well hopefully Jasmine enjoy, she taught is how to pronounce pasty. Lovely afternoon.

Current fave: steeped long to bring out the smoky flavor/aroma.

Not a fan of lapsang souchong, my father loves this brand though. When brewed it almost smells like smoked mozzarella.

I am a lover of Lapsang Souchong, and of Taylors of Harrogate in general. This tea is pretty good. I don’t particularly love fannings in my tea bag, which this is, but there is a nice smokiness to this tea. I used two tea bags , covered while steeping, added a tablespoon of agave, no milk, and some ice cubes to drink it faster (I am a baby with excessive heat). I’m satisfied with how this came out.

Delightful! I like it with milk.

maybe could do with a bit less of a steep. i usually steep the loose leaf lapsang souchong for 6 minutes, but this bag version seems to have just a bit of a bitter aftertaste. i haven’t tried the loose leaf variety of ToH’s LS; however this comes across as a bit gentler, less smoky than over leafed versions of said tea. still, it’s very tasty & on a cold end of january morning like this one, it’s a good pick me up. i can imagine the crackling fire.

Whoa! I wanted to like Lapsang Souchong – a grandmother figure from my childhood always drank it – but this is just too smokey for me. I can’t get past the smoke to discern any other flavors. Is Taylors of Harrogate representative? Is there anything out there that like a Lapsang Souchong but a little more approachable?

cookies

I know this was a while ago, so I’m not sure if you found anything, but Russian Caravan teas are a milder form of Lapsang. It’s a blend of black teas along with Lapsang which gives a much more approachable scent of smoke.

Delicious. Very pleasantly surprised. Warm and very slightly spicy towards the end of the mug, a very “tamed” smokiness, excellent.

Among my favorites. First heard of this variety years ago while reading Centennial by James Michener — fascinated by the description of the mountain man’s first taste of this “smoky, tarry” tea. I probably sampled Twinings the first time. Started sampling Taylors teas a couple of years ago and this one is one I always have around. I take it with milk or half-and-half.